The Joomla! Forum ™



Forum rules


Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:51 pm
Posts: 45
Hi, the requirement given to me by my superiors was to have a site that had a login functionality, but yet, users are only allowed to have an account when they are confirmed to be members.

So, how is this done? Basically, my organisation has several heads, which are in charge of clusters of members.

They were supposed to submit details of all the members to me to manually input into the site's database through the user manager function.

Their username is preset to their unique email address, and a default password is given to them, where they can change upon login.

But, to have this system in place, i cannot have visitors creating accounts on the fly without my knowledge, using the create account feature.

Is there a way to disable the create account feature in the login module?

Or, is there another login module out there that disables it?

Regards,
Isaac. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:51 pm
Posts: 45
SOLVED!

As i was exploring my administration functions, i realised that i could disable this setting in the global configuration settings.

Regards,
Isaac.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:42 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 21
For those of you that could use a little more information, these are the steps to remove the Create an Account link which is part of the Login module.

1) Goto Global Configuration
2) Click the System link
3) Under User Settings, look for Allow User Registration.
4) Select No
5) Click Save

When you go back to your site, you will see that the link no longer appears. Thanks a lot for your help, c0nfus3ds0ul!

Rob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:15 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 am
Posts: 8
thanks a ton Rob.

Cheers,
Kaavs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:12 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 108
Is there a way to disable the create an account link in the LOGIN module without disabling the global registration?

I ask this because the Create an Account link in the login module points to the Joomla registration, but I have JomSocial installed also and I need every user to register through the Jomsocial and fill out all the necessary profile information.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:43 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 am
Posts: 8
Former wrote:
Is there a way to disable the create an account link in the LOGIN module without disabling the global registration?

I ask this because the Create an Account link in the login module points to the Joomla registration, but I have JomSocial installed also and I need every user to register through the Jomsocial and fill out all the necessary profile information.


You could disable Joomla Registrationfirstly, http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ation/1236

And use JoomSocial registration. (Im not sure if Joomsocial has a default registration module).

If it doesn't you could use a customized Login Module like YooLogin Module, http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ation/4421


Hope this helps ;)

Cheers,
Kaavs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:50 pm 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 108
Kaavs, thanks for the reply. When I disable the Joomla registration, the Jomsocial registration gets disabled as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:04 pm
Posts: 120
It's a good things that I searched and came upon this thread, hence I didn't have to make a similar post.

Thanks guys.

_________________
Fashions http://www.fashionsjamaica.com/


Real Estate http://www.realjamaicaestate.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:29 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:34 pm
Posts: 38
??? I disabled the registration as indicated above but it still appears. Can someone advise how I can remove it - it must be another module that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 am 
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:28 pm
Posts: 55
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK
depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Goto: Modules-> Mod_Login-> tmpl -> default.php

Then remove the section:

Code:
      
<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>

_________________
http://getfirebug.com/ Inspect HTML and modify style and layout in real-time - Get FireBug


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:01 pm
Posts: 10
Location: Dubai UAE
1) Goto Global Configuration
2) Click the System link
3) Under User Settings, look for Allow User Registration.
4) Select No
5) Click Save


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:11 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 pm
Posts: 2
robwm wrote:
For those of you that could use a little more information, these are the steps to remove the Create an Account link which is part of the Login module.

1) Goto Global Configuration
2) Click the System link
3) Under User Settings, look for Allow User Registration.
4) Select No
5) Click Save

When you go back to your site, you will see that the link no longer appears. Thanks a lot for your help, c0nfus3ds0ul!

Rob


Thanks for this!



By the way, how can I do this?

I want new users to be able to register but I don't want them to be able to automatically validate and activate their account. I want to have control to which account I activate.

Thanks in advance,

caloocan6th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 5
leemiller wrote:
depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Goto: Modules-> Mod_Login-> tmpl -> default.php

Then remove the section:

Code:
      
<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>


Hi Lee,

I tried this, but the module still shows the link. If I rename the mod_login folder, it doesn't load the login module ( as expected ) , but changing any code in the default.php file doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I having a DFU moment :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:50 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 5
TikTok wrote:
leemiller wrote:
depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Goto: Modules-> Mod_Login-> tmpl -> default.php

Then remove the section:

Code:
      
<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>


Hi Lee,

I tried this, but the module still shows the link. If I rename the mod_login folder, it doesn't load the login module ( as expected ) , but changing any code in the default.php file doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I having a DFU moment :)




Hi again,

All sorted, I fixed the problem using a template override :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:52 pm
Posts: 18
TikTok can you explain what you did please? I'm trying to hide Register text :)

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 am
Posts: 7
Yes, please post what steps you took. These forums become useless when the solution is not listed. It's just a lot of dead ends with no help, answers or steps to solve the issue. Please post your steps so you can help others having the same problem. :-\


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:39 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 am
Posts: 10
leemiller wrote:
depends on how new users are able to register. If you're using a module then try removing the registration link.

