Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
diadoraman1974
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby diadoraman1974 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Hello,

I want to update my site in joomla 1.5 to joomla 2.5 without loss of content.
How can I do that ?

Thanks

User avatar
emanipur
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:58 am
Location: Imphal
Contact:

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby emanipur » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 am

http://emanipur.org
Top Web designing team in Imphal,Manipur(India).

diadoraman1974
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby diadoraman1974 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 am

Hello,

Thanks for your answer but when I try to push the JUpgrade button, nothing happens ...
How can I solve that problem ?
Greetings

User avatar
emanipur
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:58 am
Location: Imphal
Contact:

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby emanipur » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 pm

http://emanipur.org
Top Web designing team in Imphal,Manipur(India).

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 30882
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby Webdongle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Make a manual backup of the files and database ... transfer to localhost (xampp is good for localhost http://www.apachefriends.org ). Then you can update on localhost and not worry if the update fails because you can keep trying on localhost. Once you have updated you can then work on upgrading your site.

There are several extensions available for upgrading. But ... after transfering my site to localhost I used http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... port/12816 to export Articles and users. When you select a Section it exports all associated Categories and Articles and creates the sections/categories as categories/sub categories.

I then installed Joomla 2.5(without sample data) and imported the data with http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/15807 .

This gave me a clean 2.5 with the original Sections, Categories and users. 1.5 Sections and Categories became nested Categories in 2.5. Thus keeping the structure intact.

All that needed to be done then was create the menus, find extensions and a Template. Care must be taken finding a Template because some free Template suppliers have hacked Templates.
Last edited by Webdongle on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
'When I'm right nobody remembers when I'm wrong nobody forgets.'
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/tutorials/joom ... lhost.html

diadoraman1974
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby diadoraman1974 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Webdongle wrote:Make a manual backup of the files and database ... transfer to localhost (xampp is good for localhost http://www.apachefriends.org ). Then you can update on localhost and not worry if the update fails because you can keep trying on localhost. Once you have updated you can then work on upgrading your site.

There are several extensions available for upgrading. But ... after transfering my site to localhost I used http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... port/12816 to export Articles and users. When you select a Section it exports all associated Categories and Articles and creates the sections/categories as categories/sub categories.

I then installed Joomla 2.5 and imported the data with http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tion/15807 .

This gave me a clean 2.5 with the original Sections, Categories and users. 1.5 Sections and Categories became nested Categories in 2.5. Thus keeping the structure intact.

All that needed to be done then was create the menus, find extensions and a Template. Care must be taken finding a Template because some free Template suppliers have hacked Templates.


Hello,

Is there a possibility to export the template (on joomla 1.5 site) to your Joomla 2.5 installation ?

Greetings

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 30882
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby Webdongle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:45 pm

diadoraman1974 wrote:...
Is there a possibility to export the template (on joomla 1.5 site) to your Joomla 2.5 installation ?
...

Sort of ... in that it can(in many cases) be converted http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_a_Joom ... Joomla_2.5 . But AFAIK there is no tool to convert it so you will need to edit files.
'When I'm right nobody remembers when I'm wrong nobody forgets.'
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/tutorials/joom ... lhost.html

diadoraman1974
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby diadoraman1974 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Webdongle wrote:
diadoraman1974 wrote:...
Is there a possibility to export the template (on joomla 1.5 site) to your Joomla 2.5 installation ?
...

Sort of ... in that it can(in many cases) be converted http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_a_Joom ... Joomla_2.5 . But AFAIK there is no tool to convert it so you will need to edit files.


Hello,

Thanks.
But I lost the ZIP file from my template. I only have the template on my Joomla 1.5 installation.
So is there a possibility to copy the template to a new joomla 2.5 installation ? (Template was not free)

Greetings

User avatar
Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 30882
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Update Joomla 1.5 to 2.5

Postby Webdongle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 pm

diadoraman1974 wrote:...
But I lost the ZIP file from my template. I only have the template on my Joomla 1.5 installation.
So is there a possibility to copy the template to a new joomla 2.5 installation ? ...

No, as already stated ... it would have to be converted.
'When I'm right nobody remembers when I'm wrong nobody forgets.'
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
www.weblinksonline.co.uk/tutorials/joom ... lhost.html


Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests