Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Help Screens 1.0.x Suggestions, Corrections etc

Post by humvee » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Chris Davenport wrote:
Right at the top:
Change: Type: com_Languages
To: Type: com_languages
Over exuberant use of the Find and Replace!!

Note to self don't be a muppet! :-[
Done

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 pm

Hi Andy,

At the risk of further embarrassing you, that's "com_languages" with an "s" in the Language Editor screen.  ;)

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:11 am

Humphhhhh!!!

Done

;)

Andy

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:08 am

Media Manager: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/54/153/

Access section (at the top):
Add: or Quick Icon=>Media Manager

Change: root/images
To: joomla_root/images
In two locations: Under "Description" and in File Upload

Change: Upload: Click the Upload icon to transfer an image file from a local computer to the Joomla! Images directory.
To: Upload: Click the Upload icon to transfer an image file from a local computer to the joomla_root/images directory tree.

Change: Create: Click the Create icon to create a new directory within the Media Manager.
To: Create: Click the Create icon to create a new directory within the joomla_root/images tree.

Add the following note after File Upload:
{Note icon} Note: There is usually an upper limit to the size of image files that can be uploaded through the Media Manager.  This upper limit is indicated by, for example, "[Max = 8M]", which indicates that files bigger than 8 megabytes cannot be uploaded.  This limit is set in the configuration for PHP and may differ between Joomla! installations.  The limit cannot be altered from within Joomla! and some hosting companies do not allow the limit to be altered at all.  To allow larger files to be uploaded you will probably need to increase upload_max_filesize and post_max_size.  For very large files you may also need to increase max_execution_time and memory_limit.

"Related Information" to follow...    Hmmm. ;)

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:27 pm

All "joomla_root" changes made.

Included PHP extra info (nice catch) modified slightly.

Added QI

Added Related Info

Thanks

Andy

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Chris Davenport » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:07 am

Back again, after a short Christmas break. :D  :pop

Preview: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1684/222/

Change description from: A Site Preview function has been provided to enable the resultant effects on the web site, of the work carried out in the Administrator Back-end, to be viewed.
To: The Site Preview function allows you to quickly see the current Front-end of your web site without having to log out of the Administrator Back-end.  You could use this, for example, to check on the effect of something you have just changed in the Back-end.  It is also possible to use this function to get a visual display of the locations of the Front-end Site module areas.

The sentence: Opens a view of the Front-end of the current site in a new browser window, starting with the Front Page (Home Page),
terminates with a comma instead of a full stop.

Replace 2 occurrences of the word "IFrame" with "frame", or possibly re-word to avoid mentioning frames at all?

Change: This is a useful function for identifying into which of the various blocks (Positions) within a Template, to enter a particular Content, Module, or Menu, for example.
To: This is a useful function for identifying into which of the various blocks (Positions) within a Template, to place particular Modules or Menus, for example.

Regards,
Chris.
Chris Davenport

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:31 am

Hi Chris

Welcome back and hope you had a good time.
Chris Davenport wrote: Preview: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1684/222/
To: The Site Preview function allows you to quickly see the current Front-end of your web site without having to log out of the Administrator Back-end.  You could use this, for example, to check on the effect of something you have just changed in the Back-end.  It is also possible to use this function to get a visual display of the locations of the Front-end Site module areas.
Done with modification to use of the imperative, and active, voices/styles.
The sentence: Opens a view of the Front-end of the current site in a new browser window, starting with the Front Page (Home Page),
terminates with a comma instead of a full stop.
Done
Replace 2 occurrences of the word "IFrame" with "frame", or possibly re-word to avoid mentioning frames at all?
Yep I had a tussle over this one as IFrames seems a very specific reference which I wasn't very happy about but then when i looked through the core notes it kept referring to it so I left it. Anyway done.
To: This is a useful function for identifying into which of the various blocks (Positions) within a Template, to place particular Modules or Menus, for example.
Done with slight mod

Regards,

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 pm

You are doing a great job. This will be also useful to write/update the 1.5 Help Screens.

Just a commentary about the completed work. There is a minor change in Joomla! 1.0.12 Trash Manager with the tags (now there is a drop down list for menu items and content items selection). Note: I see you are making now the screen captures for Content Menu from Joomla! 1.0.12. So, I suppose you will update those for Site and Menu Menu.

