Using Different Templates on Different Pages

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! 1.0.x templates here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
anton123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Using Different Templates on Different Pages

Post by anton123 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi,

I am looking to use a few different templates on one Joomla site. I want to use the same images for the body layout, but different flash files for the header to emphasize what each page is about. Is there a way to do this with Joomla! aside from a header rotator?

Thanks!

nunomsh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Using Different Templates on Different Pages

Post by nunomsh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:38 am

Use the assign option. Create diferent templates, using diferent names, but the only diference will be the flash. The set one to default and assign each template to content of the menu. Template one-->News, template Two-->Services, etc...This way you'll get diferent templates, for each topic you selected

founder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by founder » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:57 am

And what does that mean?

youngnex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by youngnex » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 pm

In order to achieve this you'll have to create different templates...

For a novice it isnt a good idea to use a premium template, most likely its all CSS and PHP.... What ive done is, create my own template with the JTK.... I dont even use the JTK... you just need the correct php information on the top and thats it...

after you've install your template and its the default for lets say your homepage, then go ahead in your favorite FTP program and copy that whole template folder to your computer..... Go to the XML and change the template name so when you change this new template for whatever page want, it wont have the same Template name then the one you already have installed.

And whats it.... Then go to Site Templates (Jooma 1.0) and click on Assign to page. Remember you have to add a menu link first be4 you can assign it to a page.

So, its quite simple, make a Content Page first... then make a Menu for it, then after you've already made the template for that Content Page you've created, assign the template to it. It's quite simple. It'll help you out. Message me if anything!

founder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by founder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm J1.5.8
I have developed 3 templates on my own, #0- for Home, #1- for logins and registrations, and #2- for everything else.
Home is set to default, logins/registration is assigned only to the login/registration menu items, the last is assigned to everything else.
However, clicking on the menu item in the home page for "Also" brings up the login/registration template (the #1 template, not the #2 template).
I've double checked the assignments, I've logged out and back in, I've closed the browsers and reopened them .. nada.

founder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by founder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 pm

sorry, mixed up the last two ... should be #2 for logins and registrations, and #1 for everything else (ie, the main template for the site)

founder
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by founder » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 am

here is the answer, and it is based on the fact that there are two different id's for what (if you are careless) appear to be the same thing: one is the id for the article itself, the other is for the menu item which calls up that article.

the linking reference must contain both:
/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=58

the second id is for the menu item (my mistake was that I originally had 53 in both)

jefstrick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jefstrick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 pm

What if your wanting to change the template for the whole page (and not just the content item)? So let's say you have a nav menu called "about me" and any page you under this menu would look completely different because it is using a completely different template. Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks!

trogladyte
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by trogladyte » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 pm

From the Joomla! documentation here... http://docs.joomla.org/Giving_the_Front ... ther_pages ... just scroll down the page a bit.

How do I assign a template to a specific page?

In Joomla! there is a default template, but you can assign other templates to specific "pages" that are defined by menu links.

To assign a template to a page, you must first make sure that there is a direct menu link to the page.

* Go to Site>>Template Manager>>Site Templates
* Select the template you wish to assign.
* Click on the assign icon.
* On the right, there will be a list with all of the possible pages the template can be assigned to. Select one or more pages and save.

* Go to Extensions>>Template Manager
* Select the Template and click the edit icon (or click the template name)
* In the left column, change "None" to "Select from List."
* Select the links you want to apply the template to.
* Save

Note that you cannot assign the default template to individual pages.
Ian Shere - Phoenix Website Design & Hosting
http://www.citruskiwi.com
Certified Flight Instructor http://www.flygoodyear.com

Dayaan2010
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dayaan2010 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:59 am

Thank you very much, it works :)

anciwasim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by anciwasim » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:46 am

Hello Please help me i have same problem but a little bit different

What i want to do is just use two template for my website :

1. first for home page
2. second for article display.

i have downloaded one joomla default template and make set as default and modify template and created many position for setting module.

http://news.lemosys.com/index.php this one.

and another template i have assigned for other menu itmes.
http://news.lemosys.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=57

This one.

But my problem is, I have installed module which mod_sectionflashnews that will display article in political news in my home page right top.
when i am clicking the link to view article its directing me again to home page template while i need another template.. i am not understanding whats happing please help me.

While the other module , see top scroller breaking news is working fine.. i have checked the both link but it seems ok.

Can u please tell me the reason.
Sorry for my bad english :)

nikhil_bhise
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nikhil_bhise » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 am

I want sections in the template page should be dynamic on various conditions.
For e.g. for one page , i want 4 sections and for another one only 2 sections like that.
So can anybody tell me how to do that???
Background image and logo will remain same for all pages.

please help me...

thanks in advance...

MrsCAshton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MrsCAshton » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:08 am

For the different number of menus and sections on each page, go to the Module extension and pick your menu. You will have had to do this to show your menus on the page anyway

Then go to menu assignment, it'll normally say show on all pages. Pick the Only on the pages selected option

Then you'll see a list of your menus. Use the check box to select which pages you want to see them on and then click save

Return to “Templates & CSS - 1.0.x”