I forget my Admin Password, How to reset/get it?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
askme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I forget my Admin Password, How to reset/get it?

Post by askme » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:32 am

Hi Everybody,
I have forget my admin Password, and I cannot log into my Joomal Admin section. Please let me know how to solve the problem. The worse, I think I did is I open the Joomla database with phpMyAdmin(Also Installed on the system), and delete or modify the user (Admin), by the way password is encrypted so I cannot know what I set before. By the way, now I try to insert dummy name there, but when I open and log in Admin area it is saying Admin is not set.

Please let me know how to solve this problem.

cordel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: I forget my Admin Password, How to reset/get it?

Post by cordel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:59 am

I think your best bet is to backup the database, and reinstall the CMS. Then create a new user with admin rights so that you have this user to login with after reloading your DB. Import your backup DB and login with the user you created then edit your admin account for the password you want and write it down and stick it in your safe  ;) Then you can delete the user you created if you would like or just remove the other admin account.

You could also set the password using phpmyadmin I'm sure but you have to give it the correct sytax to crypt the password. You should be able to find this on mysql's site.

There might be a better way but I'm just learning Joomla.

Regards,
Cordel
Last edited by cordel on Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlwillia6
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by charlwillia6 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:03 am

If you changed the MySQL databasse and you are getting problems saying that the 'Admin is not set,' then you may need to reinstall, as suggested in this forum:  http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,12443.0.html.

Before that, try going to the frontend and clicking on the 'Forgot Your Password," link.  If this is a Joomla install on your local server, that may not work.  You would have had to set up your SMTP settings or PHP mail settings too for this to work.  Good luck.

Charles
From the beginning...

charlwillia6
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by charlwillia6 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:03 am

Dang, you beat me Cordel!
From the beginning...

Haribo85
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Haribo85 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:03 am

Can you not doing something like updating the password row in phpmyadmin and inserting the name as an MD5 word?
Please visit our site for any Joomla! related hosting/design needs you may have. Also other IT Support including Web 2.0, Technology Reports, Email Hosting, Forum Hosting.

http://www.bitservices.co.uk

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:55 pm

██ LibreTraining

charlwillia6
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by charlwillia6 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:58 pm

Thanks Ken, that is great to know.  Now I don't have to misinform anymore...
From the beginning...

Dead Parrot
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dead Parrot » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:36 pm

To change your new user into a Super Admin do the following.

First of all find what where your entry is in the jos_table. Change the gid to 25 and the usertype to Super Administrator. You then need to mess around with the jos_core_acl_aro table now. Insert a new row into this table, the user field is your user id from the jos_user table and the name field is your name from jos_user. After you have inserted the new data into the jos_core_acl_aro table make a note of your aro_id that has just been created.

Now head to the jos_core_acl_groups_aro_map and insert a new row. The group_id should be set to 25 and the aro_id should be set to your aro_id that was created when you inserted the row into the jos_core_acl_aro.

You have now created yourself a Super Admin acoount.

Gary of Beeston
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Gary of Beeston » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:07 am

It's easy to be wise after the event, but... have two SuperAdmin users!
I do... and I'm sure someone will now tell me why this is a Bad Idea  :D

Gary

acepp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by acepp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:50 am

what is a super admin?
and why would you need to create one?

sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but this is the first time i've heard of a super admin for joomla.

charlwillia6
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by charlwillia6 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:33 am

persianari wrote: what is a super admin?

sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but this is the first time i've heard of a super admin for joomla.
I think he was just posting that to give you a way to get access to the backend if you lost your password.  If you create a super admin in the database, then you can get into the backend and have the rights to change the user password for your original administrator username.  Then you can delete the new super admin user once you are done and your access will be available again.  Just another way to gain access to the backend so you can fix the issue of a lost password
From the beginning...

acepp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by acepp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:00 am

ohh. okay i get it now.
thanks.

Gary of Beeston
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Gary of Beeston » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:41 pm

charlwillia6 wrote:
persianari wrote: what is a super admin?

I think he was just posting that to give you a way to get access to the backend if you lost your password.  If you create a super admin in the database, then you can get into the backend and have the rights to change the user password for your original administrator username.  Then you can delete the new super admin user once you are done and your access will be available again.  Just another way to gain access to the backend so you can fix the issue of a lost password
Thanks! Must explain myself better in future... what I'd actually meant was that having two (or more) Super Administrators, for example Admin and yourself, means that if something happens to one account you can still use the other to do back-end Admin functions on your site. I always do this on my sites, so that I can log in as myself (when posting, for example), but still do all the admin functions (since I am the administrator of the site).

Gary
Last edited by Gary of Beeston on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ChrisJay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:16 pm

I recently upgraded to release 1.0.13 and lost my password / access rights not just for myself as Super Admin, but also for the other two admin accounts. I have repeatedly reset my password but it keeps being reset to random values in the database. It's becoming really frustrating trying to access the site away from 'home'! Has anyone else experienced this?

I've also reset my passwords on the web host account just in case it's been hacked. I'm going to delete and recreate all the admin accounts from the back end to see if this resolves the problem, otherwise I shall be pulling out what little hair I have left!

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”