IMHO, YOU did bad.
Joomla! 1.5 isn't stable, and it is stated EVERYWHERE that it should not be used for production or live websites.
Are you serious? This is the attitude presented to Joomla users? Yes, for sure, do not use a pre-release version of software for a live site, that is always good advice. But that's not what achim71 did. His site isn't live yet; he's merely been working with the 1.5 code base since that was planned to be released in fall 2007. He never planned to go live with the site in pre-stable version. He saw the planned release date for the final version listed as September 2007, and worked with that. I think that's pretty reasonable. He was creating a brand new web site to launch in late 2007; why shouldn't he have gone with Joomla 1.5, the newest version, that was supposed to be ready by then?
Now it's mid October, and the release date is TBA, and when anyone asks about it or complains about it in the forums, from what I've seen, they're told that they are being unreasonable for expecting an answer to that question since this is an open source project with unpaid developers with other jobs. We all understand the nature of the project, but why is a general time line too much to ask for, especially when there had apparently been an approximated final version release date of September given to the public? We all understand that deadlines sometimes have to get pushed back. But Joomla is a CMS system that is widely used, including in commercial environments. I think it's irresponsible to not have some sort of timeline set up, and to shrug off questions about its status.
And if not a timeline with dates, at least stick to the roadmap. Since when is there an RC4? The number of RCs keeps changing, and this has been really frustrating, as I, too, am working on a site using version 1.5 that needs to go live at the end of this calendar year. There were not this many RCs planned in the roadmap when we started this project, which was one thing we based our timeline on, and now we are too far along into development to use version 1.0, nor do we want to anyway.
There were recent changes in code to improve memory usage and the release is delayed as all features have again to be tested with these changes.
Any idea how much of a delay we can expect this to cause? I understand it would be an estimation only.