Finally, I think there is an error with the Related Information link for Page Impressions **NEW**:

- Global Configuration [Stats Tab] (it links to Search Engine Text **NEW** ).

Once again, I would like to thank your effort.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi Leadict,

Thanks for the feedback, I will look at the Trash Manager as soon as possible (well in a minute or two at least ;)).

With regard the images I am doing 1.0.12 for all the screens I am currently working on and I will - time permitting - go back and redo the screenshots from 1.0.11 although this will not be a priority as there are no significant changes (well other than all the spelling checks done on the detail fields for the Joomla! 1.0.12 release).

I will fix the incorrect link - caused it seems by editing an existing link rather than creating a new one. But hey ho.

Thanks for taking the time to look and check things through and if you are able to do any more checking I would be grateful as the aim is to (try to) get it right.

Thanks for the thanks :)

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi,

Changes made to the Trash Manager display selection.

Link updated. [Edit: Fixed again - the link still hadn't taken properly :P)

Images updated from 1.0.11 to 1.0.12.

Thanks

Andy
Last edited by humvee on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jefferis
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

[ACTIONED]Install plug in vs. component/mambot

Post by jefferis » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm

I am finding some items labeled as plugins but they are failing with both mambot  and component  and module installers.
ERROR: Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.
[ Continue ... ]
Upload component - Failed
Installation file not found:
/usr/www/users/name/tacky/media/install_45b8f229d7cfc/plug_cbprofilegallery/
[ Continue ... ]

Upload new mambot - Error
Installation file not found:
/usr/www/users/name/tacky/administrator/components/com_installer/mambot/
[ Continue ... ]

Docs on plugins would be helpful

[Edit: Marked for review for HS & UM]
Last edited by humvee on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Install plug in vs. component/mambot

Post by humvee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi Jefferis,

That is a good point as in some Third Party Components they have additional Plugins that are installed via their own console. Typically JCE is the main one I have personally come across. But I know there are others.

I will certainly add something in this respect to the Help Screens and manuals for 1.0.x.

There is however a potential for extra confusion - at least in the early days - in 1.5.x as Mambots are now renamed Plugins but I am sure this will resolve itself.

If you continue to have a problem check the menu entry for the Component that the Plugin is intended for and see if there is a separate Manager/Installer for them there. Alternatively, it might be within the configuration settings screen.

Thanks for the suggestion and hope you soon (if not already) sort the issue.

Andy

ztifv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Date Correction in text : 1.0.x Information & Changelog

Post by ztifv » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:23 pm

Home = Administrator 1.0x = Information & Changelog
http://help.joomla.org/content/view/1901/265/

Top of page notes this:
10 Feb 2007

Should be this:
01 Feb 2007

Low priority change - but since it is a changelog - I figured I would point it out.

==
I did a quick search for the appropriate place to put this info... this post seemed the most appropriate.
Just advise and/or move it if it belongs elsewhere.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Date Correction in text : 1.0.x Information & Changelog

Post by humvee » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks ztifv,

It was a deliberate ploy to see if anyone was actually reading it ;)

but seriously thanks for pointing this out, time passes quickly enough as it is without making it even faster!

Regards

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi humvee,

I have noticed two minor instances about the style:

1. The help screen title divergence between "Administrator Modules" and "Site Modules".

2. The new icon for the updated pages is over the "Article index" of multipage articles on IE 7 (not in FF 2.0 :)).

For example: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/49/258/

PS: Glad to see you are finishing the update.
"The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think" - Edwin Schlossberg.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:00 pm

leadict wrote: Hi humvee,

I have noticed two minor instances about the style:

1. The help screen title divergence between "Administrator Modules" and "Site Modules".

2. The new icon for the updated pages is over the "Article index" of multipage articles on IE 7 (not in FF 2.0 :)).

For example: http://help.joomla.org/content/view/49/258/
Hi Leadict

WRT #1 This is not a divergence as there are Site Modules for the Front-end of Joomla! and Administrator Modules for the Administrator Back-end> This is explained in the Modules - What are they? page.

WRT #2 I will look into this and see what can be done. Probably just going to be a case of aligning them all the left instead of the right :'(

Thanks for taking the time to let me know ;)

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:20 pm

humvee wrote:WRT #1 This is not a divergence as there are Site Modules for the Front-end of Joomla! and Administrator Modules for the Administrator Back-end> This is explained in the Modules - What are they? page.
Yes, i know that. But i refer to the title differences for "Modules: Edit" Screens.

