Joomla! 2.5 -> 3.0 migration path

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Beluga
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla! 2.5 -> 3.0 migration path

Post by Beluga » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 am

Now that it was revealed in the beta announcement that 2.5 -> 3.0 will be a migration, I would like to know every possible detail about this before the actual release hits. What is the official plan?
Btw., I've been very amused thinking about the old "pulling a Nooku" -jab by Andrew Eddie. Who's pulling what now? :D I hope hair-pulling will be minimal.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Joomla! 2.5 -> 3.0 migration path

Post by alikon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 am

Version 2.5 of the Joomla! CMS is a Long Term Support release and support for it will continue until shortly after the release of Joomla 3.5 scheduled for Spring 2014. Users do not need to migrate to Joomla 3.0.
so in my opinion we all have sufficient time
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Beluga
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Beluga » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am

alikon wrote:
Version 2.5 of the Joomla! CMS is a Long Term Support release and support for it will continue until shortly after the release of Joomla 3.5 scheduled for Spring 2014. Users do not need to migrate to Joomla 3.0.
so in my opinion we all have sufficient time
No, not "we all". You might have plenty of time, but me and all the other guys, who will move to 3.0 do not have a lot. Sorry, but it doesn't make sense to announce a version and then tell people to skip it ;)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:16 am

The normal evolution is 2.5->3.5

3.0 is for developers that are making extensions for the 3.x series or new sites that need any of the new features in 3.0. If none of those apply stay with 2.5.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 am

the STS version like the 3.0 are not for newbie /end-user but for power-user/developer
the LTS version are for all and 2 years of time seems a reasonable time
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Beluga
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Beluga » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:24 am

Ok, that might be the idea and philosophy, but do you really think people, regardless of their newbieness, are going to go "mm.. finally a nice looking backend, which doesn't scare my clients.. naaaah, I'll wait for 3.5!!"?? I am a power ranger .. I mean user, so don't worry about me, but we should be prepared for a whole lotta newbie anguish!

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:24 am

is quite usual in IT, see Ubuntu or Windows just for some example
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 am

I may be mistaken, however I thought (or hope) the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.5 would be transparent, somewhat similar to other software.

I would not upgrade to 3.0 unless I had a compelling reason to do so.

Beluga
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Beluga » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:19 am

Potus001 wrote:I may be mistaken, however I thought (or hope) the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.5 would be transparent, somewhat similar to other software.

I would not upgrade to 3.0 unless I had a compelling reason to do so.
Think about it: if 2.5 to 3.0 is a migration, how can 2.5 to 3.5 NOT be a migration also?

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 am

There is no way 2.5 to 3.5 will be transparent for anyone running non-stock extensions. So far, it appears that all of my extensions will require major revisions before becoming compatible with Joomla 3.x.

What's worse, is that I'm getting different results with each included admin template. This is going to be a nightmare.
My extensions: http://extensions.joomla.org/profile/pr ... ails/18398
Honk if this signature offends you.

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:36 am

That's one of the purposes of 3.0 - for developers of non-stock extensions to check them out for compatabilty.

For any freebies you'd have to hope that they will test them out, although they may have no obligation to do so.

If they are commercial extensions, then they should be updated, if not compatible.
They might even be upgraded should they need to use any new features.
Upgrade of 1.5 to 2.5 was a major change, and some developers, for whatever reason, decided not to upgrade their extensions.

Hopefully, there should not be any problems with them, if 3.5 proves to be a good update of 2.5. Let's hope that 3.0 will identify any problems, e.g. compatablity, if they exist before 3.5 goes live.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:52 am

You misunderstand. I have personally released 31 free extensions in the JED. 3.x means that I'll be rewriting 31 extensions for compatibility - and supporting 62 (2.5 and 3.x)

This means a ton of work - an absolute load.

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:11 am

stutteringp0et wrote:You misunderstand. I have personally released 31 free extensions in the JED. 3.x means that I'll be rewriting 31 extensions for compatibility - and supporting 62 (2.5 and 3.x)

This means a ton of work - an absolute load.
If 3.0 works, as we do hope it does, your extensions should not need updating.

