instal/index.php loads a blank page

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
xracer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

instal/index.php loads a blank page

Post by xracer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:35 am

Hello,

I am trying to install J! 1.5 and my problem is that after i uploaded the files to the host and try to link to the URL the index.php file in the installation folder shows a blank page.

I have tried with IE and FF. With IE tha page doesn't even forward to the install/index.php folder.

Since i do not like to just sit around waiting i went ahead and modified the configuration.php in the root folder. of course sice i do not know the name of all the tables mysql gave me a 116"i think mission tables" error code.

I have tested J! 1.5 in a localserver and i can install it with no problems. does anyone has a clue what could be the problem!!1

Thanks for your help

CoolAcid
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: instal/index.php loads a blank page

Post by CoolAcid » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:52 pm

I would do two things.

1. Give more details about what you are trying to setup on.
2. Make sure you are downloading the latest nightly build and reupload the files.

Cheers,
Jay
Thank you for calling the GOD department. What Now?
- My Blog: http://www.coolacid.net

eozoon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eozoon » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:59 am

I am having the same problem with the last two nightly builds and the recent SVNs (6787 and a couple back).

I'm trying to install them on an Apache server, and tried with both PHP 4.4.2 and 5.2.1
(it's a dreamhost shared hosting account, you might know more about their server spec than I do)
Clean installs (removed the old folder, wget the nightly file / uploaded the zipped svn folder and then unzip.)

When I go to the folder in FireFox, I get forwarded to installation/index.php which shows a blank screen.
With IE, I get a 500 Internal server error without being forwarded, entered the installation/index.php bit myself and still get the same error message.
I don't see any relevant message in the server error log.

Nightly builts as of 7-Mar-2007 installed just fine, I can't remember if I tried the 8th's, but the ones for 9th and 10th have this same installation problem.

Thanks
Last edited by eozoon on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

alphasupremicus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alphasupremicus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 am

eozoon wrote: I am having the same problem with the last two nightly builds and the recent SVNs (6787 and a couple back).

I'm trying to install them on an Apache server, and tried with both PHP 4.4.2 and 5.2.1
(it's a dreamhost shared hosting account, you might know more about their server spec than I do)
Clean installs (removed the old folder, wget the nightly file / uploaded the zipped svn folder and then unzip.)

When I go to the folder in FireFox, I get forwarded to installation/index.php which shows a blank screen.
With IE, I get a 500 Internal server error without being forwarded, entered the installation/index.php bit myself and still get the same error message.
I'm having exactly the same error. I grabbed the latest nightly build (the 10th) and on a machine that's never seen Joomla before, I unpacked the tar.gz file and browse the home page (i.e. http://localhost since I installed it in my root of Apache) and it redirects to the installation/index.php page and gives blank screen.

So I've turned on all the php error logging in php.ini, restart Apache, and I get essentially no more details on what is going on. Apache access.log reports an HTTP response of 500 from the server when that installation index page is fetched. I have MySQL 4.1.11, Apache 2.0.54, and PHP 4.3.10-19 installed in a brand new Debian Sarge O/S running kernel 2.6.14.3.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this more? All the files in my www root are owned by www-data which is the account Apache2 runs under so I don't have permissions issues that I'm aware of.

alphasupremicus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alphasupremicus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 am

I just figured out if I rolled back my Joomla code using SVN to revision 6783 then this problem goes away and I can run the installation script just fine. If I update to revision 6784 then it breaks as described in this post. Should I submit this in the Q&T forum?
alphasupremicus wrote:
eozoon wrote: I am having the same problem with the last two nightly builds and the recent SVNs (6787 and a couple back).

I'm having exactly the same error. I grabbed the latest nightly build (the 10th) and on a machine that's never seen Joomla before, I unpacked the tar.gz file and browse the home page (i.e. http://localhost since I installed it in my root of Apache) and it redirects to the installation/index.php page and gives blank screen.

So I've turned on all the php error logging in php.ini, restart Apache, and I get essentially no more details on what is going on. Apache access.log reports an HTTP response of 500 from the server when that installation index page is fetched. I have MySQL 4.1.11, Apache 2.0.54, and PHP 4.3.10-19 installed in a brand new Debian Sarge O/S running kernel 2.6.14.3.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this more? All the files in my www root are owned by www-data which is the account Apache2 runs under so I don't have permissions issues that I'm aware of.

typqxq
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by typqxq » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:24 am

I have the same problem! :(

Recives blank page in Firefox and in IE7.

esuvs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esuvs » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:56 am

Hi guys, I doesn't work for me either - same problem as described above with the blank page under FireFox and the error under IE.

I've put a phpinfo file in my webspace so you can see my settings:

http://thermite.sourceforge.net/

forestcall
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by forestcall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi-

I am experiencing the same thing-

I have 500+ other Joomla 1.12 (Joomla 1.05 -1.12) sites running on this server with no issues.

Centos with CPanel.

Here it is blankety blank :-)

http://www.synergyhive.net/main2/installation/index.php
-------------------------------------------
Community Site Building
http://www.medialabpro.com

xracer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xracer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:18 pm

alphasupremicus wrote: I just figured out if I rolled back my Joomla code using SVN to revision 6783 then this problem goes away and I can run the installation script just fine. If I update to revision 6784 then it breaks as described in this post. Should I submit this in the Q&T forum?
That is some great news,  Now could yu put it in plain English so illiterates like me woudl be able to replicated the procedure and be able to install it.

Thank you very much.

forestcall
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by forestcall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:15 pm

So wonder how we can pin-point the code change?
Community Site Building

alphasupremicus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alphasupremicus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:12 pm

xracer wrote:
alphasupremicus wrote: I just figured out if I rolled back my Joomla code using SVN to revision 6783 then this problem goes away and I can run the installation script just fine. If I update to revision 6784 then it breaks as described in this post. Should I submit this in the Q&T forum?
That is some great news,  Now could yu put it in plain English so illiterates like me woudl be able to replicated the procedure and be able to install it.

