How to automatically disable new users who self register?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! site? Pop your questions in here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
kjbrazil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

How to automatically disable new users who self register?

Postby kjbrazil » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Hello, I would like to do the following:

Allow user self registration, but keep their account disabled until an Administrator manually enables their account and chooses their privilege level (registered vs. author).

This is for a closed HOA community site and we dont want to have to manually create userid's and passwords, but we also don't want users to have automatic access to non-public content as soon as they login.  There are two levels of access: Renter (registered user) and Owner (Author).  As you can see I'm sort of working around Joomla's acl system since I can only use public, registered, or special access.

Does this make sense, or is is there a better way?  I have tried disabling "use new account activation", but that just seems to automatically enable the new registered account without an email activation.

Also, it seems that having a disabled account does not even let you have access to public items.  If there is a workaround for that, then that's cool too, otherwise if I can just change the text the user recieves when they register so they know to wait for approval, that would be fine.

Thanks so much! :)

Kelly

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to automatically disable new users who self register?

Postby dhuelsmann » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:19 pm

Implement community builder. It will allow you to specify activation only on admin approval.

kjbrazil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby kjbrazil » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks!

092098jvm
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby 092098jvm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:17 am

I can't use CB on my site but I would like the activation email to come to me instead of to the user who registered. Is this possible? Does anyone know where to make the code change?
[url]KisMac.com[/url]

Return to “Administration - 1.0.x”