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 am

I've been testing, so I already know it won't be a seamless transition. I've already tested several of my extensions and they all require significant modification to operate in 3.0.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:02 am

I've already tested several of my extensions and they all require significant modification to operate in 3.0.
i've tested my extesions too and they don't require significant modification
could you show what kind of significant modification have you discovered ?
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

stutteringp0et
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by stutteringp0et » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 am

So far, minor PHP, but major JS modifications where administration UI is concerned. The entire DOM structure of the plugin and module configuration screens changed - so everything that worked in 2.5 fails in 3.0. I suppose it's not necessarily bad if the UI elements are left in their natural state - but I like to show and hide elements when they are/aren't needed. Since both of the /administrator templates are so different, I would be forced to write separate JS for each admin template....

Since I've mentioned the configuration screens - who's bright idea was it to leave 80% of the page empty? Tabs are great, unless it makes pages look totally empty.

Potus001
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Potus001 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:54 am

stutteringp0et wrote: The entire DOM structure of the plugin and module configuration screens changed - so everything that worked in 2.5 fails in 3.0. I suppose it's not necessarily bad if the UI elements are left in their natural state - but I like to show and hide elements when they are/aren't needed.
I think that's the situaition with any major software updates/changes.

If you don't update any of their software then it should be OK.
You have done some changes, for whatever reason, so one can't really blame Joomla if anything goes wrong.

I have been affected by software updates for many years in other environments.
Some things did work previously, although they should have failed, due to design limitations in the earlier releases. Once the software had been updated, some programs had to be updated or rewritten.
stutteringp0et wrote: Since I've mentioned the configuration screens - who's bright idea was it to leave 80% of the page empty? Tabs are great, unless it makes pages look totally empty.
Interesting question. I'm sure there must be a good reason. Mind you, it might change for 3.5. That's the whole point of an STS. Issues do arise and, hopefully resolved, prior to LTS.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Beluga,
Beluga wrote:Now that it was revealed in the beta announcement that 2.5 -> 3.0 will be a migration, I would like to know every possible detail about this before the actual release hits.
The core Joomla 2.5 component "Joomla! Update" will handle migrating the Joomla core from 2.5 to 3.0. There's a setting within the component's
options to go from a LTS version to STS version (e.g. 2.5 to 3.0). So that will part will be easy thanks to the people who contributed to the updater and Joomla 3 :) Users just have to make sure that their environment meets the requirements of the Joomla 3 core (also that they have Magic Quotes GPC to off on their server)
http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

The only other part is making sure Joomla extensions on the 2.5 site are Joomla 3 compatible. The trickiest part will likely be the templates, as the core layouts have changed.

As always, it's recommended to backup your sites and to test on a test server first. This is a must.

Also, please note that Joomla 2.5 will be supported for another year, so there's no rush at all to migrate.

In summary, make appropriate backups (just in case) and test on a test site first. The Joomla core will be a "one-click" update, but extensions need to be tested for Joomla 3 compatibility. Joomla 2.5 will be supported for another year, so there's no rush to update.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Nick
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Alikon,
alikon wrote:the STS version like the 3.0 are not for newbie /end-user but for power-user/developer
Off the top of my head, it's only 1.5 years for the LTS.

Kind regards,
Nick

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

bellybling
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bellybling » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Is it possible to upgrade from 2.5 directly to 3.5 in the spring or do you see this middle release as necessary?

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 pm

i believe that will be the normal upgrade path from 2.5 to 3.5
without the need of 3.0 , 3.1 etc..
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm

bellybling wrote:Is it possible to upgrade from 2.5 directly to 3.5 in the spring or do you see this middle release as necessary?
There will likely be a direct upgrade path from 2.5 to 3.5.

Kind regards,
Nick

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Joomla 3 is here :) Go to http://www.joomla.org/3/ to find out more.

Also, visit the FAQ at http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_3.0_FAQ to find out more.

