UZBEK language

A place to discuss Joomla! translation matters.

Moderator: wendhausen

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

UZBEK language

Post by uzbaby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:15 am

Hi everyone. I'm philologyst and lawyer. I want to help to translate joomla to UZBEK for FREE. BUt i'm not strong on html. So how can I help you to translete and localizate JOOMLA?
I need it very much. Help me to solve this problem and a lots of peaple will be able to use joomla in UZBEK
Thank you
Last edited by imanickam on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Language - Joomla! 2.5 to the forum Translation

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: UZBEK language

Post by imanickam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks for volunteering to translate Joomla! to Uzbek language. In fact, all the people involved in creating the accredited language packs for Joomla! are all volunteers just like you and me.

The language code to use would be uz and the country code would be UZ. In essence, the full language reference would be uz-UZ, just like en-GB for English - Great Briton.

The translation could be done in the following order:

(a) Installation
(b) Admin & Site as a package

(a) For the Installation, you could download the latest version of Joomla! 2.5 (which is 2.5.7) and use the files located in the directory \installation\language\en-GB as the reference.

In fact, you could copy the files en-GB.ini and en-GB.xml as uz-UZ.ini and uz-UZ.xml and start the translation.

You could release this first.

(b) Admin & Site Package

Right now there is not accredited Uzbek language pack (both Admin and Site) for Joomla! However, I noticed a language pack for Joomla! 1.5.20 at http://sourceforge.net/projects/joomla1 ... p/download.

Suggest translating Joomla! 2.5.x to start with. You could use the language pack 1.5.20 as a starting point.

Suggest reviewing the discussion http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 9#p2614929 that provides a tool to convert the 1.5 language packs to 1.7 language packs. This could translate around 60% of the strings. Hopefully this should help you out in your effort.

Another useful discussion would be http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=617&t=583461.

Note:
Please use the text editor such as NotePad++ and use UTF-8 without BOM as the Encoding.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by uzbaby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you very much for reply.
I start with a (installation) download joomla 2.5 and didn't find files en_GB.ini and en.GB.xml?

There are only files with kunena word.
here is the screenshot

What am I doing wrong? please can you help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 am

When you unzip the Stable Full Package, you would see the directory and the files mentioned. After you install Joomla!, since you would have deleted the directory named \installation, you would not find that.

So, try unzip the Stable Full Package and you would see the directory \installation
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by uzbaby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am

Ok that was my mistake...I did as you said and find 3 filse
en-GB.ini
en-GB.xml
index.xml

now what should I do?
please don't think that i didnt read links that you give but I really don't understand what to do now.
Please can you help again?

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by uzbaby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 am

I find package Turkish 2.5
there are a lote of links ended ini. So should I make changes there and save file like Uz-uz?
Right? What kind of editor should I use to make translation?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:44 am

Suggest the following:

(a) Create a new directory named uz-UZ under the directory \installation
(b) Copy the files in the directory \installation\en-GB to the directory \installation\uz-UZ
(c) Rename the files en-GB.* to uz-UZ.*
(d) First edit the file uz-UZ.xml
(e) Second edit the file uz-UZ.ini

If needed, download the text editor such as NotePad++ and install it. After you open the files for edit, set the Encoding to UTF-8 without BOM

Start the translation. You have to translate the text after the = sign that is enclosed between Double Quotes ("). For example, in the following line of language string

Code: Select all

INSTL_STEPS_TITLE="Steps"
, you have to translate the value Steps (that is enclosed between double quotes - i.e., "Steps")

As you progress, make sure to take a copy of the files. You could try to install Joomla! and choose uz-UZ to see how things are after your translation.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

FYI, I have been contacted by someone working on a uzb-UZ cyrillic version of Uzbek language.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by uzbaby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 am

imanickam thank you very much. I understand everything. And start making translation.

infograf768 i'm going to do it on LATIN varsion of uzbek language. Maybe it will be helpful to that person also

Thank you very much. As soon as I make everything I will write here.

uzbaby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by uzbaby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:39 am

Hello!
Can you explain me what is the difference between language pack 1.5 and 2.5?
thank you very much!

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

The major difference being that in Joomla! 2.5 the language text strings are enclosed within double quotes. Also, there are files for localization in Joomla! 2.5.

Joomla! 2.5 also has several file that help in speedy language files load.

