Allow multiple user login/logout?

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Allow multiple user login/logout?

Post by cc-vortex » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 am

Is there anyway in Joomla 2.5 to allow multiple users simultaneous use of the same account?

I want to use login's as access to specific pages for each client, and each client has 500 users and I have found that multiple users can login simultaneously but if anyone of them logs out it seems that everyone using that username gets logged out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Allow multiple user login/logout?

Post by Gany » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:00 am

That seems fairly logical to me: you can have as many users as your server can handle, but they all will need a separate login name. If [email protected] logs out, he is logged out. No matter if one or fifty people use that login name. Make sure everybody has their own user id.

Passwords are less important here: [email protected] can have the same password as [email protected] or [email protected]. Of course passwords are important, but everyone can use the same password. Not a good idea, but it does work.

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 am

Separate login names are not possible in this instance. We are emailing a link to all the participants of our webinars, sometimes there are 500+ people... we can't pre-create all these logins.

Hard to believe that as long as Joomla has been around that this cannot be done.

I know that switching server session from database to none works, but I have no idea what the drawbacks of this will be down the road.

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:25 am

Anyone else have ideas on how to accomplish this?

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 am

No one?

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 am

No one, because that invalidates all security measures build in Joomla. But you can work around it:

You can send all those members a default login, which can be set to forced mofidification. Upon the first login, the new member must change his login himself. That is fairly standard, and if Joomla cannot do that by default (I don't know, I ain't a Joomla-God ;) ) it can be done with a extension.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 am

cc-vortex wrote:Is there anyway in Joomla 2.5 to allow multiple users simultaneous use of the same account?

I want to use login's as access to specific pages for each client, and each client has 500 users and I have found that multiple users can login simultaneously but if anyone of them logs out it seems that everyone using that username gets logged out.

Thanks!
Hi CC-Vortex,

You mention "I want to use login's as access to specific pages for each client".

Is there a reason you don't create user accounts with specific access levels. Each user having their own user id and being in their own user group? Then each user group can login and view only specific menus, assuming access levels and groups are set up properly.
Am I understanding? :)
Tessa Mero
JED Team Assistant Manager
Production Leadership Team Member

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 am

The problem is we don't know the names of all of the people that use our webinars... so we have to have a generic login that has access to one page that contains info, pics and downloads of the webinar contents. So if we're putting a webinar on for, say, Walmart, we create a login named Walmart, a generic password, and those 400 to 500 or so webinar participants can log in and download the materials, or get additional info, etc.

I used to use a plugin that password protected a sinlge page in Joomla 1.5, but we want more control over visible content by login, like menu items.

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am

Hi CC-Vortex,

Do these 400-500 people need to log in to specific certain pages, or is this site just for these users?

If so, you could set a password to access the site, and they all can view and download as a "public" user, without worrying about session expiration. (I haven't tried this but it makes sense in my head). :-)
Tessa Mero

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Tessa, the website is a standard business site, but we have portions of the site available to some clients and not to others, so we need a way to allow them access to their own section of our site. As in the example, Walmart participants need to be able to see a menu item named Walmart which brings them to a page of their stuff. Participants from Nike need the same, but shouldn't see Walmarts menu... it's basic ACL stuff, but the problem is using the standard Joomla login/out mods if 280 ppl log in, and user number 87 logs out, they are all logged out.

We can't assign unique logins to each person because we don;t really know who they are other than the fact that they are connecting through their employer (Walmart, Nike, etc.)

Make sense?

Tessa Mero
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Tessa Mero » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

cc-vortex wrote:Hi Tessa, the website is a standard business site, but we have portions of the site available to some clients and not to others, so we need a way to allow them access to their own section of our site. As in the example, Walmart participants need to be able to see a menu item named Walmart which brings them to a page of their stuff. Participants from Nike need the same, but shouldn't see Walmarts menu... it's basic ACL stuff, but the problem is using the standard Joomla login/out mods if 280 ppl log in, and user number 87 logs out, they are all logged out.

We can't assign unique logins to each person because we don;t really know who they are other than the fact that they are connecting through their employer (Walmart, Nike, etc.)

Make sense?
I completely understand what you are trying to do now.

What if you set all these pages the public needs to access to public, but set passwords to these changes, so that way these sessions don't log everyone out?

I think the last resort would be removing the code that logs all users out when one logs in. :)
Tessa Mero

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:15 am

Can't have the pages/links public because we have clients that wouldn't like us helping their competition.

What code can I remove/comment out that would fix this?

Ankit Mathur
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ankit Mathur » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 am

cc-vortex wrote:Is there anyway in Joomla 2.5 to allow multiple users simultaneous use of the same account?

Thanks!
You can override the login module. In the new one, just check if the username (modlgn-username) is equal to your common user, then disable logout option for the user or don't show logout button to the particular user.
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs
Joomla Shopping Cart: http://www.readybytes.net/paycart.html

cc-vortex
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cc-vortex » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 am

Ankit Mathur wrote: You can override the login module. In the new one, just check if the username (modlgn-username) is equal to your common user, then disable logout option for the user or don't show logout button to the particular user.

Even if I remove the logout button won't the server session log them out after they close the browser window?

Ankit Mathur
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ankit Mathur » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Lol, your server is the supremo of your sites. Its configuration will always affect your sites.
If you want that the session timeout should last for a long time then go to joomla backend's global configuration and set the session lifetime to some large value like 8888
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs
Joomla Shopping Cart: http://www.readybytes.net/paycart.html

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”