Tools for automated migration to Joomla 1.5

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Tools for automated migration to Joomla 1.5

Post by davidgal » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi,

Some major fixes have been done today to the migration (in the svn). Mainly regarding converstion of menu item.

Can you please recheck and try and narrow down the problems that you are still encountering.

Thanks,

David
David Gal

ccondrup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ccondrup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:12 am

Hello David, and thanks for the update!
I downloaded latest SVN just now, dropped all tables in the db, and tried the same approach as last time. I got the exact same result. Same error in Firefox 1.5.0.7, and same layout problem and error in IE (now version 7). Could not find a newer com_migrator so I used the same dump as last time.

Screenshots of the process:
This is what pops up after it has loaded the migration zip file.

If I click "Cancel", this is what comes next:

If I click "OK", this is what happens:

Database is filled correctly anyways (in all attempts):

NB!
After writing the previous post in this thread, I worked quite a lot on that migrated site. Kinda weird, but all I had to do was install and publish the extended menu module (mod_exmenu) - go into the db and change that menu's "menu"-field from mod_mainmenu to mod_exmenu. This made the whole frontend appear again - and the menu was working without a flaw! (I emailed the developer of exmenu, and he said he would not expect this to work as the menu db-content has been altered, but it did. (He will update his module asap)).

Please note
I can make a new menu with submenus through the 1.5 backend, it works fine, albeit a bit timeconsuming. This would probably be the way I currently will end up doing, which means migration of menus didn't "work" (yes I know they were exmenu-menus). Anyways, a note about the new backend menu-manager: I wish there was a quicker way to set type of menu. Just a dropdown would be nice, to save some time with administrative work. Don'r remove the current function with a separate "page" to set type, just provide an alternate way. The current one is very nice for getting to know the menu systems and link types, but once you know'em, you just want to make the menus quick, with least amount of clicks and wait-time!

thanks for listening, Chris
Last edited by ccondrup on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you know there's a Joomla irc channel? Chat to Joomla people live 24/7 - Join #joomla on the Freenode network ( irc.freenode.net )

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by davidgal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

From the info you provided I tend to suspect that the problems are caused by the exmenu component which probably introduces some unexpected values into the menu table.

The migration is designed to automatically handle all data related to core components. The idea is to manually migrate 3PD components' data to the new site. I believe that exmenu is a special case of a 3PD component using a core data table.

As you concluded correctly - in this case the menus need to be manually reconstructed.

Cheers,
David
David Gal

davidgal
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by davidgal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:36 pm

mixed wrote:
eyezberg wrote: I just tried to test the migration tool. You may want to update the download in the first post to point to the new Forge version.. ;)
Since this topic is now sticky, I agree that it would be helpful David if you updated your first page to include the link to the forge, and perhaps delete the attached file, so you don't have people downloading the old code and then raising support issues here.  Took me a while to find the link to the latest version but I will go and download it and give it a go.

Thanks for all your work on it!!
Done!
Thanks,
David
David Gal

ccondrup
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ccondrup » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:05 pm

davidgal wrote: The migration is designed to automatically handle all data related to core components. The idea is to manually migrate 3PD components' data to the new site. I believe that exmenu is a special case of a 3PD component using a core data table.
Hello again, just in case you did not notice, I sent you a pm with urls for testing. Please let me know if I can delete that testaccount.

I understand that 3PD components will need to be handled separatly.. but Extended menu is no component, it is only a module. It also uses the standard "main menu". It probably alters that main menu in some way that makes the migration fail somewhat, and the migrated site does not work. I am prepared to handle it manually, and I do have the knowledge to do so, but a lot of other people might not..?

However, 2 "issues" remain:
* These menus are included in the MIGRATION archive created by com_migrator
* It is not possible to finish the installer because the installer fails at the migration import, so although you get database content, there is  no configuration.php and you will never be able to access the site.

I have requested one possible solution to this: Simply add an option to install step #6 that says "do not install any data". See Artifact 6458. This way you can try to migrate, see the installer fail, restart it and choose this "do not install data" just to get configuration.php, as the db content already is ok. At least this would not require a lot of direct manual editing.

- Chris
Did you know there's a Joomla irc channel? Chat to Joomla people live 24/7 - Join #joomla on the Freenode network ( irc.freenode.net )

sunon
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sunon » Sat May 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Could someone please give a Joomla Code link. The Link link in 1.5 links to a blog which doesnt link to joomla code it still goes to the old forge. If the blog could be updated or something! Anything!  :laugh:

[email protected]
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by [email protected] » Sat May 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Me TOO!!!