If you can be specific about what you want to do with the information, it would help in providing more/apt information.

[EDIT] Also, due to the fact that the language text strings are enclosed within double quotes, how a double quote (") is coded when it appears within the language string.
; Double quotes in the values have to be formatted as "_QQ_"

KWord2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KWord2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:18 pm

@uzbaby,
Any progress with translation? I'm not a philologist, but I can help for technical side. I'm also interested and can help. Let's join together and make this work done.

@infograf768,
Person who contacted you and was working on uzb-UZ cyrillic version of Uzbek language, was he working for Joomla v2.5?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 pm

No News from him.

KWord2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KWord2 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 pm

@infograf768,

Is there a handy platform (like GitHub) or a any other free solutions for translating and creating a new language pack with a team, so that it will be possible to share and monitor the task?

In addition, there are some other languages which are already integrated to Joomla 2.5, like Turkish, Azeri and others. The grammar structure and many words are almost same as Uzbek language and they can be used as a guide.

Given the fact, it would be great to use a platform which can show a particular piece of English and Turkish as a source language at the same time and make the translator able to input a target piece right there.

Of course, GitHub is for another purpose and is more advanced which might not be suitable or comfortable for this job. I just wanted to give an example.

KWord2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KWord2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

As for Uzbek language there are two types of Uzbek alphabets currently used in a daily life:
1) Uzbek language based on Cyrillic alphabet.
2) Uzbek language based on Latin alphabet.

What is the best practice in this case? Is it possible to create like:
1) uzc-UZ (or uzcyr-UZ)
2) uzl-UZ (or uzlat-UZ)

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 am

My suggestion would be to work on Latin based on the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbek_language wrote:In 1940, Uzbek was switched to Cyrillic script under Joseph Stalin. Until 1992, Uzbek continued to be written using a Cyrillic alphabet almost everywhere, but now in Uzbekistan the Latin script has been officially re-introduced, although the use of Cyrillic is still widespread. The deadline in Uzbekistan for making this transition has been repeatedly changed. The latest deadline was 2005, but was shifted once again to provide a few more years.

Already education in many areas of Uzbekistan is in the Latin script, and in 2001 the Latin script began to be used for coins. Since 2004 some official websites have switched over to using the Latin script when writing in Uzbek.[24] Most street signs are also in the new Latin script. The main national TV channel of Uzbekistan, O‘zbekiston telekanali, has also switched to the Latin script when writing in Uzbek.
I may be wrong in my suggestion or assessment based on the lack of knowledge of Uzbek language.

KWord2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KWord2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 am

@imanickam,

First of all, thank you for taking into account these aspects too. It's really good to have people here who are ready to help not only from technical side, but also who are willing to guide with more tips which can help in a prospect.

I'm from Uzbekistan and I can confirm that everything you've quoted is correct. But at the same time I've to say, despite the fact, that Latin alphabet hasn't been introduced yet and been effective mostly at official level at the moment, majority of informational resource and materials, used in a daily life, are still in Cyrillic alphabet and it seems that this course will remain same at least for coming 4-5 years or even more.

In addition, we have variety of specialized transliterating software that can help to convert from Cyrillic based alphabet to a Latin one or vice versa in a matter of short time without a need to retype everything from the beginning. That means we can easily have another alphabet done as soon as we finish one.

So I still would like to know the best practice about language codes as I mentioned before.

I'd also be very gratefull if anyone can help to find a platform for shared translation and monitoring the proccess. It'd be even better and helpfull if the platform can show 2 languages as a reference. We're planning to use Turkish and Russian languages at the same time.

Thank you.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 am

I am not aware of any collaborating platform that would let you reference to 2 languages at the same time.
Therefore you have to choose if you want to reference from a Turkish (Latin) or Russian (Cyrillic) pack for the first round of translation.

Here is a collaborating platform that lets you handle/control quite correctly your translations. http://webtranslateit.com
To get a free access, you just have to ask the administrator, telling that you do an Open Source (and free) translation for Joomla!

KWord2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KWord2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm

@infograf768,

Thank you for that link. I'll definitely try it.

As an experienced member of translation community, what do you think about these language tags:
1) uzc-UZ (or uzcyr-UZ)
2) uzl-UZ (or uzlat-UZ)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:52 am

I would use uzb-UZ is for Cyrillic
uz-UZ is for Latin