Goto: Modules-> Mod_Login-> tmpl -> default.php

Then remove the section:

Code:
      
<li>
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&task=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>


Thanks a lot mate!

dalanam wrote:
Yes, please post what steps you took. These forums become useless when the solution is not listed. It's just a lot of dead ends with no help, answers or steps to solve the issue. Please post your steps so you can help others having the same problem. :-\


The steps are you go to the file that is mentioned above and what i did is i left the above section with comments. Hence:

Code:
<!--<li>/*
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&view=register' ); ?>">
<?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
</li>
<?php endif; ?>
*/ -->


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:53 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 am
Posts: 7
That step actually did not work for me - well, not by itself at least.

The reason why it would not work for me is because there was a module in the template that was overriding the mod_login under modules.

Once that entire module was removed, I was able to link the "Create an Account" to my Chronoforms registration form and/or remove the link.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:06 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:00 pm
Posts: 4
You can easily disable "create account" on front end in joomla 1.7 by doing the following:

1. Login to joomla 1.7 backend
2. Go to users and click user manager
3. click the option tab on the top right
4. go to allow user registration and select NO
5. save and close

you are done


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:49 am
Posts: 7
That only works if you want to disable it COMPLETELY. I needed it functioning but not visible because if you disable it then the Chronoforms form I created to serve as the registration would not work. Regardless, I got it working.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:19 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 pm
Posts: 92
Location: Huntington, Vermont
ARRRRRGGGGG! HELP!

I have a site using Joomla 1.5.25 and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I unpublished, and even went so far as to delete the modules-->mod_login from my site (after backing it up of course) and the thing is still showing. My reason for doing this is because I noticed when I want to remove the "Register" text from the page, it still showed after following the instructions above.

Can someone take a peek at it?

http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/index.php

Below the fold, on the right, is a module in the user8 position that says, "Wholesaler Login" - click that and you'll see what I mean.

The modules-->mod_login folder is not there on the server! And I double checked the templates folder, and there are no overrides in there!!!

Thanks for any quick help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 am
Posts: 10
willkey wrote:
ARRRRRGGGGG! HELP!

I have a site using Joomla 1.5.25 and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I unpublished, and even went so far as to delete the modules-->mod_login from my site (after backing it up of course) and the thing is still showing. My reason for doing this is because I noticed when I want to remove the "Register" text from the page, it still showed after following the instructions above.

Can someone take a peek at it?

http://www.canusgoatsmilk.com/index.php

Below the fold, on the right, is a module in the user8 position that says, "Wholesaler Login" - click that and you'll see what I mean.

The modules-->mod_login folder is not there on the server! And I double checked the templates folder, and there are no overrides in there!!!

Thanks for any quick help!


Hey mate,

you edited the wrong mod. The one you need to edit is at :

components/com_user/views/login/tmpl/default_login.php.

find the following code:

Code:
<!--<li>
      <a href="<?php echo JRoute::_( 'index.php?option=com_user&view=register' ); ?>">
         <?php echo JText::_('REGISTER'); ?></a>
   </li>--!>


and make the comments as i did.

Peace.

P.S. Which slider do you use there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 pm
Posts: 92
Location: Huntington, Vermont
i love you thank you!!! i thought i was going nuts!

which slider are you talking about? the home page slideshow? i think it's a JoomlArt one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:07 am
Posts: 105
Location: Dominican Republic
This helped me a lot.

Great post!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2
I want the create and account to be in the login module, but I am wondering if there is any way to have it hidden so when there is a valid user account needed I can just send them an email with the link to the create an account page, is this possible?

Also when you talk about editing components/com_user/views/login/tmpl/default_login.php will this not be overwritten when there is a new Joomla update?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 pm
Posts: 1
hmm I'm trying to remove the register link also, but I couldn't follow steps above, btw I'm using joomla 2.5.9, would that make any difference?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:47 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 am
Posts: 1
dalanam wrote:
That step actually did not work for me - well, not by itself at least.

The reason why it would not work for me is because there was a module in the template that was overriding the mod_login under modules.

Once that entire module was removed, I was able to link the "Create an Account" to my Chronoforms registration form and/or remove the link.

Hi Dalanam,

Have you solved the above problem? I have the same trouble here. :(

Regards,
K


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:26 pm
Posts: 2
indra_jaya89 wrote:
hmm I'm trying to remove the register link also, but I couldn't follow steps above, btw I'm using joomla 2.5.9, would that make any difference?


Navigate to Users User Manager then click on User Manager. Once in User Manager Screen, click on 'Options' Toolbar button to show the pop up window, as in image above. Click to fill bubble next to Allow user registration, then click save.
More information here: http://docs.joomla.org/Disabling_user_registration


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group