3.0.1 on godaddy (magic quotes gpc Off and display_error off

Need help installing Joomla! 3.x? For all Joomla! 3.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
MarcGagnon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

3.0.1 on godaddy (magic quotes gpc Off and display_error off

Post by MarcGagnon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi! I spent quite a few time fighting with my php5.ini on my shared hosting on godaddy ! Finally I added these lines to my php5.ini file in the server's root

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so

display_errors = Off
error_reporting = Off

and it worked! First part deals with the magic quotes, second section display error. Unless you set these two as 3.0.1. wants, it won't work.

max8er
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: 3.0.1 on godaddy (magic quotes gpc Off and display_error

Post by max8er » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:37 am

MarcGagnon

I have the same problem on go-daddy but i am installing 3.0.2 i have added the lines into my php.ini file but still no change any help would be appreciated thanks in advanced.

hostking
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hostking » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 am

A solution on this would be great. I don't host with Godaddy but trying to figure out the cause as I have a customer with this and would not want to make a change globally.

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:14 pm

max8er wrote:MarcGagnon

I have the same problem on go-daddy but i am installing 3.0.2 i have added the lines into my php.ini file but still no change any help would be appreciated thanks in advanced.
I've just loaded a godaddy shared host with 3.0.2 and things are moving along.
This is the php5.ini file:

Code: Select all

allow-url-fopen = On;
; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
upload_max_filesize = 64M;
; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
post_max_size = 64M;
memory_limit = 64M;
magic_quotes_gpc = Off;
magic_quotes_runtime = Off;
magic_quotes_sybase = Off;
session.save_path = /tmp;
register_globals = 0;
Part of that file was Godaddy code as part of the shared hosting.

I have other issues past that which I'll put in another thread.
i.e. The Media Mgr. will not upload files of any size.

Phil

MarcGagnon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MarcGagnon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm

I installed 3.0.2. and I am back to square one, the menu links are not working giving me an input error. Will try to find a solution.

frustrating to say the least

ultrabr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ultrabr » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:32 am

This does not solve if you use shared server, in my case.

No customer is free to change this on the server, only the support of your hosting can change that.

Very bad the team joomla!! Why require this item in the installation? Absurd!! Why complicate it??

I need to install joomla 3.02, how do I do now? :-\ :-\ :-\

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 am

Very bad of you not asking your provider.
Very bad of provider not properly configuring server.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

digeratis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by digeratis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:55 pm

After making changes to your php.ini and php5.ini, remember to restart your PHP server, on GoDaddy: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article ... ing-effect

crave81
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crave81 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for the update digeratis.

Following this thread fixed the issue for me on Godaddy shared hosting.

cf1237
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cf1237 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:57 pm

I am also having problems with GoDaddy and Joomla 3.x

The Joomla Web installer goes to the Finalisation screen, and makes it through creating the db tables,. It does not, however, continue, and load the Sample Data or create the Configuration files. That's where it stops dead, and just keeps returning me to the Finalisation screen.

My PHP5.ini file contains:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
display_errors = Off
error_reporting = Off

The Joomla installer shows all "green," except it still shows Display Errors as On.

Any ideas out there? TIA!
Last edited by cf1237 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crave81
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by crave81 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi Tia,

This may not be the issue, but sometimes trying a different web browser works. I have had issues using the installer in Chrome, but when I switch to Firefox it works. Good luck!

Dave

cf1237
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cf1237 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Hmm. Never thought of that one. I'm using Firefox 21. I've also opened a ticket with GoDaddy support, but don't expect much from that.

(TIA = "Thanks in Advance")

Will try.

cf1237
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cf1237 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Possible source of problem: Joomla Web Installer shows Display Errrors as set to On, but php5.ini file explicitly sets display_errors = Off. A check of the site with phpinfo shows that indeed, display errors are set to off.

I am convinced that somehow this Joomla install is corrupted, and will now try to begin again: delete db, delete all Joomla files, upload all and try again. Not my idea of fun!

Update: Success! Started all over again: wiped old db, all old Joomla! files. Uploaded fesh Joomla! package, version 3.1.1, ran through Joomla! Web Installer - worked first time! BUT: Apparent bug in Joomla! 3.1.1, as Joomla still reported display_errors as "On," and phpinfo on site shows display_errors = Off. My php5.ini file consist of only these lines:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off

display_errors = Off
error_reporting = Off
session.save_path="/tmp"

I will report Joomla! bug on recognition of display_errors status.

HTH someone!

adelion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adelion » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Guys,
I had same issue, tried all possible options found on the community forum, but none of them worked for GoDaddy shared hosting account.

The issue was solved only after I called GoDaddy support team - they have changed something on their end and it disabled Magic Quotes. Keep in mind that php5.ini with following strings was still needed in root folder:
cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1;
magic_quotes_gpc = Off;

Hope this helped.

orcastu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orcastu » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Following this thread recently I was wondering if I should really move forward with installing 3.0 on go daddy. Since this is a subdomain it would be a pain to move.