Looks like Joomla made it easy for us :)

Kind regards,
Nick

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:16 am

[Mod note: Moved from 2.5 General Forum to 3.0 Upgrade Forum; ]
To help you, in the future, find the correct forum for your topic please read the Which forum to post your question that I have put together.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:47 am

Nick Savov wrote:Hi Alikon,
alikon wrote:the STS version like the 3.0 are not for newbie /end-user but for power-user/developer
Off the top of my head, it's only 1.5 years for the LTS.

Kind regards,
Nick
Correction, it's officially 21 months (1.75 years), lol. We should probably just round it to 2 and make it easy, since Joomla keeps extending the support time for each release, so 2 is closer :)

In short, each major release (e.g. Joomla 3.x series) has around 3 years of support.

Here's one the FAQ's for Joomla 3:
Each major release of Joomla is supported for about 3 years and includes one-click upgrades. For example, the 2.x series (which included 1.6 and 1.7 due to naming conflicts) has a support life of about 3 years (January 2011 until spring 2014). 1.6 to 1.7 was a one-click upgrade. 1.7 to 2.5 was a one click upgrade. 2.5 will be supported until spring of 2014. So the 2.x series has a little over three years of support and, overall, it was a smooth experience for users and extension developers.

The 3.x series will have about 3 years of support as well. 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.5 will be one-click upgrades and should, overall, be smooth transitions for users and developers as the 2.x series was.

Because Joomla's new timed-release cycle makes moving from major version to major version (e.g. 2.x to 3.x) relatively simple (see the below FAQ's for more information), users get the added benefit of compounded support, where they can move from major version to major version to get continued and uninterrupted support.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 am

Joomla 3.0.0 Released
Created on Thursday, 27 September 2012 15:46

joomla-3.0

The Joomla! Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Joomla 3.0.0. This is the next major release of the Joomla CMS in the Standard Term Support (STS) track. All 3.0 users will need to plan to update to the new versions available in the STS release cycle every six months until version 3.5 is released. These updates are expected to be simple and backwards compatible.
Who is this release for?

The standard-term releases are designed for users who need access to the new features. Most users with existing 2.5.x sites will not want to update to version 3.0. Users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.0, depending on which best suits their needs. Please consider the availability of third-party templates and extensions when deciding which Joomla version to use. Also, if you decide to use version 3.0, please be aware that you will need to update your site every six months (to 3.1, 3.2, and so on) until version 3.5 is available. These updates are expected to be simple and backwards compatible.
What is the status of Joomla! 2.5?

Version 2.5 of the Joomla! CMS is a Long Term Support (LTS) release and support for it will continue until shortly after the release of Joomla 3.5, scheduled for Spring 2014. Users on version 2.5 do not need to migrate to Joomla 3.0.
What is the status of Joomla! 1.5?

Support for Joomla 1.5 will end shortly after the release of Joomla 3.0. It is currently supported only for security issues.
Will I be able to update directly from 2.5 to Joomla! 3?

Yes. Any update issues will be a top priority and will likely be resolved early in the 3.x release train. However, it is likely that many templates and extensions for Joomla 2.5 will need modification to work with Joomla 3. Always test prior to migrating and consult with the developers of any extensions and templates you use. Be aware that the technical requirements for running Joomla 3.0 are different. In addition to requiring newer versions of software, certain settings that were once recommmened are now required such as requiring that magic quotes is off. See the Technical Requirements page for the specifications. See the Joomla 3.0.0 Post-Release FAQs for more detailed information about updating from 2.5 to 3.0.
What are the new features of Joomla! 3?

Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package.
A new responsive, mobile device friendly administrator template--Isis-- and interface.
A new front end template--Protostar-- built using Twitter Bootstrap.
Updated accessible template called Beez3.
A simplified 3-step installation process.
PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
PHP Memcached Driver
Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
Guest user group present by default
Saving blank articles allowed
New administrator statistics module
Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
Improvements to Smart Search
Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
Unit testing in the CMS
Updated system tests in the CMS
Custom active menu item for menu module
Let the SEF plug-in add the canonical url to the head
Version 12.2 of the Joomla Platform

This release also includes the current version (12.2) of the Joomla! Platform, which includes a large number of new and improved packages.
Download

New Installations: Click here to download Joomla 3.0.0 (Full package) »

See the Download page for other packages and information on updating.

