Can't select menu item type in admin

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
wdzinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't select menu item type in admin

Post by wdzinc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 using Jupgrade. My 2.5 site was working perfectly until I moved it from the Jupgrade folder to a root directory. I had two problems once I moved.

The first was the Global Configuration page went all wonky and it would load all of the tabs on one page. I did some searching and it suggested to re-upload the full 2.5 package to the server to correct permission errors. I did this, and it fixed the Global config but not the menu item problem.

When you go to add a new menu item, or edit an existing it simply won't let you select a menu item type. When you push the select button nothing happens. No pop up window. It almost seems like it might be something java related but I can't quite put my finger on what's going on. I've tried using Firefox and Chrome and continue to have the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

wdzinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can't select menu item type in admin

Post by wdzinc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Update: It's basically affecting not only the menu item type, but any item that would be a pop up window. If you link image instead of popping up in a new window it loads in your currently open window and is useless.

Freediver
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Freediver » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I think I have a similar problem. When I want to change the menu type, the system won't budge. When I want to try to select an article, or user, I can get a window where I can select the articles, however clicking on an user or article won't have any effect.

Then, I changed to debug mode, to try to find the culprit. Suddenly, I was able to change the menu type and I was able to select the users and articles. After going back to normal mode.. I was again unable to do the above things.

So then, I decided to change from Chrome to using Firefox. Surprise... Firefox doesn't give any problems.

Might it be an issue between Joomla and Chrome?

Best regards,

Freediver

wdzinc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wdzinc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Freediver,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all the easy stuff; switching browsers, clearing caches. I read others posts that suggested changing the front end template could help but nothing I did worked.

What I ended up having to do was take the original migration site and rename the directory. I created a new directory with the original name and uploaded and installed a clean version of 2.5. I used a different table prefix with the installation though. After install I went in and installed each Component, module, plugin, and template that my migration site had. I didn't bother to configure them, I just needed the files to be there. Once this was complete I changed the table pre-fix of the new install to that of the old migration install.

There was probably a better way of doing it but it worked and only took me about an hour. Hope this helps!

vtgav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vtgav » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 pm

I have the same problem with chrome. Am pretty sure it is chrome related because IE9 works fine. At least I've now found a use for IE9 :laugh:

I guess its some sort of js library conflict ?!?!?

Gav

dingbusan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dingbusan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 pm

I got the exactly same problem, at first I think there's something going wrong with Akeeba backup, in Google Chrome, the backend layout getting mass and there's no select popup when create new menu item, but when I try to use Firefox, everything is fine, so it's must be a browser cache problem, now I clear the cache of Chrome and everything work like a charming

B1ackbeard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B1ackbeard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks dingbusan, I couldn't get the pop up windows in Chrome or Firefox to work with my updated Joomla 2.5, but tried IE8 & it was fine.
Cleared the cache & everything works - great.

dingbusan
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dingbusan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Glad to know my experience helps

Sandcrab
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sandcrab » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Yes, That was the solution for me too. I stubmled upon the solution. It wouldn't work at home (Chrome), but it worked at the office (IE). Too bad. I relly like Chrome better as a browser, but oh well, at least I can finish setting up the page using IE.

B1ackbeard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by B1ackbeard » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 am

Sandcrab, just clear the cache in Chrome - It'll work fine afterwards.

jhnrse
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jhnrse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:40 am

Amazing that this issue is still going around in Joomla 3.0. I cleared the cache and it started working. Thanks so much, it was driving me crazy!

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”