What We want from Joomla! 3.5

Do you have an idea for the Joomla community that you can help implement? Discuss in here.
un10cked
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

What We want from Joomla! 3.5

Post by un10cked » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 am

Frontend module editing:

Sometimes it is really hard for some users to edit the modules at the back end. There is a 3rd party module doing the job but it would be nice to include it in the core feature.

Frontend menu editing:

Again, it would be nice to add/edit menu items using frontend.

Change module positions dynamically:

Drag the modules to the desired position using frontend. Change the order of the modules using frontend.

Improved category blog:

As you know, Joomla 2.5 produces urls with some numbers. If your alias is, how to choose a web designer, Joomla URL will be something like ; #-how-to-choose-a-web-designer. (it always includes numbers unless you create a menu item for each blog item)

Ability to choose the admin directory:

I know there are some 3rd party extensions out there but It would be nice to have an option to choose a random admin directory rather than default administrator directory every time you install Joomla!. Maybe when you first install the Joomla!, having an option to what the admin directory will be named?

Ability to choose what to install:

Joomla! comes with default plugins and modules and components. I personally never use smart search and web links. Maybe having an option to what to install at the beginning would also be nice? (excluding the important extension which Joomla cant run without)

Joomla! editor:

Joomla comes with whsyg editor which sometimes is really frustrating for user especially for first time starters. There are some good editors out there but they still may crash when the article is edited many times. Adding an image to an article may sometimes crash the article positioning. This would be nice if it was improved a bit more.

I am not sure how hard to include some of these features however, I believe these features will make Joomla! 3.5 more preferable and user friendly.

I hope you include some of these features in the next release.

P.S Please include if any feature you think will improve Joomla 3.5.Thank you.

matt777
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: What We want from Joomla! 3.5

Post by matt777 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm

The ability to insert modules into articles or hide module from articles without having to install an external component.
Eastern Odyssey | http://www.easternodyssey.com The Definitive Guide to Asia

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:07 pm

matt777 wrote:The ability to insert modules into articles or hide module from articles without having to install an external component.
This already exists.
http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_put_a ... article%3F

Frontend module editing:
The Custom html module could be replace by a Single Article Module instead.
The article can be edited in the front end.

matt777
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by matt777 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Sorry never new that, always used modules anywhere thought that was the only way to do it. Still would love to know if you could hide the code from users editing the article.
Eastern Odyssey | http://www.easternodyssey.com The Definitive Guide to Asia

un10cked
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by un10cked » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 am

Also just to note that I am happy to help Joomla implement some of those features mentioned above.

EvanGR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by EvanGR » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Content TAGs
Attach tags to articles and other content. Search by tags, list content by tags etc... This can't arrive soon enough!

Content versioning
Auto-keep backups of previous edits in articles and other contents. Auto-save content while editing in regular intervals.

Visual view/editor of content hierarchy
Instead of just lists showing categories and the contents in them (which is slow), utilize also a visual editor in the style of a file manager. Categories look like folders, content looks like files, drag and drop, tree view on the side etc...

Basic CCK functionality
Custom fields and properties for content.

Built-in 404 (+other) error management
Allow custom pages and redirects for errors.

Easy import/export of content and settings
Import/export articles (single or in batch mode), site settings etc...

Multi-site support
Including the ability to work on a 2ndary copy of the site for development, while only the primary copy is available to the visitors.

Thoughts...
My MAJOR problem with Joomla at the moment (all the way to v2.5.x) is that it has many core features missing (see above for some ideas). You can get a lot of features through extensions but these often use proprietory implementations and you get locked into a very specific ecosystem (not Joomla anymore).

It would be as if changing your text editor (TinyMCE, JCE etc) would force you to re-insert your content because each editor uses its own database tables. Thankfully this is not the case with the editor, but it IS the case with core features (tags, content types).

Extensions relating to CMS functionality, should extend and use the core, not add other layers of incompatibility on top.
Last edited by EvanGR on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pontikos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pontikos » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:53 pm

there are some good ideas here...
let's add few more:
Multi-categories
Deeper ACL to all levels
Built-in Multilingual / translation capabilities without the need to duplicate items, so we will never be in front of issues on how to handle multilingual sites again, when to update.
Full Front-end editing, site building capabilities, with drag n' drop features for end users (something like a site builder)

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:46 am

+1 on Content Versions and Built-in 404.

fofoman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fofoman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 am

-> Media manager:

-1 For example when upload picture we need to set default value for name an description an ALT tag and when use the picture again in other article we don’t need to add the value one more time
Filed in data base for those value.

fancybox to view pic and move file an rename file.

