Password Protected PDF files

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
kadkinson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Password Protected PDF files

Post by kadkinson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Is there a way to have pdf files password protected? I want to display links to the pdf files for people to download off of the site, but I would like for people to have to enter a password to be able to view/download the files.

Blaise15
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Password Protected PDF files

Post by Blaise15 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Interesting preoccupation...
I suppose a ... simple ... way to do this is by linking the article giving access to the PDF to a specific group of logged users. If your goal is to identify who downloaded what, I suppose a certain tracking is possible on identified users.

Blaise

kadkinson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kadkinson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

In order to view our website, people do not have to login. We simply want the pdf document links to be password protected. Is this possible?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:15 pm

1. You can password protect the directory in .htaccess.

2. Take a look at Phocadownload. You can set access rights to the download.
If set to "Reigstered", not logged in users will be taken to the login first.

Blaise15
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Blaise15 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:34 pm

kadkinson wrote:In order to view our website, people do not have to login. We simply want the pdf document links to be password protected. Is this possible?
In my understanding, 1.6 offers a lot of "sub grouping" and web site segmentation. It would then be possible to ask to register, login or enter a password just for a few particular pages, even only one containing the link to one PDF.
My main concern for a file or directory "locked" would be for the user experience, lead to a download opportunity and then getting an access denied message.
Per Yngve Berg 2. Take a look at Phocadownload. You can set access rights to the download.
If set to "Reigstered", not logged in users will be taken to the login first.
Looks interesting and there is a Joomla! 1.6 ready version.

Blaise

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:51 pm

JZmuda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JZmuda » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I needed to have a password protected PDF file as well. After reading this stream of posts looked outside of Joomla for a solution since making people register and log on to the site was unnecessary. I found that you can password protect your PDF document through Adobe Acrobat Pro. By selecting Properties under File. Select the Security tab and change the Security Method to Password Security and follow the remaining steps that the program walks you through.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”