I can not find this anywhere, yet it seems to be one of the most critical things that needs testing.
All Southern Chile www.allsouthernchile.com

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sat May 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi,

The migrator project/tool has been migrated to the new forge in the last few days, but still has to be activated by the developer.

louis.landry
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by louis.landry » Sat May 05, 2007 8:35 pm

The migrator will be finalised and made available with the release of 1.5 RC ... there was no sense in keeping it updated as things changed so rapidly in the beta cycle.

Louis
Joomla Platform Maintainer
A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.

sunon
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by sunon » Sat May 05, 2007 8:50 pm

ok, so I dont need to worry. The final release will have it included then!  :D
Thanxs

ralpher.ren
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ralpher.ren » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:00 am

Joomla 1.5 is so significantly changed from 1.0 that there is no 'upgrade' path.
I want to go to the bottom of this.
If I have an old component for 1.0,how can I use it in 1.5,do I need to develop it again for 1.5?

If I want to develop a new component for both 1.0 and 1.5, do I need to develop it twice for each other?

Any tips and replys will be appreciated :)

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:29 am

Most components will work unmodified in Joomla! 1.5 using legacy mode.

Components that will not work in legacy mode should need little modification.

If you use the new API, your component will not work in 1.0.  But you can use the old API in 1.5 and your component should work fine.

Avoid relying on register globals as this will not work in 1.5, and making modifications to the core database tables.

Ian

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:31 am

@ian
Just as a sidetrack, congrats with your "member of the month" signature. I just noticed it  :D
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

ianmac
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ianmac » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Thank you.

Ian

Omid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Omid » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks Mate

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:36 am

Original post has been updated to reflect new url for the Migrator component.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this is already on someone's todo-list, or if i should open a tracker item for the Installer part.

@David Gal: your blog post, "Migrating content to Joomla 1.5" http://www.joomla.org/component/option, ... ,33/p,107/ needs to be updated to reflect the current status and procedure of the new migrator component.
This URL is linked to in the Installer Screen in "2.b Migration of content from previous versions"

Will the new migrator component also work with Mambo 4.5.x up as mentioned in your post?

And: can someone "urge" the Translation Partners/Teams to provide a similar (translated) document on their respective website once "Migrating content to Joomla 1.5" is either updated or superceded by an updated version, so they can change the link accordingly to point to instructions in the user's language.
I'll cross post this "request" in the TT forum.

Thank you,

CirTap
Last edited by CirTap on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:07 am

Core is aware of the 2 matters stated.

1. Sam is finishing up a Tutorial about the Migrator component. This will replace the obsolete blog by david.

2. A solution has been proposed by the Translation Working group and we are waiting for a decision.
The translations can't be hosted on Accredited Translators sites for many reasons, one being that not all Accredited Translators are also Partners (therefore no site), the second being that official release installation files are fully integrated in Core and can't be dependant  on Partners.

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by CirTap » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 am

Merci bien, J.M.,

well then: make it Translation Partners with an official site -- I see many in the help-system's xml file.
The localized Installer I used featured a link in the aforementioned step to the official translation partner's website, however that content had nothing to do with the migrator, nor was there a link to anything close.
That's why I asked to "urge" partners with a website (hosting the localized help-screens anyway) to include a translation of (in this case) Sam's tutorial there -- for user's sake, provided Sam permits translation, which I blatantly assume he does :-)

Explaining how the "official"(?) migrator component works is basically a subject of the Help Screens - from a user's perspective. It's nice to have a localized GUI to make it thru the installer, but that doesn't help much if this linked supplementary information is not translated as well -- should things don't work as intended :)
infograf768 wrote:... official release installation files are fully integrated in Core and can't be dependant  on Partners.
??? I don't see the connection? where's a dependency on partners?

Have fun,
CirTap
You can have programs written fast, well, and cheap, but you only get to pick 2 ...

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:06 pm

We have 2 kinds of teams working on Translation as Accredited Translators
Some are Partners and also will deliver on their site the help system.
Others are not partners and just translate the language packs, including the installation files provided in trunk. They do not have sites.
All installation files should link to a translation (partners or not partners).

These Installation files, except for the copyright headers where the Translator's name/team will be included, shall NOT contain any link to a non-joomla site. You will see that this is corrected for some languages when RC2 is released. (This concerns only the files when included in the official release. Custom packs may do as they wish.).

Therefore any link to the Migrator's tutorial in a non-English language has to be directed to the Joomla sites in a way or another, for the official release files.

Core is now discussing how and where.
The matter is taken care of.  :)

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Tool for migration to 1.5 -when?

Post by pvh123 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:29 pm

David,

I wonder if you could give some pointers.
I am building my 1.5 website and need to migrate user information from myASP website using MS Access db into the Joomla DB.
Otherwise I will be typing forever.

Are there any scripts, apart from payable solutions, which I can use to do the import? I do know about csv and excel etc., so I do know about to export from Access.

Rgrds
Pieter
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

walb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by walb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Simple Q. Is this a safe component?