-2 Drag & Drop uploaer

Google:
In global configuration
We need attribute and option for basic google feature such webmaster tools to verify website and google analytics

Menu:
Drag & Drop menu to order menu and parent the menu by drag and drop as other CMS [Wordperss] menu

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

To answer your points

1) But what if I want to use the same picture in more than one place with different descriptions and ALT tags (i regularly do this)

2) This is partialy browser dependant but is already available with JCE and its media manager

3) This is already available with numerous extensions and is not relevant to all sites eg ntranets

4) Joomla 3 already has drag and drop menu ordering
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

jmebartlett
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jmebartlett » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Media Manager: What about filling the ALT tag dialog box with the image file name by default, but can be changed by typing over it?

Renaming and Moving images-good idea

Tagging in preference to multi-category articles. Eg being able to create new tags on the fly, within the create article function.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 pm

jmebartlett wrote:Media Manager: What about filling the ALT tag dialog box with the image file name by default, but can be changed by typing over it?

Renaming and Moving images-good idea
Both already available with JCE

fofoman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fofoman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 pm

[quote="brian"]To answer your points

1) But what if I want to use the same picture in more than one place with different descriptions and ALT tags (i regularly do this)

i mean after complete the upload we need default value placed with picture and we use it in other article should be abile to change it to other value.

ok, if jce better than tinyMCE i think we should replace tinyMce to Jce with all feature and file uploader.

i will try drag and drop menu . i think article must have the ability to drag and drop order

thank's

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:02 pm

fofoman wrote: i think article must have the ability to drag and drop order
Again already present in Joomla 3

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 pm

The Featured Articles Layout should be replaced by a Featured Objects Layout that can show items not only articles , but from all components. I often need to have an event on the front page. I now have to copy the event's text into an featured article.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Speaking of featured articles, there should be a option to display featured articles as a list instead of blog view.

fofoman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fofoman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 am

cropping & thumbnail huge feature that realy need to be in joomla [personaly i need this features]
cropping pictures system in uploaser or when we use image in article & thumbnail system for intro image and full image for article -->
not 2 image one small for intero and large image for full article just option to generate thumbs automaticly from orginal image [one image to manipulate with].

I know there is plugin to this but we need something built in Joomla

40two
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 40two » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

+1 error (404) handling

Draft functionality ("mark this article as a draft") - authors / editors should be able to take their time on an article. They do not need to write it down at one time - they can just mark it as a draft. Draft articles will either not show up for publishing or publishers at least know that they are "work in progress".

Front End Apply Button and/or Auto Save Mechanism - prevent users from losing all their work due to session time outs or accidentially leaving the page

Possibility to have publishers with different responsibilities - for example, assign categories to publishers.
http://violetfortytwo.blog spot.com [delete the space]
- programming / computer problems I couldn't find a solution to on search engines, or stuff I just need very often

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 pm

+1 on Front End Apply Button! I've been wanting this feature for years. 8)

pontikos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pontikos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:44 pm

I was working on a website with many different components and I noticed that each component has its own interface in the backend... in some cases so different that you someone may feel that this is another website.

So I thought.. what if joomla would create a standard backend UI with panels, set of tools, icons and other elements that would create a unified, stable and well organized back-end interface, that all third-party extensions will have to follow ?

Something like all the apps for Mac OS X, that uses similar UI.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Pontikos that exists right now with Joomla 3 but developers cant be forced to use it no matter how much we try to

un10cked
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by un10cked » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 pm

It has been eight months since I posted this.

I would like to add more if you guys don't mind :) Let's get started.

1- Keywords:

We do not need keywords meta tag any more. So please remove it. None of the modern search engine uses it. (I don't know if any other search engine still uses keyword tags)

2- Personalise the control panel

I always thought it would be really good to add your own short cuts and buttons and change the menu items under backend.

3- 2 step authentication: Google Authenticator, SMS or hardware authentication

I know there is an extension (admintools pro) and I am using it. I love it...(Also I have heard great things about YubiKey.)