Thank you very much.
Ok -- so let me see how I can do this succinctly as possible:

1. Install subversion client for your operating system. I'm using Debian as my O/S so I just run apt-get install subversion and voila -- I have subversion installed. (don't you wished it was that easy on Windoze)

2. I deleted my former edition of the latest Joomla code that I downloaded manually and unpacked. It was located in my /var/www folder so I just removed it before I do the next step.

3. I changed to the directory where I wanted to grab the latest Joomla code from SVN. In this case, /var/www for me.

4. I ran the following SVN checkout command: svn co http://scm.joomla.org/svn/repos/joomla/trunk .

* Don't forget to include the final period as it means to checkout the latest Joomla code from this URL to "here" (the period means here)*

5. I confirmed that lo and behold the latest edition from SVN still has the same behavior, good news is now I can run SVN update commands to revert to a prior revision, as follows:

6. I then ran an svn -r 6783 up command while in the /var/www folder and it reverts my directory tree back to revision 6783. Give the installation a whirl and you will see it works.

So how did I figure out which revision is the one that broke it? Trial and error. I tried 6781, 6782, 6783, 6784 and then it broke. You can tell subversion using the update (or up) command to update your code to whatever revision you like and it just fixes up your tree to match the online SCM repository. If you exclude the -r option then it just grabs the latest and greatest.

Regards,

John

esuvs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esuvs » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Ok, to help people out I've uploaded a zip file with revision 6783 in it. I have no idea if it works yet so no promises.

Get it from: http://www.david-williams.info/Joomla_rev_6783.zip

However, I would say not to worry as the devs will probably fix this in the next few days. It clearly affects quite a few people, they have a description of the problem, and they know the revision at which it broke. They probably just need time...

Also, remember that if you actually need a working system now you *really should* use the stable version 1.0 rather than the 1.5 beta. If you do get my zip file installed I have *no idea* what happens if you want to upgrade. I'm not a Joomla dev, or even a web guy.

Oh, and I'm sorry the ZIP is 17mb. Presuambly there's a lot of stuff that can be stripped out but I don't know what...

Hope it helps sombody!

EDIT: Ok, that revision does indeed get around the blank screen problem. I had other problems afterwards (so I don't recommend actually using the zip) but hopefully this is useful information for the developers.
Last edited by esuvs on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forestcall
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by forestcall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Hopefuly we can pinpoint the bug-

Worth a look-see :-)

THanks!
Community Site Building

alphasupremicus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alphasupremicus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:13 pm

forestcall wrote:
Hopefuly we can pinpoint the bug-

Worth a look-see :-)

THanks!
This problem is being tracked in the Dev forum too. Looks like the problem has been identified. Here's a link to the other thread: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic ... icseen#new

Cheers,

John

xracer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xracer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 pm

I can't believe I was part of finding an issue AND reporting it!!!

I Feel So Proud OF Myself!!!!!!! :)

about uploading the site as a live site, I am messing around with stuff so i am just testing however i had always liked Joomla but never tried it.

Well I just hope now taht the issue is resolved. as well as the template manager in 1.5 always gives me an error.

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tcp » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:11 am

Please see the following Q&A topic.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... n.html#new

tcp
Your solution for a single-page checkout on any website.
http://moolah-ecommerce.com

gunther
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gunther » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:25 am

Trying to install SVN 6943 (13-Mar-07) from scratch, but when I open the installer using http://mysite/index.php I get the following error:
Fatal error: render(): Failed opening required '....../mypath/installation/installer/installer.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in ....../mypath/installation/includes/application.php on line 77

Seems that the installer.php is now in the ./libraries/joomla/installer/ directory and I cannot find any path settings for this directory.

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tcp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:42 am

Some of the files from the old SVN tree didn't make it into to the new tree .  Sorry.

Fixed in rev 6948.

tcp

gunther
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gunther » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks! Guess will wait for the next nightly build.

eozoon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eozoon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 am

Not sure if this is related.
I just download and installed svn 6788, the got through the installation perfectly, and the admin page works, however the frontend site now shows some error message(s) depending on which version of PHP I use.

PHP 4.4.2:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/-path-to-the-joomla-folder-/libraries/joomla/application/application.php on line 478

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): 45 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/-path-to-the-joomla-folder-/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 111

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): 45 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/-path-to-the-joomla-folder-/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php on line 111

And the following message when using PHP 5.2.1

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Call to a member function getParam() on a non-object in /home/-path-to-the-joomla-folder-/libraries/joomla/application/application.php on line 478
Clean install, new mysql db, didn't touch any setting after installing, tried installing with and without importing the sample data during installation. Apache under Debian.

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tcp » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 pm

eozoon wrote: Not sure if this is related.
I just download and installed svn 6788, the got through the installation perfectly, and the admin page works, however the frontend site now shows some error message(s) depending on which version of PHP I use.
I don't believe this is related, but you should report these errors in the Q&A forum.

tcp

p9939068
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by p9939068 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:29 pm

Cool, i read that it's fixed, but i still get the same error from the latest build.
Last edited by p9939068 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Making social sites functional: http://www.simbunch.com/
http://twitter.com/simbunch

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 pm

don't crosspost.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

pvh123
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by pvh123 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Have you tried the same test with the Legacy plugin installed? I did have the same error when playing around with a template that was before 1.5 and legacy stuff in it.

Pieter
Note: Sending me private messages for personal support, without this been requested, would lead to ignoring any of your posts in future!

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”