It appears that Adelion has had success with the support intervention and these mods

cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1;
magic_quotes_gpc = Off;

Anything else before I make the big dive. I assume people are running this on MySql?

adelion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by adelion » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 am

orcastu wrote:I assume people are running this on MySql?
Not sure what you mean, orcastu. Basically when you talk to GoDaddy support you need to ask to disable Magic Quotes on your account and place php5.ini with strings above to your root folder

susipop
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Rename php.ini to php5.ini ...duh!

Post by susipop » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello everybody! I just want to let you know that, I don't know why, my default .ini file in GoDaddy server root was named php.ini, without the "5" so...

After reading some GD support articles, I realized that they keep talking about a php5.ini file. So I changed it's name and now, my new config is working...

Sounds dumb right? It sounds to me...

Anyway, hope this helps to anyone.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 pm

That is why you should look in System Information => PHP Information to see which configuration files are used.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

MikeFromHC
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MikeFromHC » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Be aware that if you are on a shared server with Godaddy they are still on MySQL 5.0.
I have found threads going back over a year where they have said they were going to update Real Soon Now. This was the same answer I received about three weeks ago. I asked the question again Friday and their response included their usual ad and this comment.
"The current highest version on our shared hosting environment of MySQL is 5.0. If you need a higher version of MySQL to run your website you may want to consider a Virtual Dedicated or a Dedicated server.
I don't know the labor cost of maintaining a current version but it should be less if consistent across all servers.
If this were a car purchase, I'd call it bait and switch.

It is a client site and as yet he is not willing to switch.

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm

php.ini AND/OR php5.ini in your web sites root directory must contain the valid php settings/configurations (essentially overrides).

This is useful because a shared hosting environment like godaddy for example restricts some environment settings that you can override and augment usually as their caps are higher than what is set.

For magic quotes:
magic_quotes_gpc = Off

Updating a php.ini file usually requires a server reboot for the changes to take effect, if you have ssh access "service httpd restart" and for something like godaddy if I recall you have to go into your web management console and actually kill the processes running and they'll restart on their own immediately (it's a wierder process on godaddy and you have to find out where in your back end on godaddy hosting product panel).

Otherwise you likely won't see any changes take effect until the server restarts on it's own in the future.

Or you can do .htaccess method

php_value magic_quotes_gpc 0 OR php_flag magic_quotes Off

Should be immediate for .htaccess, try clearing browser cache to be safe.

The magic quotes stuff is annoying as it really messes with stuff when your writing/authoring content among other things.
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

creative-pro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by creative-pro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:14 pm

F'in FINALLY! I've been trying to solve this for a week! I'm hosting on a GoDaddy shared server and not been able to figure this out. I called GoDaddy and for the first time in nearly ten years they were stumped and didn't have a solution.

The trick to make it work was to reboot PHP.

THANK YOU!!

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Ya a lot of people don't realize you have to reboot the web server for certain things to take effect...and with godaddy it definately isn't easy/obvious.

They have APC now I think, add some apc settings to your php.ini/php5.ini file and max it out, turn off stat and increase size and cache the hell out of your joomla install on their servers. Switch joomla config cache to use APC too, you'll get opcode cache for free I think unless they have wierd settings for APC. Make a seperate ini files for admin area though and disable apc and/or turn stat back on for admin section. Google APC to learn more :)

I'm glad you sorted it out!
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

orcastu
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by orcastu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm

For those of you that have had success are you not running on a shared server. If MySQL is still at 5.0 then it is not compatible with 3 unless somehow it is working.

I wanted to try and get this installed on a shared server in a subdomain but it look like a lot of trouble if not impossible. I guess I will have to look to move hosts which is going to be painful since this was a subdomain.

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

I just did a 3.0 install on godaddy and it worked fine so I would assume they support php 5.3 and mysql 5.1? they also allow you to run old php versions so I wonder if you can also do the same with mysql?

If you have an oooold account the php+mysql settings have likely stayed true and they haven't upgraded you. You can control this manually and also control how php runs I believe, there's several settings in the hosting manager.

It's been a while since I've messed around in there but from what I recall a while back I could choose php versions....there per account control is there and I think you can even choose which php compiler to use by file name extension (that I could be making up so don't quote me on it).

Usually you can tell by their auto installer scripts and if you can choose a joomla 3 auto installer than they must support it, besides big companies like that I can't imagine they wouldn't support joomla 3 yet especially since it's no longer a wee pup and has traveled into more stable territory.

mustanglex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Rename php.ini to php5.ini ...duh!

Post by mustanglex » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 am

*** THIS WAS THE ANSWER THAT WORKS WITHOUT CONTACTING GODADDY ***

I just did a restore using Akeeba backup. The Joomla 3.1.5 site was with Bluehost which did not have this error message. As soon as I restored the site on Godaddy shared server. I got that message. Tried everything above the quote below with no success. I simply added

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so

to the bottom of Godaddy's php.ini file then renamed it to php5.ini and Voila :)

susipop wrote:Hello everybody! I just want to let you know that, I don't know why, my default .ini file in GoDaddy server root was named php.ini, without the "5" so...

