2+ year old votes removal – consequences?

Here you can contact the editors of our Extensions site, as well as access infomation relating to this site.

Moderator: JED Team

Forum rules
Forum Rules
READ ME <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
mad4joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

2+ year old votes removal – consequences?

Post by mad4joomla » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

I initially had concerns about the 2+ years old vote removal which I personally call “the purge”.
I wrote about my concerns in a few forum posts but always used to be “careful” in criticizing.
I just didn’t want to badmouth before having results.

The purge remains until almost 3 months now. What are the consequences?

JED’s aim.

The JED team has started changing things which were highly necessary for some matters. E.g. the removal of silent votes.
As the JED is intended for people who want to find the appropriate extensions for their projects and users have the opportunity of voting for extensions the correct conclusion is that the best rated extension of a category shall be ranked at first place followed by the lower rated extensions.
Certainly it does not mean that the highest ranked extension meets the taste of all users but it gives a clear hint about the quality.

About ratings and numbers.
Two extensions! Both have an average rating of 4.83 . One has 400 votes the other has 10.
If I am looking for an extension I’d decide first testing the one with 400 votes.

And why?

Because of the law of large numbers!
Wikipedia wrote:The law of large numbers (LLN) is a theorem that describes the result of performing the same experiment a large number of times. According to the law, the average of the results obtained from a large number of trials should be close to the expected value, and will tend to become closer as more trials are performed.
If you reduce the number of votes the average differs more and more form the expected value!
The purge is counterproductive for the community of users who want just like to see the most valuable extensions ranked first.

Thereby it doesn’t matter if the votes are “outdated” or don’t reflect the current state.
Someone came to the conclusion that an extension is useful or not and commented his opinion about the quality of this extension by a rating and review.
Actually it is really unfair to this user to skip his opinion about the quality of an extension.
The greater the number of votes, the more the average rating reflects the real (expected) quality.

This is not fortunetelling it is pure math and stochastic.

Future prospects.

As there are more than 10k extensions on JED it became harder to achieve reviews as it already used to be. Even for established extensions it is almost impossible to get 5 votes per month. Ones can be happy if getting 2-3 reviews each month.

If the new “system” comes and the first and last 2% don’t count, plus all 2+ years old votes are skipped and the older votes won’t count the same as new votes JED will come to a certain point of being useless.

The point is when a big part of extensions fall under the 5 vote’s threshold or just a handful of votes are determining the quality of an extension.

MY conclusion:

If I am going through JED I see many developers who stopped caring about their extensions.
If I am talking to developers I just hear complaints that they have lost 50% of their votes.
Some of them up to 80%. I hear a voice of being not satisfied, very unhappy or de-motivated.
I see that the fraudulent actions are rising because whales got small fishes and some piranhas see their chance. Etc.

It was a promising approach but I must sadly say that IMHO the purge wasn’t a good idea.
I didn’t want to use the word “failure” - this would be also de-motivating to the JED members whose work I much appreciate and I think despite this decision they are doing a great job.
Last edited by mad4joomla on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Brain - No Problem!
http://www.mooj.org

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 2+ year old votes removal – consequences?

Post by Webdongle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 pm

mad4joomla wrote:...
The point is when a big part of extensions fall under the 5 vote’s threshold or just a handful of votes are determining the quality of an extension.
All the more reason for the Reviewers to have a check list that includes their experience level. That way the users who see the review will have a 'gauge' with which to measure the value of the review. The level of the Reviewer's experience could possibly be built in to the formula to add weight to the vote ?

Also is the extensions review as a percentage of the total JED votes not taken into account ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

beau18907
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by beau18907 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

I just viewed my module on the JED and it appears that I have NO stars. I have 9 reviews they were all 4's and 5's. All the reviews were very positive.
But when one glances at the lists this is now way down at the bottom of the list, when it used to be consistently near the top.
As a result it is regularly missed.
Perhaps consideration should be as to when the latest updates were applied.
I may changes last October. I am about to release another update which includes support for Joomla 3.0.

What should be purged or just moved to the bottom of the lists are the ones that haven't been active. Plus I regularly see old extensions that no longer have valid links.

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:56 am

you could report broken links with the "report this" button
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

mad4joomla
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by mad4joomla » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am

Hi guys, this is off topic.
You should discuss this in a new thread.
No Brain - No Problem!
http://www.mooj.org

Return to “extensions.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”