Errors updating Joomla 2.5.4 to 2.5.6

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Alcor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Errors updating Joomla 2.5.4 to 2.5.6

Post by Alcor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 am

Hello.

I've tried update a site with Joomla! 2.5.4 to 2.5.6 of various ways and all gave me errors. With the joomla update component, shows me errors like: Could not open ... / README.txt for writing, which I changed the permissions and the installation seemed to run until another error shows, so I left this way.

Finally I decided to unzip file with the patches and upload manually them via FTP. After, in the backend, in Extensions Manager-> Databases I corrected the errors that had, but at the end, another messages with errors show:

Failed deleting cmsloader.php
Failed deleting user.php
Failed deleting menu.php
Failed deleting helpsite.php
Failed deleting config.php
Failed deleting calendar.png
Failed deleting index.html
Failed deleting pdf.png

Now shown that Joomla is update but, Do I delete those files manually? Should I worry about the errors listed? Thanks and sorry my bad English.

[Mod Note: Bump post by you deleted. Please do not bump your messages. Read the Forum Rules for full details.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Errors updating Joomla 2.5.4 to 2.5.6

Post by humvee » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 am

1. BACKUP your site - if you have not already, (which you should have done before updating!).
  2. Download a copy of the Joomla Full Stable Package for 2.5.6
  3. Open this archive locally.
    • If on Windows do not use M$ own archive manager - download and install 7-Zip.
  4. Delete the installation/ directory from the opened archive.
  5. Using your FTP client upload the files to the host joomla_root/ directory (where Joomla files and directories are already located).
    • Again if you are on Windows do not use M$ own software - download and install either WinSCP or FileZilla.
    • Ensure the Default Transfer File Type is set either to Auto or Binary.
  6. Overwrite the files that are already there YOU MUST KEEP THE SAME FILE HIERARCHY
  7. Once you have access to the Admin Back-end of Joomla:
    1. OPEN the Extensions=>Extension Manager->Database tab.
    2. CLICK the Fix button.
If all has gone as intended then you should now have full access to your Joomla site and its functions both front and back end.
Please let us know.

megatuner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by megatuner » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 am

I have had the same problem as Alcor. I have done what is written from Humee and now it works fine with J! 2.5.6. :)
1000 Thanks.
Best Regards Megatuner

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 am

megatuner wrote:I have had the same problem as Alcor. I have done what is written from Humee and now it works fine with J! 2.5.6. :)
1000 Thanks.
Best Regards Megatuner
Glad to be of assistance :)

Alcor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alcor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:31 am

Hello.

I have done your recommedations, humvee.

In the Extensions manager -> Database I have:

Database table structure is up to date.
Other Information

Database schema version (in #__schemas): 2.5.6.
Update version (in #__extensions): 2.5.6.
Database driver: mysql.
66 database changes were checked successfully.
24 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.

It's OK, but if I click the fix button again, messages with the errors are showed:

Failed deleting user.php
Failed deleting menu.php
Failed deleting pdf.png

I understand that I should not click the Fix button if the database is updated.

euoceo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by euoceo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:40 am

I'm curious humvee, why the warning about not using M$ software to do this? Granted, I too long switched to 7zip and filezilla, but simply because they are much more functional and flexible.
Joomla! Web Hosting, Design, and Consulting.
-Bob

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Alcor wrote:Hello.

I have done your recommedations, humvee.

In the Extensions manager -> Database I have:

Database table structure is up to date.
Other Information

Database schema version (in #__schemas): 2.5.6.
Update version (in #__extensions): 2.5.6.
Database driver: mysql.
66 database changes were checked successfully.
24 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.

It's OK, but if I click the fix button again, messages with the errors are showed:

Failed deleting user.php
Failed deleting menu.php
Failed deleting pdf.png

I understand that I should not click the Fix button if the database is updated.
Probably because there was nothing to delete as the Fix had already been completed.
Do you have any issues with the calendar, User functionality, accessing the Help Pages from within the backend or any other points?

cristiejx
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cristiejx » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 am

humvee wrote:
  1. BACKUP your site - if you have not already, (which you should have done before updating!).
  5. Using your FTP client upload the files to the host joomla_root/ directory (where Joomla files and directories are already located).
    • Again if you are on Windows do not use M$ own software - download and install either WinSCP or FileZilla.
  6. Overwrite the files that are already there YOU MUST KEEP THE SAME FILE HIERARCHY
    2. CLICK the Fix button.
If all has gone as intended then you should now have full access to your Joomla site and its functions both front and back end.
Please let us know.

Humvee,

I've followed all of your instructions and I still can't access the backend. However, the page is working fine on the frontend...
The problem started when I attempted to update to 2.5.6 via Extension Manager. The page locked up and I had to close the browser. When I reopened it and went to my login page, I got an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error. I did everything you suggested above, yet I am still getting the error. What other options do I have?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 am

Please run the Forum Post Assistant to provide the information to help us try and resolve the issue.
Please follow the instructions in the post and the program pack closely.

