The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive parts...

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
iDanny
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive parts...

Post by iDanny » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi,

For a short while now, I've been getting the "The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive parts are missing." error when trying to upgrade Joomla 3 to 3.x. Same thing for the language packs. This is through the Joomla upgrade interface.

This is common on all of our servers ?

Any thoughts
Danny
Danny
www.benu.ca
Online Success Agency

hafism
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive part

Post by hafism » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 am

Hi iDanny,

This problem happend to me and I managed to fix it.

1) Check whether /tmp directory is available or not in your website file server.
2) Set the /tmp directory in Global Configuration > Server. Make sure it is correct.

Hopefully this little tips helps you :)

activ2012
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by activ2012 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 pm

You are a CHAMPION it was tmp folder issue for me :D

treehugger73
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by treehugger73 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:29 am

Thank you hafism, that solved it for me too.

:D

Corrall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Corrall » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 am

I got this error but the tmp folder is there. If I look at the folder I can see the Joomla_3.2.2-Stable-Update_Package.zip file. Once I clicked okay on the error I now have Updating your Joomla! files. Please wait ... but the progress bar is not moving???

Any ideas

marple
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marple » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am

For me, I actually had to clear out the tmp folder - there were some old files sitting there and this cured. Thanks for this thread.

Corrall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Corrall » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I saw that the file hadn't actually fully downloaded to the tmp file so I downloaded the package and installed via the extension manager. The install worked, as in the site is now Joomla3, but none of the menu items work , which is a whole other issue!

crazylife
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by crazylife » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 am

Hi, just to confirm. I had the same issue with the 3.2.2 update. FTP into your site, bin the contents of the tmp folder and I suggest log out on the admin side of Joomla, log back in, attempt the update and all should work.

Just tested this on a live site and it now works. The error occurred after a weird "timeout" with the update process which probably corrupted the files in some unexpected way.

HTH

cwknox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cwknox » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm getting the same error upgrading a new installation of 3.3.6 to 3.4. The /tmp folder is set in the configuration.php, it exists, and permissions are open. Inside /tmp is a new file with what appears to be the right name, however it is zero-length:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 me me        0 Mar 13 07:49 Joomla_3.4.0-Stable-Update_Package.zip

cwknox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cwknox » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:34 pm

cwknox wrote:I'm getting the same error upgrading a new installation of 3.3.6 to 3.4. The /tmp folder is set in the configuration.php, it exists, and permissions are open. Inside /tmp is a new file with what appears to be the right name, however it is zero-length:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 me me        0 Mar 13 07:49 Joomla_3.4.0-Stable-Update_Package.zip
New development. I scp'ed (kind of like ftp, but secure) the update package to my /tmp directory and pointed the installation to it. Worked like a champ. I'm still running into challenges with installing templates. Digging further into that.

leosvale
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by leosvale » Sun May 10, 2015 1:23 pm

hafism wrote:Hi iDanny,

This problem happend to me and I managed to fix it.

1) Check whether /tmp directory is available or not in your website file server.
2) Set the /tmp directory in Global Configuration > Server. Make sure it is correct.

Hopefully this little tips helps you :)
thanks!!! It solved my issue!

Ironside
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ironside » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 am

For some very annoying reason I started getting this problem today. I have slowly been updating all my 2.5 websites up to the latest version. I have two websites left to do, these are the two websites that are most important to me and therefore I need the whole process to go without any problems and as quickly as possible. So what I've been doing is using a couple of spare domains to practice. Basically I use Akeeba to back the website up. I've then been restoring the website onto the test domain. So what I do then is go through the process of upgrading it up to 3.4.5. It's been working really great, have no problems at all. However, today I've tried it several times and every time I start the update process I get this message, "the archive file is corrupted truncated or archive parts are missing". Unfortunately it's too late, is not just a case of stopping it because the database has been changed slightly and the backend of the whole website is screwed when you try going to administrator. Thankfully because I been using a test domain I can simply wipe all the files and start over. I don't understand why it's just started today, I have not done anything differently.
Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

http://www.tetraplegicliving.com
http://www.oscarfishlover.com

jmb415fr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jmb415fr » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 am

Hi, I have the same problem to upgrade from 2.5.28 to 3.5.
1st - I did the upgrade from 2.5.19 to 2.5.28 and had the problem already. So I used the extension facility and it worked OK. But for upgrade to 3.5, it is not possible to use this facility because the file comes with no extensionname.xml file as a normal extension does.
The file, I downloaded, sems to be correct. I can see all files with winrar program.
I also did all the checks suggested in this topic and all the related ones.

So my questions are :
  • Can I put the zip file in the tmp directory directly(zipped or unzipped)?
  • How can I use it, the upgrade screen cannot be changed to use a file instead of a download ?
  • Is there another method to apply this upgrade?
Thanks a lot, because I spent 3 days already and I am afraid to have to do the same on the operational site.

prokops
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive parts...

Post by prokops » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 pm

So, I have the same issue. The pattern is the same - I upgraded from a 2.x joomla and now have lost the ability to click-update.

Folder are good, so something is broke in the 2x to 3x process.

Any good answers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

gusdouw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: The Archive file is corrupted, truncated or archive parts...

Post by gusdouw » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 am

Here is how you solve the problem once and for all:

1. Log into your Joomla! Admin. Go to your hosting directory ROOT and make sure you have a Temp folder. If not, you need to create one before the next steps.
2. Next, go to Global Configuration.
3. In top menu, under SYSTEM, ensure your path to log folder reads like this: /home/domain/public_html/tmp, where the "domain" is, is just that, as in the name of your DIRECTORY in Cpanel but WITHOUT the .com or .net.

Example, if your domain name is called trout-fishing.com, you probably just need to enter /home/trout/public_html/tmp

4. In top menu, under SERVER, ensure your path to log folder reads the same: /home/domain/public_html/tmp, where the "domain" is just that, as in the name of the directory in Cpanel but without the .com or .net.

5. Now SAVE, and go back to the Joomla! update menu and try. If you succeed, you might want to tweak your other Joomla! sites same way.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”