Windows server VS Linux

Discussion regarding Joomla! Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
peewhy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Windows server VS Linux

Post by peewhy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:23 am

I am torn between windows server and linux.

Is there any real benefits between one or the other, does one perform better or is it a matter of personal choice?

clhereistian
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Windows server VS Linux

Post by clhereistian » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:34 pm

One is WAY cheaper , both n terms of software cost and in minimum hardware requirements! They both have their advantages and disadvatages. If you are running your own web server, and aren't familiar with Linux, it will take a while to learn. They both work serve web pages extremely well. But in my opiniion, for an application like Joomla, where you're running Apache and MySQL, you may as well use Linux.
Last edited by clhereistian on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.idea-machine.net - Our Joomla site

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:02 pm

While Joomla does run on Windows and IIS, it is developed on Apache. You can run Apache on Windows, but the installed base for Apache is much bigger on Linux. If you are comfortable with both, I would personally go for the Linux platform.

peewhy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peewhy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks for that.

It doesn't cost me any more to put it on windows or linux...equally I have no technical knowledge of either.

I only thought about Linux because I read it was better for SEF

Is this true?

steinefrenz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by steinefrenz » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Whether you run Linux or Windows has nothing to do with SEF. I assume you are referring to Apache's mod_rewrite vs IIS. If you are not familiar with Linux run Windows with Apache, if you are comfortable with both run Linux with Apache. Having loaded mod_rewrite you can switch on SEF in each case.

Michael
http://www.24ix.de

Bifford
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Bifford » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

My latest client decided to go with 1and1 for their hosting. I too didn't know any difference between Windows and Linux server so went with Windows.

And then I run into tons of troubles.

Joomla directory and file permissions all went "bye bye and trotted off to nevernever land" so I had to use their file manager to alter them all to what they should be - my ftp program (DOpus) wouldn't touch the permissions.

I also had to spend a further £7 to buy an add-on to DOpus that allowed me to use the FTP in "Secure SSL Implicit" mode (whatever the hell that is) just to be able to access the ftp properly.

And once I finally did get Joomla to install properly any changes to the configuration.php file had to be done manually as it kept reverting to "unwritable".

Turns out all of this is probably due to having a Windows Server and not a Linux one. So I've now rung them and am getting the package swapped to Linux which will take 3-5 days. (And I have until the end of the month to get a basic site up lol).

My advice - go Linux.

My secondary advice - don't touch 1and1 with a bargepole!

Sam.

Return to “Performance - 1.0.x”