Change Favicon

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
embracivemusic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Change Favicon

Post by embracivemusic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi

I have started using Joomla 2.5, however I cant seem to change the favicon from the standard Joomla logo to my own even though in the template folder I replaced it with my favicon. I have even tried an extension to do this but it appears to only work for a split second before being overridden and changed back to the standard Joomla logo.

Any ideas in how to get by this ?

Thanks, Danny

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Change Favicon

Post by imanickam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 am

Review of the document http://docs.joomla.org/Changing_the_site_favicon could be of help.

Clear the Browser's cache. Close the Browser. Open the Browser and check.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

embracivemusic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embracivemusic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi

I've had a look at the info and tried using Ctrl+Shift & R to clear the sites cache and also opened the site on a machine that has never access my website so there will be no internet files, the issue is still there.

The info for me only works on older versions of Joomla as I used to use 1.5. Is there any other ways to change the favicon in Joomla 2.5 ?

Thanks, Danny

mathisbrogers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mathisbrogers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi, Danny,
I did all this, too, and it didn't work for me, either. Tried it on both my laptop and my desktop and even tried using Chrome (which I never use) instead of Firefox. Nothing.

So I went into my Template Manager - since the instructions say to look for a different location in the index.php file - and my template gives me the option to turn on or off a Logo on my template, so I turned it off. Then the favicon appeared. I turned the Logo back on and noticed it took a little while to load the page, and the icon it's still there, both on my laptop and desktop in Firefox and Chrome. So try changing your template - you might put the favicon in it first, too - then go change it back and let us know if that works.

Good luck.
Mathis...

embracivemusic wrote:Hi

I've had a look at the info and tried using Ctrl+Shift & R to clear the sites cache and also opened the site on a machine that has never access my website so there will be no internet files, the issue is still there.

The info for me only works on older versions of Joomla as I used to use 1.5. Is there any other ways to change the favicon in Joomla 2.5 ?

Thanks, Danny

embracivemusic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embracivemusic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Mathis

I have gone into the template settings, but there doesn’t appear to be any favicon settings. Even If I delete the favicon completely and load it so nothing should appear I still get the Joomla icon, I am also having a problem where I delete a header banner from the template and it doesn’t get rid of it. It is like the current Joomla has its own Cache seperated from the browser as even down to the php level it is directing to the templates root folder and looking for a favicon.ico file.

The template I am using is called Vertex by Shape5.

Thanks, Danny

mathisbrogers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mathisbrogers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi, Danny,
The place they're talking about would be in the index.php file, so you'd have to go into the template manager and look through it to find where it is. If you didn't find it, then it's probably not in there. I didn't get that far with mine.

Question, are you trying to get rid of the favicon on the admin side or are you refreshing the actual site? The admin side will always remain the Joomla icon. Took me a while to realize that, too, so I just wonder if you're looking at your site for the refreshes or the admin side.

Also, I looked at the Shape5 website and they *do* have a favicon, that looks like a yellow ball with blue wording around it, and when I looked at the demo for the Vertex template, it was on it, too. So that means that you *can* do this. Since it's a pay template, I wasn't able to grab it and test it on my end for you. But put your favicon in one of the built-in template folders for Joomla! and switch the active template to it and see if it shows up that way. If it does, then when you switch back to the Shape5 template, it should be there. Just for fun, put a copy of the favicon in your main root directory, also.

Good luck,
Mathis...
embracivemusic wrote:Hi Mathis

I have gone into the template settings, but there doesn’t appear to be any favicon settings. Even If I delete the favicon completely and load it so nothing should appear I still get the Joomla icon, I am also having a problem where I delete a header banner from the template and it doesn’t get rid of it. It is like the current Joomla has its own Cache seperated from the browser as even down to the php level it is directing to the templates root folder and looking for a favicon.ico file.

The template I am using is called Vertex by Shape5.

Thanks, Danny

embracivemusic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embracivemusic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi Mathis

I'm only trying to get rid of the Joomla Favicon from the main site not the admin side. I even copied the entire installation from FTP to desktop and scanned for favicon the only ones which are present are my favicon meant for the front end and the joomla one for the admin end.

The Vertex template should be free, I got it from there site a few days ago. I have the favicon also copied into the root, dosen't seem to work.

http://www.shape5.com/product_details/free_templates/

I tried setting to a Joomla built in template, while the template was loaded my favicon worked, but when put back to Vertex goes back to the Joomla favicon.

Thanks, Danny

mathisbrogers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mathisbrogers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 pm

I didn't register, that's why I couldn't download it. I did register and and downloaded it. I installed the template, then renamed the default favicon.ico to favicon-old.ico that was in the root of the shape5_vertex template folder, then I put my file in it, then I activated the template and it worked perfectly. I did notice that you posted your request for help there. Hopefully they can help you. Sorry I can't, since it worked for me.

Good luck.
Mathis...
embracivemusic wrote:Hi Mathis

I'm only trying to get rid of the Joomla Favicon from the main site not the admin side. I even copied the entire installation from FTP to desktop and scanned for favicon the only ones which are present are my favicon meant for the front end and the joomla one for the admin end.

The Vertex template should be free, I got it from there site a few days ago. I have the favicon also copied into the root, dosen't seem to work.

http://www.shape5.com/product_details/free_templates/

I tried setting to a Joomla built in template, while the template was loaded my favicon worked, but when put back to Vertex goes back to the Joomla favicon.

Thanks, Danny

embracivemusic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by embracivemusic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:11 am

Hi Mathis

Also with the Vertex template, have you noticed if you change the file s5_logo.png which is the left top banner "Vertex Framework An Extensive Blueprint for Accelerated Web Development" that if you change this or delete it, the site still shows this graphic, even if you go to a different machine that has not being on there so theres no cache to load and refesh it many times as well.

Thanks , Danny

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jratunh21 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm

/public_html/YourWebsiteFolderName/plugins/system/jat3/jat3/base-themes/default/images

replace the favicon.ico with your own in there, and you will see magic appear :pop

cutty
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cutty » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:29 am

I think you just remove it from your host (mine is Host Monster) admin panel in the public_html/your-site and replace it with what you want.

I do recall mine taking a long time to appear after making the changes. I did the Ctrl+R+shift, but it still took ages. In the end it was up on IE after a period of time and took twice as long with Mozilla.

Hope this helps.

jratunh21
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jratunh21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 pm

You remove it from there too. If you just remove it from the site folder name, it will continue to pop up like previous bloggers were stating. With Joomla 1.5, that was the case (you only had to remove it once). With Joomla 2.5, you have to remove it both places. You will see what I am talking about

RichieDude
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RichieDude » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey guys!!
I am a novice Joomla Dude!! I never leave messages on these forums, but I know how many times I have pulled my hair out until somebody helped me on these forums!!
So I will give one back!

If you delete all the favicon.ico 's and then replace it with your favicon.ico in the same places, it will work for the main visible website. But if you still want to get rid of the admin favicon then I think this is how: I think I found it! I had also tried loads of things deleting everything I could find and replacing it with my favicon. Then I check through all the files for favicon.ico . But nothing! And still when I refreshed and re-cached, it was still there!! So I took some time out and slowly went through the files to sort this problem out, once for all!! Yip,!!)) I think I solved it. The little 'bugger' is hiding in: root/administrator/templates/bluestork/images

it is called mini-icon.png

delete this or replace it with your own mini-icon.png (just make a 16x16 image .png)

That's it! I hope it works for you guys!))

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”