I found in the folder plugins scripts without:
// no direct access
defined('_VALID_MOS') or die('Restricted access');

Plse, could someone confirm it: is safe or better make a localhost copy and work from there.

CirTap
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Tool for migration to 1.5 -when?

Post by CirTap » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:48 am

pvh123 wrote: Are there any scripts, apart from payable solutions, which I can use to do the import? I do know about csv and excel etc., so I do know about to export from Access.
Hi,

I'd recommend to get the ODBC connector for MySQL and "push" the content from Access to a linked (local) MySQL table via the ODBC connection.

I presume you're familiar with ODBC, how to create a connection, and how link to an external datasource in Access, otherwise let me know, and I'll try to walk you trough the process :) [via PM if you wish]

For a starter:
- create a query (or a set thereof) in Access to format and layout the data in a J! friendly and compliant way
- use this query as the data source for a 2nd Update-Query to feed the MySQL jos_user table you linked to via ODBC

If you need an .sql file, export the (local) MySQL table via phpMyAdmin or MySQLDumper (recommended) or MySQL Administrator or ....
and you're done.

Good luck and have fun,
CirTap

edit: typos
Last edited by CirTap on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:55 am

walb wrote: Simple Q. Is this a safe component?

// no direct access

Plse, could someone confirm it: is safe or better make a localhost copy and work from there.

Just a reminder that native replacement for that code is
// no direct access
defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );

ajohari
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ajohari » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi

I'm a student having to do a project using joomla.
I initially installed 1.0 and tested it on the university server for my assignment,
then removed all the files and dropped all the tables and installed 1.5.

Now all I get is a blank screen when I am expecting the installation process.
I've tried copying all the files over it andinto a different folder  eg  /joomla
and its still the same.

Can anyone give me suggestions how to fix this... I did the same on wamp on the local hard disk and that worked fine.

walb
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by walb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:59 pm

infograf768 wrote:
walb wrote: Simple Q. Is this a safe component?

// no direct access

Just a reminder that native replacement for that code is
// no direct access
defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );
Excuse me, JM. We're talking about a J1.0.x component .
Passiamato did an excellent job, but what the heck is a RTLE plugin?

Next , since I think this an important matter, It woould be better that this subject should be replaced with a  new sticky thread (no replies possible!). Replies could be possible in a  separate discussion thread

charlesyong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by charlesyong » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:06 pm

I would like to know whether there is a tool for migrate from  previous Joomla 1.5 version to the Joomla RC2
CFA Online Education:http://www.99cfa.com

kashifaltaf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kashifaltaf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:43 am

Hackwar wrote:
feldon27 wrote: I wish Joomla would gobble up JACL Plus project into the core and require existing mods and components to support it.
JACLplus is a really bad choice in that regard and it does not support what Joomla will need in the future. I'm working on ACL, so please be patient. Its a little more than plug that in there, and it works.
Can you please post more detail or a reference link in support of your statement "JACLplus is a really bad choice" because i used it in a big project and i am very concerned.
Regards,
Kashif Altaf
http://www.kashifaltaf.info

iason
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iason » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:31 pm

i get this when trying to migrate:

Error at the line 8: INSERT INTO jos_banner (`bid`,`cid`,`type`,`name`,`imptotal`,`impmade`,`clicks`,`imageurl`,`clickurl`,`date`,`showBanner`,`checked_out`,`checked_out_time`,`editor`,`custombannercode`,`alias`) VALUES ( '1','1','banner','OSM 1','0','1003','5','osmbanner1.png','http://www.opensourcematters.org','2004-07-07 15:31:29','1','0','0000-00-00 00:00:00','','','osm-1');

Query: INSERT INTO jos_banner (`bid`,`cid`,`type`,`name`,`imptotal`,`impmade`,`clicks`,`imageurl`,`clickurl`,`date`,`showBanner`,`checked_out`,`checked_out_time`,`editor`,`custombannercode`,`alias`) VALUES ( '1','1','banner','OSM 1','0','1003','5','osmbanner1.png','http://www.opensourcematters.org','2004-07-07 15:31:29','1','0','0000-00-00 00:00:00','','','osm-1');

MySQL: Table 'test.jos_banner' doesn't exist

Stopped on error

maguirre
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by maguirre » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi all.

I have been maked a Joomla 1.5 extensions that can migrate all the content data, user, sections, categories, etc from an old joomla 1.0 database.

Please test it and tell me if you have any problem. The url for this extension is http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Other users have an issue with mysql 4.0. I think that the function geterrormsg() dont work with mysql 4.0.X.

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: geterrormsg() in /public_html/administrator/components/com_mtwmigrator/models/config.php on line 100

Can you confirm that issue?

Take care
Matias Aguirre
Linux User #: 78193
http://www.matware.com.ar/

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”