User Restricted Area

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 3.x site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
kevin777
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User Restricted Area

Post by kevin777 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi, I'm sorry that this question has probaly appeared many times but,

I'd like to add a page that is restricted to users, but in this way:

The page can be accessed by a menu item that is visible to all users and the page can be viewed by those who are logged in, and for those that aren't it shows a login form that once [properly] filled it will show the page.

Is it possible? If so how can I do this?

Thanks a lot

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: User Restricted Area

Post by sitesrus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Yes.

If you are linking to an article...which you should just restrict the user access group. The menu item can be visible and accessible by all, but once they hit the restricted article they will be prompted to login or restricted access.

You can also make a "guest group" so for all guests you can display a login module on the page and make it dissapear if someone is logged in or logs in using it to achieve the effect if joomla doesn't already work that way.

Many things are possible with joomla.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

kevin777
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kevin777 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Ok,i have these settings, which means:

Article restriced to the ''registered'' group
Menu item set to ''public''

With this configuration, though the menu item is visible, the article is not visible (in the case one is not logged in) but there is no login module or message, the page appears blank (template is conserved, but there is no article header, text, ecc.)

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 pm

If you don't get messages than system messages are off or not supported on your 3rd party template.

You shouldn't see the article than if you're not logged in, that's correct behavior.

I suggest creating a guest user group and adding the login module to the page/menu link in question. By using this new guest group for the module, only guests will see it. This will give you your desired results.

I already suggested this solution.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 3.x”