How to embed UStream Live channel on my Joomla 2.5 Website?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
tk748
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to embed UStream Live channel on my Joomla 2.5 Website?

Post by tk748 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Hello All,

I am finding it difficult to impossible to embed my UStream live channel in my Joomla 2.5 site. I have tried ustream.tv extension, whispervideo extension and even [spam] extension (with a [spam] channel). I have searched google and bing for instruction on how to use the extensions and asked at forums (with no answers offered). I can't get anything to work.

Is there someone here that is willing to walk me through getting my Ustream live channel configured for Joomla. ???

Thank You for any help you can offer.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: How to embed UStream Live channel on my Joomla 2.5 Websi

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 am

Probably the best way is to use Ustream's most current IFrame embed code.
But you will need to deal with the Joomla-eats-your-embed-code issue.
Put the IFrame code in an article or in a 3rd-party custom HTML module.

There is also a Ustream plug-in for J2.5 which is no longer in the JED.
http://www.navabrindsol.com/services/jo ... category/1
It is a bit rough around the edges but I have tested this extension and it does work.

██ LibreTraining

tk748
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tk748 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi kenmcd

Thank you for responding. I have done as you instructed. The attached screen shot shows the embed code in an article but not the ustream video frame that should be there. Can you tell me what is going wrong here?
Article Screen Shot1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Given the sort of jumbled mess of code there (including some pieces of Live-stream.com embed code), my guess is you have been adding/editing in WYSIWYG mode and ended-up with a broken mess.

Switch the editor to HTML mode and clean-out all the broken HTML code.
Or switch the editor selected to No Editor which will show only HTML.
██ LibreTraining

tk748
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tk748 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm

OK, I managed to get my ustream live channel embeded and working. Here is how I did it:

Changed editor, in global configuration, to TinyMCE. No editor didn't seem to do the job.
Created a new menu item and selected Iframe Wrapper as the Menue Item Type. In the Basic Options tab in the URL box, I entered this modified embed code:

http://www.ustream.tv/embed/askr8wo5c89 ... ode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;">

In the Scroll Bar Parameters tab I selected NO in the scroll bars option. In the width option Ientered 560, in height option 360 and pressed save.

My original embed code (with channel number changed for privacy) looked like this:

<iframe width="480" height="302" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/vmf837033j?v=3&wmode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>
<br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Live broadcast by Ustream</a>

I read in another fourm post to only enter, in the URL box, the part of the embed code that came after src= and was between quotes (as in " "). I have highlighted in bold and underline the part of my embed code that I used.

I don't know why this works. I simply kept at it until the pieces came together. Some of the entries don't match like the width and heigth numbers and the code is obviously only paritial but it works.

I hope this helps others with the same problem. Thank you for your help with this. I have included a screen shot of my web page with the ustream channel as it is now.
SC7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Interesting solution.

But do not include the trailing ">

The wrapper/iframe is going to surround the link (and code) you enter within " quotes.
So adding the closing " quote and the > is going to create broken HTML on your page.
This broken HTML may cause display problems in some browsers.

██ LibreTraining

kaiguara
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kaiguara » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 pm

I just wanted to say thanks. I had tried a number of solutions for getting the ustream player embedded. This was the only solution I got. And it works PERFECTLY!!!

THANK YOU!!! :D

tk748 wrote:OK, I managed to get my ustream live channel embeded and working. Here is how I did it:

Changed editor, in global configuration, to TinyMCE. No editor didn't seem to do the job.
Created a new menu item and selected Iframe Wrapper as the Menue Item Type. In the Basic Options tab in the URL box, I entered this modified embed code:

http://www.ustream.tv/embed/askr8wo5c89 ... ode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;">

In the Scroll Bar Parameters tab I selected NO in the scroll bars option. In the width option Ientered 560, in height option 360 and pressed save.

My original embed code (with channel number changed for privacy) looked like this:

<iframe width="480" height="302" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/vmf837033j?v=3&wmode=direct" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>
<br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Live broadcast by Ustream</a>

I read in another fourm post to only enter, in the URL box, the part of the embed code that came after src= and was between quotes (as in " "). I have highlighted in bold and underline the part of my embed code that I used.

I don't know why this works. I simply kept at it until the pieces came together. Some of the entries don't match like the width and heigth numbers and the code is obviously only paritial but it works.

I hope this helps others with the same problem. Thank you for your help with this. I have included a screen shot of my web page with the ustream channel as it is now.
SC7.JPG

Pual Nakanishi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pual Nakanishi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:58 pm

I am green hand, and use Joomla 2.5.16 .
I don't know the following step:
Created a new menu item and selected Iframe Wrapper as the Menue Item Type. In the Basic Options tab in the URL box

Could you tell me more detail>

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”