But it does not support the frontend login. So in other words, if someone knows the super admin passwords, they can edit your website unless you forbid the frontend login using the super admin account.

4- Reactive Design

Images: Will they get smaller on a small screen? (Not html resize but small in size and the dimension) or ability to exclude images if people are seeing your site via mobile device? Ability to provide different formats for each device: Retina ready display formats as well as for normal lcd displays, mobile displays etc.

Site Design: Ability to let your visitors decide what modules they want to see and their position. What kind of colours they want? Personalised experience under their user accounts or without their accounts using cookies. (Every user of your website will have a personalised setting to receive/see a particular content) Maybe font increaser for people who have disabilities. Asking their feedback on annoying commercial advertisements on your website for example. Joomla automates the process and knows the users when they visit your site?

Responsive Design:

Tables: When you create a html table within Joomla! website article, will they also be responsive?

Mobiles: Will they see all your website and keep on scrolling to be able to reach the bottom? or will you be able to SELECT the important content for mobile users? (Featured content for mobiles and tablets only?)

5-Ghost Joomla

I think this would be the most important security feature for Joomla! 3.5.

You know it is Joomla! website when:

you see com_ and mod_ everywhere inside the source code.

Maybe ability to customise those without manually going through particular component or a module or a plugin?

I think this will dramatically make the Joomla! sites more secure because people will not be able to search for particular plugins or components or modules on the internet and find out that they are vulnerable.

That's it for now.

I love Joomla! and can't wait to use the version 3.5 :)

FlashRebel

Post by FlashRebel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm

... The most important think for Joomla - please if you add some new function, with this step take out some old who nobody use. If you have nice appartment and you will just full it with new staff, you are full, no place for living :)
Ussualy if I buy something new, I take out old one.
Try to keep Joomla more light and faster, now is really heavy with unnecesarry extension. For components, modules and plugins we have third party developers, dont put to many core functions which just slow Joomla and almost noobdy use it.
Core Banners, Newsfeeds, Weblinks, Messaging associated tons of modules and plugins ... Who seriously use it for good website ?

All the time when new Joomla come, some new function there and all old garbage stay there also.
Developers of Joomla check Joomla website - 90% of them on internet are totaly slowly, you wait after every click, in this time this is critical.

I think Joomla can be perfect with half of functions + third party extensions.

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

@FlashRebel: While I am always in support for maximum features, I agree with you that thinks like banners and such could go towards 3rd party extension developers. The ACL was a great addition considering that it makes controlling the site overall easier. But little things that can be done with extensions with more power to the non built in ones could replace the core ones.

pontikos
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pontikos » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

few more :
a. Core Multi-Sites support.
b. Contacts-Users integration.
c. Filters by parent items when in menu manager, category manager and other similar lists where there are parent and child items, so we can filter and see only child items of the selected parent.

40two
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 40two » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

On the apply button:

just found these posts: http://forum.codejoomla.com/open-source ... -3212.html

This works on my page, even for new articles. But as this requires changes in core files, I will have to redo it every time an update is being rolled out... Could you PLEASE include it with the next Joomla version??

Thank you :-)
http://violetfortytwo.blog spot.com [delete the space]
- programming / computer problems I couldn't find a solution to on search engines, or stuff I just need very often

fundooshop34
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fundooshop34 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:14 am

The new features would really turn around the UI. Also the help forum is very good. Way to go Joomla

Nachteule
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Nachteule » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:38 am

I would love to see a built-in core option for image resizing and thumbnail creation.

Not only to make large images smaller in dimensions but also to adjust file size.

The major competitors have all done their homework in this matter. With Joomla, thumbnail creation is possible only with the help of extensions (good ones require memberships).

For admins I think it is not the first priority. We know how to handle images for articles.

But I think for authors and editors it would be a huge improvement to have an appropriate built-in function. They tend to upload images directly from their smartphones/digital cameras. File size? They don't care.

If I ask them to prepare the images, they reply: I don't know how plus I don't have any program installed to resize images and optimize their file size for the web.

rcdahal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rcdahal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm

We need custom designed options for individual assigned article,that means different layout for different assigned articles or category as the features like K2 multiple templates options in CORE JooMla

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm

At the very least some way for layout designs for individual categories. This would make the frontend articles quite flexible.

Return to “Joomla! Ideas Forum”