Backup your site and database.
Download the full stable release of Joomla 2.5.6
Extract locally on your PC using 7-zip
Upload all the files and directories to overwrite the files already in your joomla_root/ directory (EXCEPT the installation directory). Make sure your FTP client is set to transfer type Binary.
YOU MUST KEEP THE SAME FILE HIERARCHY IN THE JOOMLA_ROOT/ DIRECTORY.

dewebmeester
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dewebmeester » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Strange to see the advice to download the full package... The patch should be enough and a better option in my opinion. Ran unto the same problem updating from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8 but downloading the patch, manually uploading after unzipping on computer and restoring the database (not so important after all) did it all.
Voor informatie zie:
dewebmeester.nl
Eigenaar van Samuel Services Wageningen

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 pm

dewebmeester wrote:Strange to see the advice to download the full package... The patch should be enough and a better option in my opinion. ...
The Title of this thread is 'Errors updating Joomla 2.5.4 to 2.5.6' ... therefore the full package is needed. Also as the update has already been attempted and failed then that could indicated a problem with the files. Therefore using the full package will make sure All the files are correct.

dewebmeester wrote:... and restoring the database (not so important after all) ...
The database is your site. If you loose it or it gets damaged then you have no site unless you have a backup.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

dewebmeester
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dewebmeester » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Yes, I understand of course the database is the backbone but I was referring to the restoration of the database which, when using a patch, should not be a big deal. But I am still doubting if it's wise to override all files with a full package. Isn't there any danger some files get overwritten which should not be overwritten? Ok, I leave it for now.
Voor informatie zie:
dewebmeester.nl
Eigenaar van Samuel Services Wageningen

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am

dewebmeester wrote:Yes, I understand of course the database is the backbone but I was referring to the restoration of the database which, when using a patch, should not be a big deal. ...
Some updates alter the structure of the database. So if the update failed before those changes are completed then the database is corrupt. If the changes did complete and you use the files from the previous version then you can have a mismatch between files and database. Therefore, unless it is known for certain there are no database changes, it is best to restore the original.

dewebmeester wrote:...But I am still doubting if it's wise to override all files with a full package. Isn't there any danger some files get overwritten which should not be overwritten? ...
The only files that get overwritten are the Joomla files. And if Joomla core files have been previously edited then they need to be restored to their correct state. Because the altered files may not work with other files that have been updated.

Hope that explains why procedures are done in a specific manor ?!
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

walldorff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by walldorff » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 pm

humvee wrote: BACKUP your site - if you have not already, (which you should have done before updating!).
Download a copy of the Joomla Full Stable Package for 2.5.6

Works for 2.5.8 -> 2.5.9 too.
Which proves that this is the correct procedure in case of update snafu's.

Thanks humvee :)

Roland

Vering
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vering » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 pm

humvee wrote:
    2. CLICK the Fix button.
Please let us know.
Thank you humvee. Updating from 2.5.4 to 2.5.9 went fine. Upon fixing the database, I got the same errors as alcor, but it seems to work.

One thing bothers me, though. In the "Control Panel" Joomla keeps telling me, that I should upgrade to version 2.5.5 (it also said that before I upgraded). When I click on the update icon, I see the what is shown on the screenshot.

What can I do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Use the empty cache button in the updater.

Vering
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Vering » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:Use the empty cache button in the updater.
Thank you that did the trick...

Justinal81
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Justinal81 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Not sure if you guys can help me out.

Database schema version (2.5.9) does not match CMS version (2.5.6).

On the front end of my website the template and everything does not look right.

I can get into the back end of Joomla. However I can not get to any of my articles or anything else I get errors.

No sure if my database is hosed where I can not see all my old information no not.

I try and click on the fix button but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Get the full 2.5.11 distribution package. Unzip to your computer. Delete the installation folder and upload to your site. Then use the database fix button in Extensions-> > Extensions Manager-> Database tab.

Enterfrize
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Same Problem, Latest Joomla Version, IIS 7.5 Windows 2008 R2

Post by Enterfrize » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm

I have been having an identical problem right to the current version of Joomla 2.5.X.

I followed the above instructions of copying a fresh Joomla install over my existing one, and I was able to upgrade - but each version moving forward can't use the automatic updater for the same license.txt write error.

All other Joomla updates work as expected; it's just Joomla itself that has the problem.

The directory write permissions look good inside the Joomla control panel. The only solution is to add IIS_IUSR Write permissions to the directory structure, but that doesn't sound wise. Is the main Joomla directory supposed to have write permissions too? It's not listed as a standard directory for these things.

I'm running IIS 7.5 Windows 2008 R2. All help appreciated!

Regards,
Enterfrize

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Same Problem, Latest Joomla Version, IIS 7.5 Windows 200

Post by xfsgpr » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Enterfrize wrote:I have been having an identical problem right to the current version of Joomla 2.5.X.

I followed the above instructions of copying a fresh Joomla install over my existing one, and I was able to upgrade - but each version moving forward can't use the automatic updater for the same license.txt write error.

All other Joomla updates work as expected; it's just Joomla itself that has the problem.

The directory write permissions look good inside the Joomla control panel. The only solution is to add IIS_IUSR Write permissions to the directory structure, but that doesn't sound wise. Is the main Joomla directory supposed to have write permissions too? It's not listed as a standard directory for these things.

I'm running IIS 7.5 Windows 2008 R2. All help appreciated!

Regards,
Enterfrize
Your problem is unique to IIS server and it is better answered in IIS forum at this link:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=623

I hope some moderator can transfer your post to the correct forum.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”