Slow response time using Godaddy.com

Discussion regarding Joomla! Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
natefun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Slow response time using Godaddy.com

Post by natefun » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Im currently hosting my site http://www.kpeg.com and sometimes when hitting the site the response time is slow, taking about 10 to 15 secs to load, I have not called them.  My question is this though, its not always slow, sometimes it loads super quick which it should, not alot of graphics.  Seems like during the afternoon is when the slowest load times occurs. 

Has anyone ever experienced this with Godaddy at all?  Or is it something with my site?  Im running 1.08.

Thanks

tjyoung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Slow response time using Godaddy.com

Post by tjyoung » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:17 am

Though I haven't used Godaddy, I do have a suspicion or two:
I have been using jumpline.com as well as rochenhost.com

Jumpline.com is a VPS system - I was thinking this would be beneficial, not dragged down by other users like a shared server, root access etc. But I have had about 5 joomla sites on different VPS servers with jumpline and they all have that dreaded 10 second or so first page load. Basic installs, modules off, no stats etc. etc. etc.

rochenhost.com - shared setup. I originally thought that perhaps the VPS system of jumpline's takes a few seconds to 'kick on' so a shared server would help, essentially, there is likely always to be users visiting any number of sites on the server so it should be 'awake'. Well obviously I had no idea what I was talking about and the performance was about the same.

Then something miraculous happened...rochenhost upgraded their RAM on the server I'm on and ever since then, nice and quick. Once in a blue moon some [redacted] floods the mySQL server and brings the whole thing to its knees (rochenhost, if you are reading this...get those idiots off the servers if you want to keep any business).

So in the end, this is my suspicion...the server simply doesn't have enough RAM to fulfill the requests so it drags. With jumpline.com, they don't actually mention how much RAM is assigned to your VPS server, so who knows. With rochenhost, the server had 2 gigs and was upgraded to 4. Did I mention huge difference? Yes much better.

In my own opinion, servers need lots of free RAM to make joomla run like it should. No 10 second initial loads etc.

tj

natefun
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by natefun » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Hello everyone,

After moving my sites to 1and1.com I no longer have the slow repsonse time that I had at Godaddy.com

Yahhhhhhhhhhh, Im soooo happy.

-Natefun

Kursat
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kursat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:29 pm

For my web sites i am using http://www.Generaldots.com dedicated servers for my hosting needs. i have not meet the problems you have mentioned above. But there can be problem if you were using a shared server which means you share the same server with dozens of other sites. some of those sites can be heavy traffic websites which also reduces your sites responce times and performance.
Last edited by Kursat on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Generaldots.com

umaravesh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by umaravesh » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:20 am

Hey,

Well, I am with go daddy currently... i havent had any other problem but whats mentioned here.... the response time is slow... and i think they need to do something abt it...

I am currently trying jumpline.com... so i dont know how good they are yet... but i am having problems in installing joomla and the database... lets c maybe its my lack of knowledge... one thing about godaddy is things are understandable... and simple...
But having a good response time is more important..

Cheers,
Khokaravesh

Kursat
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kursat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:15 pm

For the fanatical support, load balancing and whole hosting quality mostly http://www.rackspace.com is recommended.
But i prefer GoDaddy because of its prices. Rack people several times called me by phone and always they want to
phone you for your hosting needs. They know this business, they try to give the best for their customers but they
have very high price for my budget.

If i stop GoDaddy, and if money will not be my case i say go RackSpace.com .
Generaldots.com

jewellman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jewellman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Starting today, I am having unusually slow load times (20+ seconds) with all 4 of my Joomla sites. I used to have somewhere around 3-6 second load times which I still thought was too slow compared to my html sites which load in .5 secs. I called godaddy and they say it is a known issue and they are working on it. I have Linux shared hosting and have never had any issues like this. A few more days of this crap and I'm going to have to make a change.

milanilic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by milanilic » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm having similar problems. Using http://tools.pingdom.com/ I can see that my two Joomla sites take about 13-15 sec to load, where as my two html sites take 2-3 sec, even thought they're bigger in size.

I also called godaddy support was told that it was a known issue and there was no need to raise a ticket and that they'd fix is as soon as possible.

Has anyone solved this problem with Godaddy or you just need to find another host :'( ?

Return to “Performance - 1.0.x”