Welcome to the Joomla! Help Site - Discussion Topic

Joomla! Documentation Workgroup

Moderator: Documentation

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Welcome to the Joomla! Help Site - Discussion Topic

Post by humvee » Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm

This topic has been included to allow general discussion following today's news item regarding the future of the Joomla! Help Site.
Welcome to the Joomla! Help Site

Regards

Andy
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the Topic Type from Sticky to Normal

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Welcome to the Joomla! Help Site - Discussion Topic

Post by brian » Mon May 07, 2007 1:43 pm

Maybe post this important info on www, dev and news.j.org?
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon May 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Cheers Brian,

There will certainly be far more specific developments that will be added that deserve a place elsewhere, this is just the first step, to (hopefully) create some valid intererest.

Andy

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon May 07, 2007 2:01 pm

It'sj ust that not many people actualy visit the help site on a regular basis, especialy those with the skills and knowledge to contribute

I will of course write something for JWN

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Mon May 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Maybe a small piece on the dev/blog would also help in spreading this to as much visitors/users possible.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm

and of course all the other sites in the j!sphere have syndicated feeds

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon May 07, 2007 3:37 pm

brian wrote: I will of course write something for JWN
Thanks for that Brian

Andy

rkparts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rkparts » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:10 pm

As you folks are working on the help site i have a favor to ask. 

PLEASE remember those of us who have started with joomla with no background in any of the programming skills etc.

I have had several critical issues in the last month and it has been almost impossible to find info that is all in one place or that has made any sense to me. 

please remember that we don't want to drive everyone crazy in the forums!

most of the folks like me don't speak programmer and when you say a config file, we may not even know where it is. 
or questions so simple like: where are the copy for the pages stored? is not even in the forums.

I love joomla and plan to hang in there and learn what I can learn as fast as i can.                       
I do appreciate all that you folks do more than you know.

Joomla and all that you folks have done is allowing us to get a website up.  Ron is a 100% disabled Vet and at 55 I can't screenprint anymore due to arthritis.  We used to work the show circut and i have always done graphic design.  the web is really about all we can do at this point.  needless to say we do not have the cash to get a website professionally done. i am sure we are not the only folks out there with this kind of story.   

As you do this documentation please don't forget about the newbie so new that we don't know what newbie means.

I can't offer anything except my time, if you would like someone who is a newbie to read some of the articles and see if they make sense I will be glad to do that for you guys

thanks for listening         

willow

leahcim_dach
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by leahcim_dach » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:05 am

rkparts wrote: As you folks are working on the help site i have a favor to ask. 

PLEASE remember those of us who have started with joomla with no background in any of the programming skills etc.

I have had several critical issues in the last month and it has been almost impossible to find info that is all in one place or that has made any sense to me. 

most of the folks like me don't speak programmer and when you say a config file, we may not even know where it is. 
or questions so simple like: where are the copy for the pages stored? is not even in the forums.

I love joomla and plan to hang in there and learn what I can learn as fast as i can.                       

Joomla and all that you folks have done is allowing us to get a website up.  Ron is a 100% disabled Vet and at 55 I can't screenprint anymore due to arthritis.  We used to work the show circut and i have always done graphic design.  the web is really about all we can do at this point.  needless to say we do not have the cash to get a website professionally done. i am sure we are not the only folks out there with this kind of story.   

As you do this documentation please don't forget about the newbie so new that we don't know what newbie means.

I can't offer anything except my time, if you would like someone who is a newbie to read some of the articles and see if they make sense I will be glad to do that for you guys

thanks for listening         

willow
Hi, Willow-
We appreciate your input. I assure you we are doing our best to produce documentation that will be informative for both the "newbie" and veteran alike. The issues you bring up, are in fact considerations that have been taken, and we will continue to do so. I can only speak for myself, but once the documentation for 1.5 is rolled out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Thank-you!

[Edit]- Just as Joomla! is being built from the ground up, we are also doing so on our end of things. I think you'll like it...or at least hope so.  :)

Chad
Last edited by leahcim_dach on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:07 am

Hi Willow
rkparts wrote: As you folks are working on the help site i have a favor to ask. 
That is often where most of us started ;)
Like you that is why we are trying to make a difference on the Documentation Project. You don't notice something is missing until you need it. You won't drive anyone crazy by asking new questions on the Forums that is what they are there for after all. You will only drive them crazy if you ask questions that have been answered before so it is always good to do a search of the site or a Google search which can often provide better results.
Most of the folks like me don't speak programmer and when you say a config file, we may not even know where it is. 
Most of the User Documentation Team are not coders or have very limited experience in coding and our aim is to write documentation purely from the Users' perspective. After all, we have a Developer Documentation Team who will look after the coders out there. Most of us at one time or another have said we do documentation because we can't code and that is our contribution to the community.

As do we and despite the fact that it can all get frustrating and confusing some times it is worth sticking with.
Thank you, there have been a lot of people over time that have been involved in the Project some still with it others that have moved on, and it does not always go as quickly as we would like but we will get there. We can always do with more people but documentation often is not seen to be as glamorous as coding :)
Disability in its many guises affects many of us and the web and more importantly projects like Joomla! can be a lifeline to those both needing help as well as those providing helpful web sites.
Our target audience considerations is always from the newbie starting point and we will hopefully then guide you through the various levels.
Your perspective on this will be appreciated as we start to roll out the new screens, and subsequently the installation, User and Administrator Manuals.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us with your views.

Andy

Return to “docs.joomla.org - Feedback/Information”