Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved.

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
luke999
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved.

Post by luke999 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:23 am

I am having this problem with the News Feeds. When I click on the feeds that have valid feed url, I get the message in the banner ‘Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved’. I have searched this forum and I have found several people with similar questions. When I tried some of the suggestions in the post none really works.

I would be grateful if anyone is kind enough to let me know how to resolve this issue. Please let me know if the problem might be due to the settings by the hosting company. My feed display module when published is also showing ‘error loading feed data’. (I have switched –off the feed display now). I assume there is some generic problem in my settings which is preventing the feeds from being displayed.

URL showing the issue:
http://emedicinelive.com/index.php?opti ... ss-general

SEO setting
1) Search Engine Friendly URLs – Yes
2) Use Apache mod_rewrite – No

Cache Settings
1) Cache –Yes
2) Cache time – 15 minutes

PHP settings
allow_url_fopen = Off (even when I keep this On it doesn’t work)
allow_url_include = Off (even when I keep this On it doesn’t work)
max_execution_time = 15
max_input_time = 60
memory_limit = 32M

Thanks in advance

HildaOROZCO
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved.

Post by HildaOROZCO » Thu May 07, 2009 3:27 pm

I am having this problem with the News Feeds too.
When I click on the feeds that have valid feed url, I get the message in the banner ‘Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved’.
SOMEBODY ???? PLEASE

brittsanne
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brittsanne » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 pm

I have the exact same problem has this issue been solved yet?

JakesCT
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JakesCT » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Go to Extensions->Module Manager select administrator and change the position to C-Panel, mine was named "Joomla! Security Newsfeed" Disable that and the message will g away... Well worked for me :)

tgwelch
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tgwelch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:37 am

Fixed for me after changing from PHP 4 to PHP 5 on GoDaddy Linux shared hosting.

learwbc4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by learwbc4 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:00 pm

the problem with everyone's suggestion about disabling the admin feed is that that fix doesn't fix the feed errors on the front-end of website.

when you get feed error in back-end, the front-end also has error with the syndicate components and modules.

what causes these errors? why can't the components and modules retrieve feed data and display it?

learwbc4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by learwbc4 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:03 pm

want an example of what i mean?

go here: http://kavabar.com/index.php?option=com ... d=4:joomla

i disabled the admin feed and i don't get that error in admin control panel anymore, but see how the front-end is not solved?

we need a solution for front-end as well.

note: click on one of the feed links to get errors.

learwbc4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by learwbc4 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:17 pm

i forgot to mention that i don't just want to suppress errors, i want the feeds to actually display.

Studiogroup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Studiogroup » Sat May 15, 2010 6:59 am

It doesn't appear that there is any recent help on this. I first started trying to find help here for newsfeeds problems nearly a year ago... and still can't solve the problem or get any info on it. The last site I did, I had to use Drupal instead of Joomla, because Joomla (lastest versions) all have newsfeed problems with no solutions. Check out the Joomla.org demo news feeds. They don't even work on the joomla site.

Newsfeeds used to work back in joomla ver 1.5.12 but somewhere, evidently undocumented changes were made and no one seems to know where to look for the answer.

I've even tried all the 3rd party modules and plug-ins for newsfeeds... they don't work either. I was willing to pay for a pro module, but the people that offer them do not offer help in english, they just give a "buyer beware... be sure you want this we don't make refunds" notice.

If I ever find an answer I'll be happy to share it with you. I hope you'll do the same.

Studiogroup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Studiogroup » Sun May 23, 2010 11:48 am

Not sure if this will help you or not. I updated to the latest version of php and mysql on the server -- and caused all my drupal and joomla sites to crash. :-) While looking for a hack to fix the problems, I found one to modify the help.php file in mod_mainmenu. I gave it a try and it fixed the newsfeeds problem, and then I applied the upgrade package files to the sites, which I was assuming were the same as the latest distribution files -- and all the problems went away. So, I'm not sure which of the three things I did fixed it -- but now it works.

Thanks again!

elder
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by elder » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 pm

I had this problem recently on a brand new installation of version 1.5.18. I eventually discovered that, because I had put the installation in a sub folder, it was running an old version of PHP. I had to add an ".htaccess" file to run a later version of PHP and then this error disappeared.