After reading some GD support articles, I realized that they keep talking about a php5.ini file. So I changed it's name and now, my new config is working...

Sounds dumb right? It sounds to me...

Anyway, hope this helps to anyone.
Incase this helps anyone who deleted the php.ini file that godaddy has in the root folder here is the code + the additional code to fix the error

register_globals = off
allow_url_fopen = off

expose_php = Off
max_input_time = 60
variables_order = "EGPCS"
extension_dir = ./
upload_tmp_dir = /tmp
precision = 12
SMTP = relay-hosting.secureserver.net
url_rewriter.tags = "a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=,fieldset="

; Only uncomment zend optimizer lines if your application requires Zend Optimizer support

;[Zend]
;zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
;zend_extension_manager.optimizer=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.3.3
;zend_extension_manager.optimizer_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer_TS-3.3.3
;zend_extension=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.3.3/ZendExtensionManager.so
;zend_extension_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer_TS-3.3.3/ZendExtensionManager_TS.so

; -- Be very careful to not to disable a function which might be needed!
; -- Uncomment the following lines to increase the security of your PHP site.

;disable_functions = "highlight_file,ini_alter,ini_restore,openlog,passthru,
;		      phpinfo, exec, system, dl, fsockopen, set_time_limit,
;                     popen, proc_open, proc_nice,shell_exec,show_source,symlink"

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so

Spell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Spell » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 am

Here's what worked for me (finally @%#$&!!) on Linux-based GoDaddy shared hosting platform where I’m trying to launch a Joomla 3.1 website:

1. Create a new php5.ini file (or rename your php.ini to that by adding the number 5 into the title. Easy.

2. Open up your php5.ini doc and put this inside:

magic_quotes_gpc = Off
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.s
display_errors = Off
error_reporting = Off

I open up these kinds of files using Dreamweaver. I think a plain text editor might work also. I’ve never tried that.

You can also open up your php5.ini file in the back end of your GoDaddy account: Go to Hosting > Launch > ControlPanel > Tools section, then click on the File Manager icon > FTP File Manager > then you can select any file and click on “Edit” > input your changes and > Save

3. Create a php.info doc and upload to your root folder. You will need it in a minute. The three steps to do that are,
a. Create a text file with the following line in it:
<? phpinfo(); ?>
b. Name it info.php
c. Upload it to your root folder.

As a note, anytime I have to change a file suffix (as from .txt to .php I do it through my FTP Client by right clicking and selecting “Rename.” Mac computers do not like to change a file suffix through the Finder, so do it through your FTP Client.

4. Now open a new window in your browser and go to yournewwebsite.com/info.php You’ll get a nice long doc showing all your php status.

5. Download your htaccess.txt file. Add the following lines to the top:

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/myusername/public_html/yourJ3folder
<Files php5.ini>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

However, you must first substutite the string “/home/myusername/public_html/yourJ3folder” for your actual path which you will find in the first table of info in your php.info report, listed under “Loaded Configuration File”. Just use the part including “home…” through the name of your root folder, i.e. don’t include “/php5.ini”.

I learned this part from this page. But note I changed the name of the ini file appropriately: http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_turn_off_ ... r_Joomla_3

This Joomla article assumes you are not installing Joomla, but just wanting to turn off magic quotes after your website is already up and running. So it’s not fully applicable.

6. Go into your FTP Client and navigate to your htaccess.txt file. Rename it .htaccess and upload to your root folder. Don’t just click on the file and rename it, especially if you are on a Mac. You may get dire warnings of doom that it could un-stabilize your computer and make all your hair fall out.

7. Your Joomla install should be able to proceed now.

I’ve written this all out, because on my shared hosting plan, without the .htaccess added in there, the php.info showed magic quotes was OFF, however the Joomla Installer continued to show it as ON. Good luck.

NathanHawks
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by NathanHawks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I've done a complete video guide on this, dealing with every frustration I could find. It's a bit on the long side (30 mins) but that's what it took to cover everything from a newbie education perspective.

https://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=SGBW7gzctE4

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:17 pm

It would be nice if Joomla just shipped with a php.ini file and a modified .htaccess file with php ini directives if php.ini override isn't supported. They could all be commented out by default but make it easy for you to identify potential issues.

NathanHawks
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by NathanHawks » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm

On the one hand, that would be nice. On the other hand, some hosts have default php.ini files (including GoDaddy) which you wouldn't want people accidentally overwriting (and even if it started as php.txt, some people would overwrite php.ini without looking to see if its existing contents were important.)
Save time - hire me for your Joomla to-do list! http://nathanhawks.us/joomla

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sitesrus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Yep.

But it's always a good idea to install into a sub folder (and not root) because whether you have one site or not, you can have your own ini files in there and they get respected (same with .htaccess) if your provider supports overrides. Than if there is a global setup by your provider you're likely not touching it because you're in a sub folder.

There's never really a need to install into root/public_html/www but people just do it if they have a single site because they aren't aware how server's serve up websites.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 3.x”