For example:

- The title for "Site Module: Edit" Screens is: Module Manager: Site Module: Edit [ Banners ] **NEW**
- The title for "Administrator Module: Edit" Screens is: Administrator Module: Edit [ Logged ] **NEW**

The divergence is the text "Module Manager" before Site Modules only, not for Admin Modules (i say it for consistency).

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi

Right with you now - it's been a long day! :-[

I will look at this - I had been considering removing the Module Manager (and on other screens ) bit anyway in a bid to shorten the titles down - which also as it happens will make the other point you made "redundant" in that it should not happen any more.

I'll get the content all finished and then review it all once more.

Thanks for your patience in explaining further :)

Regards

andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:37 am

Thanks you, Andy  :)
You are doing a great effort... reviewing once more... and more.

Another case that you could consider (about Module Menu) would be a new content item for Administrator Modules similar to Module Manager: Site Modules: Edit **NEW**.

This would be Module Manager: Administrator Modules: Edit **NEW**

I don't know if "Administrator Module: Edit [module-name]" Screens have an actual link/key reference (like "Site Module: Edit" for the list of available site modules).
Last edited by leadict on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:05 am

Hi Leadict,

You keep looking I am glad someone is! :)

TBH I was uncertain whether to include this I did actually have a key reference placeholder for it but deleted it before we added the new key references to 1.0.12.

If people think it should be there for completeness I can add it.

Andy

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:50 am

leadict wrote:
Yes, i know that. But i refer to the title differences for "Modules: Edit" Screens.

For example:

- The title for "Site Module: Edit" Screens is: Module Manager: Site Module: Edit [ Banners ] **NEW**
- The title for "Administrator Module: Edit" Screens is: Administrator Module: Edit [ Logged ] **NEW**
Hi Leadict,

Just to follow up on this I have removed the "Module Manager:" from the Site Module titles as this was pretty much redundant.

I will look into the IE 7 display issue with regard the icon tomorrow.

Thanks for your assistance.

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks, Andy,

About the next "Help Pack",

1. We had been informed on "Important Changes in Joomla! 1.0.12" (Joomla! Developer Blog ) that:
Plans are being considered to release a help system patch which will correct the problems associated with the “Help” buttons in the tool-bars so that all the help buttons use the correct, most updated help screen possible.
Some buttons link to an incorrect help screen. One i have noticed is "Module Manager [Administrator]" which links to "Module Manager [Site], another is "Administrator Module: Edit [module-name]" which links to "Site Module: Edit" (i have mentioned this in my previous message).

There are more cases, I have done a list with the key references/help screens/toolbar connection. I could report it.

2. With the update there are more than 150 help screens. This is wonderful, but the index on the "Help wrapped" is too long.

I think that could be useful have a structure like the Help Site. It would be a index with links to the menu sections: Home, Site, Menu, Components...

Then we will need to create a index.html for every Menu Section: index_home, index_site, index_menu.... each of these would contain a list of its content items (help screens).
Last edited by leadict on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi

I understand your point and it is one that I happen to agree with. Unfortunately there are not the resources available to change all the links in the individual components etc that I believe (I am sure someone on the Dev side could qualify this) that would be necessary to correct the  click through links from the help buttons to their specific screens. The intention with the patch as far as I understand it is that it will be a pack of the help screens to replace those in the help directory, that will link certainly to those help buttons that are currently coded correctly. The others that have been added will be available only from the Wrapped Help page.

I will certainly look into a way of reordering the index by menu label to mimic the Help site. Provided this does not require any changes to the core files and does not break those links already working then I can't see a problem with it (other than time).

You are doubtless aware that all the resources of the Dev teams and associated work groups including the User Doc WG are all geared solely to the 1.5 release so there is little 'spare' to do the work on 1.0.12 no matter how much we would want to see it. Resources are limited.

Will see what can be done.

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 am

I understand you too. My comments were done only to take advantage of your great work with the update.

I think the new structure for the help screens (with one help page for every administrator screen) has supposed a good advance. But i feel so sorry if it isn't possible to fully make up it with the software.

I don't know if it isn't possible on technical terms. But you must evaluate it because for Joomla! 1.5 Help Screens it will happen the same things, or indeed worse (take into account the use of tags into management screens to browse from one to another, for example: the unified installer screen).

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:16 am

leadict wrote: I understand you too. My comments were done only to take advantage of your great work with the update.