So, I would suggest looking at your System Info settings (under Help - System Info) and checking both your PHP and database versions. It's also worth looking in the Installation Forum as older versions of Joomla won't run on more recent versions of PHP (and vice-versa). It's a bit of a minefield but I've now got 1.5.18 working happily on PHP 5.2.0 with MySQL 4.1.15 (and later versions of both).

The bottom line is: the problem is not with the Joomla files themselves so much as with the underlying technologies. You have to juggle versions of all the software to get a viable combination!

arjis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by arjis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 am

Well.. I didn't fix it in the software... but I did fix it.

I brought the feed I wanted to display to feedburner.google.com and let it do its thing. When the link came out the other end, I took that link and put it into Joomla and the feed now displays all the news and topics.

EXAMPLE:
My desired feed

http://wcco.com/neweconomy/resources_rss.xml
This fails epic on Joomla's News feed display on page. "Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved."

After taking that link and loading it into feedburner.google.com, the link looks like this:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/wcco/Aasp

And displays:

Newsfeeds
Minneapolis/St. Paul Breaking News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports for Minnesota from WCCO-TV
Minneapolis/St. Paul Breaking News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports for Minnesota from WCCO-TV

It is using the Google Feed Burner to aggregate the feed. Maybe Joomla needs a different module loaded for it to work. I was receiving exactly the same error as the topic of this thread points out.

I don't know why it works, it just does.

Try the 2 links above for yourself, and see if the second one works for you.

I hope this helps somebody. For what I do with news feeds... it sure helped me.

:^)

reddove
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by reddove » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:45 pm

I seem to have the same issue with a few RSS feeds. I am implementing several RSS feeds for different sources. One is Washington post and I can read the feeds via an RSS reader on Google.com, but not able to get them to work on Joomla 1.5.
Normally, the individual feeds work fine.
But, I get this message now from Washington Post.
Error loading feed data.
Error. Feed not retrieved.

I’ve enabled Syndicate and Feed display, but it only displays one feed title, not allowing to view all feeds when a user selects an individual feed. Feed display only shows up in a module position.

I also have feedgator component installed, don’t really care for it. It too only pulls one RSS link. it.
RSS Reader component.

CNN, CNBC, and BBC, etc.

Suggestions.

click2shop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by click2shop » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:38 am

arjis wrote:Well.. I didn't fix it in the software... but I did fix it.

I brought the feed I wanted to display to feedburner.google.com and let it do its thing. When the link came out the other end, I took that link and put it into Joomla and the feed now displays all the news and topics.

EXAMPLE:
My desired feed

This fails epic on Joomla's News feed display on page. "Error loading feed data, Error. Feed not retrieved."

After taking that link and loading it into feedburner.google.com, the link looks like this:

And displays:

Newsfeeds

It is using the Google Feed Burner to aggregate the feed. Maybe Joomla needs a different module loaded for it to work. I was receiving exactly the same error as the topic of this thread points out.

Thanks your second link worked like a charm, but how do I convert the feeds I want to use with feeder.com? I have tried my rss feeds but it stil won't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
If you would be so kind and explained how you do it.

click2shop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by click2shop » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

click2shop wrote:
arjis wrote:Well.. I didn't fix it in the software... but I did fix it.

EXAMPLE:
My desired feed

And displays:

Newsfeeds

Thanks your second link worked like a charm, but how do I convert the feeds I want to use with feeder.com? I have tried my rss feeds but it stil won't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
If you would be so kind and explained how you do it.
Ok I got some feeds to work this way others won't. seems like feeds with images in it won't work. Thanks again you were a huge help!

hernandoweb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hernandoweb » Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Possible solution for some:Try the Permissions on the feed XML files.

When I first transferred my site I got a nasty error message from a ProJoom flash banner but it gave me a link to their site with a fix; which was to change the permissions on the xml file for the module.

tmk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tmk » Sun May 08, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't know if I should be feeling ashamed or not but this is my 5th year, kept revisiting the feeds component & always I remain so tired. please, people give some info, joomla team??? some of us really want to stick to joomla and our clients want to see external feeds pulled through...

prashantb423
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by prashantb423 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks @click2shop

Your suggestions are worked me.

Can anyone having any other solution of joomla 1.5 newsfeeds.

on following error

Error. Feed not retrieved

Return to “Administration 1.5”