The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I've just upgraded from 2.5 - Joomla 3 on a test site using the one click install provided in the joomla admin.

All seemed to go well however I'm getting an error code on the page and neither the admin or front page are loading, all i get is a white screen:

Error: The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must to be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.

Source File: http://www.hopechurchnottingham.org/test/

I've searched on the net for this and found that the site needs to "Declare Character Encoding".

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution to this, and what they did to fix it?

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Further to last post I've tried installing a clean version of Joomla 3 and then replacing some files on the upgraded site. This has had no effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 am 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

i'm running FF and if you hit F12 you can see error info. It's mainly reporting that you have no CSS file associated with your file - i think.

This is similar to a problem i'm having creating and/or editing the categories in the Admin backend.

It also appears that there is nothing between your <head> and </head> indicators.

i don't know what to do. When i find out, i'll post. Have a great evening! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback Frazelle let me know if you find any answers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Did you clean install work alright? This is the install without the "extra" files you said you replaced on the upgraded site.

If you clean install works and then stops working once you "replacing some files on the upgraded site", wouldn't you think it's probably due to the files you replaced?

Just sayin'. Leo suggested that i just replace all of my servers' files with fresh ones - all execpt the install folder. i'm presently doing this. We'll see if this fixes the problem.

Have a great morning! :)