Proposed new translation facility

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Proposed new translation facility

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:56 am

We are not speaking of translating sites here, but translating and packaging the UI strings.

I doubt that any volunteer Translation team (99% are not professional translators) would ever pay and use a commercial tool limited to a specific OS as the ones you provide. The existing online collaborative sites (which most of us, as said above, think are not fit to our needs) at least let use their facilities for free to GPL scripts.

The "market" just does not exist and I frankly do not see why you post here if you are not even willing to have a look at Joomla files and how they work.

NOTE: Your post has been reported as self promotion, but I left it to permit clarification.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

paulfilkin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulfilkin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:02 am

infograf768 wrote:We are not speaking of translating sites here, but translating and packaging the UI strings.
The "market" just does not exist and I frankly do not see why you post here if you are not even willing to have a look at Joomla files and how they work.

NOTE: Your post has been reported as self promotion, but I left it to permit clarification.
Hi,

ok. I have to say I am astounded by your response. I posted in here with a genuine desire to help someone who said they were unable to open these files with Studio, which is one of our products. I'm not trying to sell you anything, only offerred some help.

I also think if you believe that the market doesn't exist then you are wasting your time with Joomla in the first place. But I don't think this is the reality... there is of course a huge market.

However, thanks for your time and if anyone does want to see how they can handle these files with our commercial software (in the event you happen to be using it already... not because I want to sell it to you) then feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Paul

paulfilkin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by paulfilkin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi,

I did actually get 65 ini files from an interested person who is using Studio already. So I have created an sdlftsettings file that you can use for these files "if" you are using the commercially available SDL Trados Studio 2011 for your translation work. This settings file will allow you to extract the translatable text only from these files and put the translated version back in again afterwards.

The file is here,
joomla.zip
, so download, unzip and add to your filetypes through the Tools -> Options -> Filetypes. If you don't know how to do this drop me a mail.

Regards

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

akerbeltz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by akerbeltz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Well, it would seem I'm the 1% then who actually ARE involved in professional translation AND are doing Joomla AND happen to have Trados anyway. Fancy that.

So from me at least, Paul, thanks very much for taking the time to check this out and offer a solution to people who happen to have Trados anyway. And personally, I don't see the self-promotion bit... it's not like you asked people to buy Trados...
Do, or do not. There is no try.

ot2sen
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by ot2sen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Paul :)

The people from the translation teams may not recognize that this was a fine gesture from one of the larger professional translation software providers at the market.

But some of them will, as there are more joomla translators involved in professional translation.
The joomlashpere of translators is huge and I regularly are in contact with volunteers that also work in translation as their main profession. They will like your contribution made here.
On their behalf, thanks!
Ole Bang Ottosen
Dansk frivillig Joomla! support websted - joomla.dk
OpenTranslators Core Team opentranslators.org

setx
I've been banned!

Post by setx » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am

infograf768 wrote: 2. To know about ini files, just install joomla and look into the language folders
hi sir,
I read in an article that was written :
Language upload facility
Currently 3rd party developers spend a lot of time on getting language
packs ready, which are easily made redundant when a new version of
their component is released. Part of community driven translations
should be an upload facility where users can upload any of their
locally installed Joomla components to the Joomla translation
facility. A script will parse the submitted INI language file and
automatically create a new project for this component (if it does not
already exists). After which anybody can help to translate this joomla
app. The automatic language package builder means that after it is
translated online with Narro, all a user needs to do is select its
translation to be installed in com_language.

Can you advise what the issue really will be formed? Thank you

paulfilkin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

SDL Trados Studio 2014 - settings file for Joomla ini

Post by paulfilkin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:13 am

Hi,

I received an email from a user today through the messaging system of this board asking whether we had a settings file for the latest version of Studio which is SDL Trados Studio 2014. Unfortunately I cannot see the message in here when I log in and I can't replay by email as the only address I have is a no_reply_forum at joola.org. So hopefully this message will be seen by the person asking the question.

The same settings file that I provided for Studio 2011 works with Studio 2014. At least it worked with the ini files I was provided last time.

If there is a problem, or the files for translating are different and not the ini files please free to email me and I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can create a filetype for whatever you are translating.

Regards

Paul
[mail address deleted by moderator: good for bots.... The mail button is below]

Pariya
I've been banned!

Post by Pariya » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:57 am

hi paulfilkin
thanks for your help
i think your emails removed
i will send you PM

rutin
I've been banned!

Post by rutin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

setx wrote:locally installed Joomla components to the Joomla translation
The other important advantage it´s you dont have to do anything to have a multilingual site using the joomla multilanguage core. This extension creates the menus, modules, categories, content...for each language.

akerbeltz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by akerbeltz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

rutin, but unless I've missed some major development, we still have to go through the complicated process of building the langpacks so other people can use them?

rutin
I've been banned!

Post by rutin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:42 am

If text is dynamic, how will you add translations then? As it might be n values of strings?

akerbeltz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by akerbeltz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:11 am

Sorry but are we talking about the same thing? The translations for the user interface bits? We're not talking about the translation of page content.

Return to “Translations”