Note: Please read the Joomla 3.0 FAQ and the update instructions before updating.
Instructions

New installation and technical requirements
Update from 2.5.x to 3.0.x
Migration from Joomla! 1.5.x

Want to test drive Joomla? Try the online demo or the Joomla JumpBox. Documentation is available for beginners.

Please note that you should always backup your site before upgrading.
Release notes

Check the Joomla 3.0.0 Post-Release FAQs to see if there are important items and helpful hints discovered after the release.
Statistics for the 3.0.0 release

Joomla 3.0.0 contains:
34 new features added (includes 15 features added in 2.5.1 - 2.5.7)
No security issues fixed
491 tracker issues fixed

Joomla! Bug Squad

Thanks to the Joomla Bug Squad for their dedicated efforts investigating reports, fixing problems, and applying patches to Joomla. If you find a bug in Joomla, please report it on the Joomla! CMS Issue Tracker.

Active members of the Joomla Bug Squad during this last release cycle include: Aaron Wood, Andrea Tarr, Bill Richardson, Brian Teeman, Christophe Demko, Dean Clarke, Dennis Hermacki, Elin Waring, Emerson Rocha Luiz, Harald Leithner, Itamar Elharar, Jacob Waisner, James Brice, Janich Rasmussen, Jean-Marie Simonet, Kevin Griffiths, Loyd Headrick, Marijke Stuivenberg, Marius van Rijnsoever, Mark Dexter, Matt Thomas, Michael Babker, Neil McNulty, Nicholas Dionysopoulos, Nick Savov, Nikolai Plath, Ofer Cohen, Peter Wiseman, rachmat wakjaer, Radek Suski, rob clayburn, Roland Dalmulder, Rouven Weßling, Rune Sjøen, Samuel Moffatt, Shaun Maunder, Soheil Novinfard, Troy Hall, Viet Vu.

Bug Squad Leadership: Mark Dexter, Coordinator; Elin Waring and Marijke Stuivenberg, Team Leaders.
Joomla! Security Strike Team

A big thanks to the Joomla! Security Strike Team for their ongoing work to keep Joomla secure. Members include: Airton Torres, Alan Langford, Bill Richardson, Elin Waring, Gary Brooks, Jason Kendall, Jean-Marie Simonet, Jeremy Wilken, Marijke Stuivenberg, Mark Dexter, Michael Babker, Rouven Weßling, Samuel Moffatt.
How can you help Joomla development?

The great news is you don’t have to be a developer to help build Joomla. The Joomla Bug Squad is one of the most active teams in the Joomla development process and is always looking for people (not just developers) that can help with sorting bug reports, coding patches and testing solutions. It’s a great way for increasing your working knowledge of Joomla, and also a great way to meet new people from all around the world.

If you are interested, please read about us on the Joomla Wiki and, if you wish to join, email the Bug Squad coordinator.

You can also help Joomla development by thanking those involved in the many areas of the process. Since the release of Joomla 2.56, a whopping 4915 issues have been fixed by the JBS. The project also wants to thank all of the people that have taken the time to prepare and submit work to be included in Joomla 3.0, and to those that have worked very hard on the Joomla Platform project.
Related information

If you are an extension developer, please make sure you subscribe to the general developer mailing list as this is a place where you can discuss extension development and news that may affect custom development will be posted from time to time.

Following is a list of previous news and information about Joomla 3.0 and other sites of interest:

Working with the Joomla Feature Tracker
General developer mailing list
Joomla developer network
Joomla development strategy

A huge thank you to our volunteers!

This release is the result of thousands of hours of work by dozens of volunteers. Thank you so very much for making Joomla the best CMS on the planet!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”