Downgrade to 3 to 2.5 ?

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
oliwebpress
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Downgrade to 3 to 2.5 ?

Post by oliwebpress » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 pm

I am looking for a procedure to downgrade to Joomla 3 to 2.5 ?

I am new bee with Joomla even if I like the interface but I have problem with embed and editor.

I installed JCK but I got some bug with it.

Stay in stable version as 2.5 will be better. I think.

Regards

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Downgrade to 3 to 2.5 ?

Post by sitesrus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:27 pm

You should not have upgraded to 3.0 unless you are experienced...it is recommended to wait until 3.5.

3.0 makes changes to MySQL dropping and altering tables, what you want is a full database and file restore. Always perform backups before doing anything, even sneezing lol! Seriously, always backup, than just restore with ease instead of being stuck in situations like this.

If you have the expertise locate the SQL in joomla 3.0 upgrade install folder that relates to altering joomla tables in 2.5, than just put everything back. Reverse all the drops and alters it does. You can also pull up the installation of 2.5 sql file in the install folder (joomla.sql) and see how these columns that were dropped are setup, or use the CREATE syntax there for tables that were dropped.

Don't just drop and re-create tables, they could contain information you need.

Before you do this, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP so if you mess up you can restore. I helped someone do this recently...it isn't ideal though to be honest and was a last resort.

I can do it for you to, but you have to trust me and give me access, which a lot of people would say is an extremely bad idea. [Mod Note: Removed self promotion]
Last edited by ooffick on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed self promotion
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

jdbdrwho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jdbdrwho » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Nice to see that someone posted a possible method for you to downgrade.

If you do decide to say with Joomla 3.0 you may want to look at using the tinyMCE editor which works just fine for me. You can even setup your own css file for the editor and turn on the enhanced editing mode which enable more features for the tinyMCE editor.

Really not sure why Joomla doesn't have the enhanced method turned on by default.

Joomla 3.0 may not be for the production website. However I am using 3.0 on one of my sites as I support Joomla and WordPress for a living and need to know the current flavors of Joomla.
============
John Boone
http://www.boonewebmaster.com - Web Design

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Agreed, and at this point you might be better of with just sticking with 3.0....now this could be bad if your extensions don't support it buuuut like I said,

1)Backup backup backup
2)Investigate before making drastic changes like this
3)Ask questions about upgrading in the forum first

Also use forum post assistant, it helps people help you. Also before upgrading you could have used it and posed the question about upgrading and we could have looked at your extension list and advised as well.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

kryps
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kryps » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am

In some cases, TinyMCE may not be enough and you'll want something better such as JCK Editor. Download the JCK Suite for J! 3.0 only.

jdbdrwho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jdbdrwho » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 am

I guess it is a matter of opinion as I have tried the JCK Suite and I found a few features that just annoyed me. The TinyMCE works perfect for me. When I need to, I simply use HTML mode to customize my posting.

Currently I have no need for the JCK. However you're welcome to stick with that editor as it really is just a matter of preference.
============
John Boone
http://www.boonewebmaster.com - Web Design

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:06 am

Only ever needed tinymce, you can even use advanced mode for more functionality. Since i'm a developer I just use html to edit/customize and do more advanced things.

just like jdbdrwho said.

Adding more unnecessary 3rd party extensions causes issues when trying to upgrade...adding an extension just cause you can is pointless, if you really need it for day to day and to make your site better or help you work than go for it.

kryps
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kryps » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 am

I'm a fan of TinyMCE, however I needed something that allowed for uploading and linking files and not just images. JCK editor has this capability by using "Link" option. Also, I like the "Paste as Plain Text" option, and I use the "Templates" option; I even added some of my own templates that prefills the editor with a starting set of html code and snippets of code.

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 am

Well than do you want me to post a step by step instruction guide for downgrading? Because it sounds like you don't have a backup, thrashed your DB, and want to go back to 2.5?

Basically we just re-up all the 2.5 files, make sure you're using 2.5 extensions that are either 2.5 AND 3.0 compatible or revert back to using the 2.5 versions, than make all the necessary mysql tweaks. I did it for someone else, like I said I could do it for you or you can have a go. This isn't an ideal solution though, it's a last resort!

It's just a matter of me downloading the necessary joomla installs/upgrades and digging through the mysql again to re-learn what I did lol. I just need to find all the changes 3.0 makes, than reverse engineer it and restore your database to it's 2.5 state.

Ideally you don't want to lose your mysql right? you've made changes, updates, etc. and you'd lose a lot of work i assume.

Keep me posted!

BUT i recommend just staying at 3.0, it's not worth it...

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”