How to build Responsive Joomla Template?

Everything to do with Joomla! 2.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
HeartFreedom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to build Responsive Joomla Template?

Post by HeartFreedom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi,

Could anybody guide me how to make a joomla template? and how to make it responsive? I am new to Joomla Templating so plz tell me what would be best option for creating a joomla template?

- And what are the frameworks provided by some companies e.g. T3 Frame work by JA and Warp by Yoo theme? How these frameworks work?

-And there are some software available like Artisteer and Template Creator CK. Are they useful in making templates? any idea?

Thanks

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: How to build Responsive Joomla Template?

Post by operafox » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm

First of all I would stay clear of automated solutions like artiseer and such if you want to learn how to make templates. And you need to learn html/css. I would advice you to start making templates without using any of those frameworks to understand the basics. Then when you do get the hang of it you may consider using a framework for the sake of efficiency.
Making a template responsive is done with css.

so
1.learn html/css
2.learn joomla templating

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by operafox » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm

float-right
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by float-right » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:19 am

It's probably best to take an existing responsive template and modify it to your requirements. I've made one specifically for that purpose, so you don't need to learn Joomla templating.

It's free, fast, lightweight and free of crapware links. http://joomlafuture.com

You will still need an understanding of css at least though.
Top-tip: marking your posts as "Urgent!", when they clearly aren't, will most likely get you ignored.

Please don't PM me with anything other than *Personal Messages*! If you have a Joomla question, post it in the forum.

HeartFreedom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HeartFreedom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 pm

operafox wrote:First of all I would stay clear of automated solutions like artiseer and such if you want to learn how to make templates. And you need to learn html/css. I would advice you to start making templates without using any of those frameworks to understand the basics. Then when you do get the hang of it you may consider using a framework for the sake of efficiency.
Making a template responsive is done with css.

so
1.learn html/css
2.learn joomla templating
Thanks operafox for nice advice.
Actually I have've working on html websites years ago! And I got some idea about css as well. So I guess it wont be tough for me to work on templates. But what about PHP? Should I need to learn it as well? Because I am not good in coding, programming and algo etc....

And what is the best framework for Responsive Joomla templates?

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by operafox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi

You don't have to know php very well to make a basic template, you can rely on copy/paste to great extent. Allthough, if you want to make more advanced template features it obviously comes in handy.

I find it a bit hard to describe the difficulty level of learning joomla templating, it depends on your ambitions and current skills. I mean as with most things the more experienced you get the easier it seems.

As far as frameworks go, I won't claim to have the full overview of what all of them is currently capable of. I do occationally have to use them, but I find it often limits your creativity to some degree - you get into this mindset of fitting things into a standard layout scheme. But I guess that can sometimes be a good thing, especially if you are a beginner. I've used Joomlart's T3 framework and rockettheme's Gantry Framework. T3 supports responsive layouts out of the box. Gantry currently doesn't support this (allthough it is possible to modify it to make it responsive). Rumours say Gantry will be released with responsive support this month.

But like I said, I would strongly advice you to first learn templating from scratch (without using a framework) if you want to gain a solid understanding of how it works.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Go to Rockettheme. There this monts template is a responsive template for different phones etc. It is build on the Gantry framework.
http://demo.rockettheme.com/?template=kirigami
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

HeartFreedom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HeartFreedom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 am

pvh123 wrote:Go to Rockettheme. There this monts template is a responsive template for different phones etc. It is build on the Gantry framework.
http://demo.rockettheme.com/?template=kirigami
So Rockect Theme's Gantry got Responsive?

And what abt non-responsive extentions? Do they work on responsive templates?

Dzumla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Dzumla » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Actually you don't need to know PHP at all to make any template for joomla, with a good framework all you need is HTMl and CSS. I suggest checking out yougrids, I used it for a while and I could do most things with it.

HeartFreedom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HeartFreedom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 pm

And what About the Extensions? Do the old J2.5 Extensions work in Responsive templates? And can we use old language tranlations in responsive or we need to modify them as well?

float-right
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by float-right » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

HeartFreedom wrote:And what About the Extensions? Do the old J2.5 Extensions work in Responsive templates? And can we use old language tranlations in responsive or we need to modify them as well?
If you are using joomla 2.5 then 2.5 extensions will work. The template has nothing to do with that, just think of the template as a particular type of extension.

Will they be responsive? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the extension. Putting an extension with fixed widths inside a responsive template will not make it responsive.

Language and responsive? Totally unrelated, the template has zero affect over the language capabilities of your site.
Top-tip: marking your posts as "Urgent!", when they clearly aren't, will most likely get you ignored.

Please don't PM me with anything other than *Personal Messages*! If you have a Joomla question, post it in the forum.

amzbananaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amzbananaz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:49 pm

float-right wrote:It's probably best to take an existing responsive template and modify it to your requirements. I've made one specifically for that purpose, so you don't need to learn Joomla templating.

It's free, fast, lightweight and free of crapware links. http://joomlafuture.com

You will still need an understanding of css at least though.
how do i go about modifying your template? can this be done with in joomla?

joes021
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by joes021 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm

HeartFreedom wrote: -And there are some software available like Artisteer and Template Creator CK. Are they useful in making templates? any idea?

Thanks
You can try http://www.creativetemplatedesigner.com/
free website studio

Software for making web sites

supotmaild
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by supotmaild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Here are Developing a Template Contents for 2.5 :pop

http://docs.joomla.org/Chunks:Developin ... e_Contents

Introduction
Part 01 - Developing a Basic Template
Part 02 - Adding a stylesheet
Part 03 - Adding module positions
Part 04 - Translation
Part 05 - Adding Parameters
Part 06 - Using overrides

searchresults
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by searchresults » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 am

Custom Web Design Toronto: We should use html file & CSS 3 to create or develop responsive joomla template & have to write 3CSS files according to the devices.

raazlancer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by raazlancer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:20 pm

You can use responsive template frameworks like Joomlart T3, Rockettheme Gantry, Yootheme Warp, Gavick Gavern, Helix, Expose, JV Framework to build responsive template for your joomla website. All these template framework is responsive and they are free.
Hire Me On Freelancer.com : https://www.freelancer.com/u/dezefy
Visit My Website : https://dezefy.com

mnmbrand
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mnmbrand » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:10 am

Hello Guys

I, also, would like to know how to build responsive Joomla templates without the Frameworks and any pre-made structures. The purpose for this is to gain total control of creativity and develop unique, yet efficient, functional websites. I may also be interested in developing templates for sale, maybe with my own type of Framework. So, using the existing Frameworks does not empower the mind with the development perspective of things. For some of us, this business is not just about taking what is easy, adjust it here and there and get done with it. I want to learn and understand more and better in order to get creative and innovative with development.

So, where can one learn how to develop Joomla templates from scratch? (I use Adobe Dw)
Where can one learn making templates Responsive and efficient?

Thanks

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 2.5”