Upgrade 1.5.26 to 2.5

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
KQ6ZZ
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Upgrade 1.5.26 to 2.5

Post by KQ6ZZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello to all!
I have a nice web site that is on Joomla 1.5.26 & I want/need to upgrade to Joomla 2.5, but I don't know don't how.

Here's the deal.
A friend of mine did my site for me, showed me a few things to get me going, then abandoned me & left me to figure it out on my own & I have been struggling ever since. I have learned a few things (little things) in the last year or so to keep my site looking just o.k. but now I know its time to do the upgrade to 2.5 & get up to date. I have a fear that if I download Joomla 2.5 & load it up to my host, I will kill my site completely & not be able to get it back again. Is it just a simple download, unpack, then upload it to my site & 2.5 will automatically overwrite the 1.5.26 version & everything will be just fine? Will my site have the same modules, plugins, templates, etc.etc? OR..... are there other steps that I need to take to accomplish this? Is there anyone in this forum that I can get some detailed step by step instructions from that will help my with my problem? I really don't want to destroy my web site. If anyone would like to take a look at my site, you can see it here: http://www.boxspringsonline.com/

Thanks for any help!

mjparadac
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Upgrade 1.5.26 to 2.5

Post by mjparadac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi KQ6ZZ
Before upgrading recommend making a backup of your site. And see if your extensions are compatible with 2.5.
This documentation is about 1.5 to 2.5 upgrade http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_J ... Joomla_2.5

Regards
Joomla Community Ambassador for A2 Hosting | A2 Hosting - Our speed, your success | https://www.a2hosting.com/joomla-hosting

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Mod. note: Relocated topic to the Migrating to J2.5 forum.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:57 pm

See http://docs.joomla.org/Migrationfor detailed instructions. My advice would be to place a service request.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

KQ6ZZ
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KQ6ZZ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 pm

sovainfo, what exactly is a service request? Remember, I am really new at this, so that is probably a stupid question.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:24 pm

If you want to hire someone, post in the professional services forum.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 pm

A service request is a call for someone to do this for you. If you feel confident enough, go ahead and try it yourself. For technical difficulties there is allways this board.

Do you see yourself setting up your PC for Joomla, downloading your site, migrating it to J2.5.8 and uploading it?

Good luck.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

KQ6ZZ
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KQ6ZZ » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 am

I went to the link that you provided, and saw a ph. # of 1-855-566-6652 and called it in hopes of getting some info, but the phone just rang about 25 times and no one picked up. Any idea what this migration service would cost a newbie? And, who do I trust?

centralweb
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by centralweb » Fri May 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi, glad to help.

First of all let me say that I understand very well what you want to do, it is a breakthrough in safety, code and other details on updating your website to this new version of joomla.

Now at the moment I would like to let you know that the version 1.5 and 2.5 are incompatible is a totally different code developed from scratch by the team of joomla and website design, so legally there is no way to update it, but there are tricks , plugins and components for this kind of update but let me tell you that you only change the external view, but the code inside is still joomla 1.5 and is very vulnerable to security level, so if you do it that way you will have a great risk my friend.

I tell you sincerely because I work in web design (diseño de paginas web) and work with it every day, my website is http://www.cwsworldwide.com

Now what I would recommend you do is back up your backup akeeba website to have a sure thing when you lose the information, then delete the entire server and start creating the site from scratch in this new version of joomla point to point in the active site of the new plugins to read info from 1.5 to upload the same template and modules and allows you yet you MUST upload your content to be an update and development from scratch really reliable.

If you need more help or advice write me on my website.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”