I think the new structure for the help screens (with one help page for every administrator screen) has supposed a good advance. But i feel so sorry if it isn't possible to fully make up it with the software.

I don't know if it isn't possible on technical terms. But you must evaluate it because for Joomla! 1.5 Help Screens it will happen the same things, or indeed worse (take into account the use of tags into management screens to browse from one to another, for example: the unified installer screen).
Thanks for the compliment ;)

As for the 1.5 screens the 'team' working on these are indeed looking at expanding the help screens along similar lines although I am uncertain quite what integration is planned as I have not been involved in the work so wouldn't presume to comment.

Regards

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:25 am

Hi Andy

I have found other errors with regard to Help Screens:

1. By accessing from the Administrator: The help button of the "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" screen links to "Add / Edit Menu Item :: Link - Content Item **NEW**", so i think there is an error on the key reference location (screen.menus) at Help Site.

2. The "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" screenshot is incorrect (now it shows the "Menu Manager").

3. In some help content items there is an empty space (about 800 px) before the text by browsing with IE7 (not for FF 2.0). For example, the above content item (Menu Manager [mainmenu]).

Sorry, it seems that the only thing i am doing is to report errors  :'(.

PS: Another question: Could you unblock my count at help workshop (my username is leadict)? (I would like to help on Help Screens 1.5 update, I had talked with Michelle by mail some weeks ago).

Regards.
Leandro

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi Leandro,
leadict wrote: 1. By accessing from the Administrator: The help button of the "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" screen links to "Add / Edit Menu Item :: Link - Content Item **NEW**", so i think there is an error on the key reference location (screen.menus) at Help Site.
I have looked into this and all the key references are correct, however I am making further enquiries to sort this out. Thanks for highlighting it.
2. The "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" screenshot is incorrect (now it shows the "Menu Manager").

This arose whilst I am updating images to 1.0.12 of those screens completed before 1.0.12 release. I had already found and (thought) I had corrected it. Oh the joys of updating links and objects through JCE! It constantly fails to accept an update so you have to completely delete and start again. Anyway resolved thanks
3. In some help content items there is an empty space (about 800 px) before the text by browsing with IE7 (not for FF 2.0). For example, the above content item (Menu Manager [mainmenu]).
This again is a known issue and I have been doing a review of all the files and cleaning up the HTML code that JCE doesn't always clear even with deleting. This is ongoing (and very very tiresome!)
PS: Another question: Could you unblock my count at help workshop (my username is leadict)? (I would like to help on Help Screens 1.5 update, I had talked with Michelle by mail some weeks ago).
Afraid you will need to take this up with Michelle direct as I am not authorised to add/remove memberships. I am sure she will see this though and let you know.

And don't worry about posting stuff that is what the forum is for and I appreciate the time you are contributing to make things better. A fresh pair of eyes is always useful.

Regards

Andy

leadict
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by leadict » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:44 pm

For the first issue:
[quote=∓quot;humvee"\]I have looked into this and all the key references are correct, however I am making further enquiries to sort this out. Thanks for highlighting it.
[/quote]
Did you check the key reference parameter for "Add / Edit Menu Item :: Link - Content Item" and "Menu Manager [ mainmenu ]" content items at Help Site? (...trying the obvious).
[quote=∓quot;humvee"\]And don't worry about posting stuff that is what the forum is for and I appreciate the time you are contributing to make things better. A fresh pair of eyes is always useful.[/quote]
Thanks for your patience. I have new stuff:

- For "Section Manager" content item there is an error in "Copy Section" link (see: related information). It links to "Content Items Manager :: Copy Content Items". I will keep on checking for incorrect links.

- There are other minor issues about title consistency. But I think you are reviewing those.
Last edited by leadict on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:50 pm

For "Section Manager" content item there is an error in "Copy Section" link (see: related information). It links to "Content Items Manager :: Copy Content Items". I will keep on checking for incorrect links.
Fixed. Again this is down to having to delete and not edit a link. It may well occur else where.
There are other minor issues about title consistency. But I think you are reviewing those.
Yes these are all getting reviewed as I work my way through the screens.

Thanks

Andy

mig69
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mig69 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi,
The "help" button of the menu manager[mainmenu] doesn't link to the right page (Joomla 1.0.12). It links to a menu::new content item help page.
Hope this helps,
jc

Return to “Suggestions, Modifications, and Corrections”