Thoughts on Woocommerce or Virtuemart

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
serendipity9
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Thoughts on Woocommerce or Virtuemart

Post by serendipity9 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Do any of you have experience of Virtuemart? How does it compare to say the Wordpress Woocommerce plugin from WooThemes?

A friend has a website

Code: Select all

http://www.serendipityantiques.co.uk
built with Woocommerce which look pretty good. Would Virtuemart be able to handle the same sort of thing? Or is there another (better) Joomla ecommerce extension?

Thanks!

chetanmadaan
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Thoughts on Woocommerce or Virtuemart

Post by chetanmadaan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Virtuemart is really a good one and i am sure it will be able to handle anything you need. It acts as a free component as it's THE MOST POPULAR SHOPPING cart for Joomla.

Only issue i see... it's not really free:

To use any kind of shipping module (UPS,USPS,Fedex) you have to pay.
and if you are not shipping items and selling downloadable products... you need to buy one too.

i know you didn't asked about the cost and everything... but it's just my thought as Virtuemart has been acting like it's free but it's really not

bottom line, Virtuemart is a great extension and is really flexible as far as layout and other things are concerned. I am not sure about WooCommerce.

Thanks
Chetan Madaan - JM-Experts
http://www.Jm-Experts.com

serendipity9
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by serendipity9 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks for the feedback Chetan.

verticalgrain
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by verticalgrain » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:16 pm

In my opinion I prefer Woocommerce. I found Virtuemart to be quite buggy and to have a ton of old code and just in general weird ways of doing things. That said, I havn't used Virtuemart in about a year, and it seems it's undergone a major upgrade.

Overall I'd say it's worth taking the time to set up a basic store with both systems and try them out for yourself. An e-commerce store can get complicated quickly and you want to be sure you chose the right platform for your needs.

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”