The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:58 pm 
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Goal of alpha 2 is about having a feature complete framework for 3P testing. The bugs inside any of the core component are less important in this stage.

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

Last edited by Jinx on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 pm 
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

As noted by Johan, Alpha2 when publicly released is NOT for general consumption and NOT for use on `live` production sites.

It is merely a 'technology release' intended to showcase the changes made in 1.1 and to allow 3rd party developers time to factor in changes into their work.  It also marks the start of formal bug fixing work and the freezing of major work on the codebase.

Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm 
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

@jinxs & @stingrey,
Seeing the vast amounts of updates, I'm just wondering after upload of alpha2 what it will be after one week ( and +400 changes)? Alpha2 is no real status.
I do not envie Robink's position as a change manager. (I know what it is and is not desireable, because I had them in my staff).
Just my 2¢.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:41 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

I was actually wondering about this as well. With the current monstrous tempo of coding (which is really exciting), Alpha 2 will look totally different from SVN a week after alpha 2 hits the road. What is going to be the path between alpha 2 the first beta?

Have fun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:10 pm 
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

I agree guys. Let me try to elaborate on this one.

A. The development of 1.1 has been split into three distinct phases.

1. Alpha phase

Main focus : coding and refactoring

We implement the features outlined on the roadmap and perform the core refactoring. Community input is minimal and restricted to testing forums and S&G team input and discussion. The system can break for the new features we are implementing but care should be taken that other refactoring achieves 75%-90% backwards compatibility rate.

2. Beta phase

Main focus : Testing, documenting and finetuning

We move from pure development towards testing and documenating. Community input is very important and we increase our outwards communitcation towards 3P developers. Together we asses and solve breakages, improve preformance and finetune the API where needed.

3. Stable phase

Main focus : stabilisation, public relations etc

We bring our new release to the world. We wrap up, fix final bugs, write articles and promote the new release.

These three phases are also know as opening, mid-game and end-game among project managers. As u can see each phase has a different main focus, this goes from development, to documentation and testing towards public relations.

2. The move from alpha to beta phase

At some point we need to create a release and refocus attention and process. The alpha2 launch is a clear milestone that brings alot more then just the actual launch. As Tonie and Walb point out the Alpha 2 package will very soon be outdated. That's normal and actualy we shouldn't create a package at all. What does this this milestone exactly mean ?

A. on a code level

- We are now framework feature complete.
- Documentation effort on the API can start
- Third party backwards compatibility testing on the framework can start
- Core component refactoring and UI changes can start (using the framework)

B. on a communications level

- A developer portal will be launced
- IRC meeting will be held to inform and ask feedback from 3P devs
- Cross-working group coordination effort encreases

At this point it's not the actual release (the physical package) that counts, its the milestones and it's consequences on the development cycle. To solve the package problems we will try to bring nightly build on the developer portal, however SVN should still be the main access point for developer to follow up.

I hope this helps to clarify things ? Happy to answer other questions.

Johan

Last edited by Jinx on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 pm 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Just to jump in real quick and provide what I hope is an extra clarification.

There is a substantive difference between the framework being feature complete and the entire Joomla install being feature complete. 

The importance of the alpha stage has little bearing on the user "view" of the project.  This release will signify that the API, and ONLY the API is feature frozen.  This means that it is the earliest point where a third party developer can start developing on the new API and expect it to remain stable.  Does it mean all bugs are worked out of the API? no, though we hope there are few.  It simply means (for example) that if you want to set the title of a page... then you will from here on out call the same method to do it.
Code:
$document = & $mainframe->getDocument();
$document->setTitle($title);

This is significant for third party developers because they now can rest assured that if they use any of the API in their extensions, they will not have to rewrite them because we changed something.  Also, it signifies that we have added all the API functionality that we going to add for this release.  This lets the third party developers know that if it already exists, they can use it... we won't take it away... and if it is not there... they will have to write it themselves.

From the user "view" of the project, this release does not mean much because the user doesn't interact directly with the framework (API).  The user interacts indirectly with the framework via the core components.  The time between alpha2 and beta is what we have allotted for refactoring core components.  You can expect lots of commits and lots of changes as we progress through this stage.  One of our main goals for this release was to move as much core functionality as we could OUT of core components and into the API.  One example off the top of my head that I did just recently was move the user activation code OUT of com_registration and into the JUserHelper class.  What this means is that any component can now activate a user if necessary by calling one method in an API class instead of having to either rewrite the code or even worse, including the com_registration file in their extension.  By moving to a more framework(API) [drive] system, we are creating much more flexibility and possibility for third party developers.

Summary:

Alpha2 = Release targeted at 3rd party developers ... users can go back to their regularly scheduled programs
Beta    = Release targeted at the entire community ... everyone test please :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:33 am 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Thanks for those comments. Do you mind if I split those off later, and create a sticky/locked out of it? When Alpha 1 gets released, In know people will install it, and will start asking questions on the forum. These will give me a good reference point when telling them to go for stable.

Have fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:58 am 
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Thank you guys for these clarifications. I think it is important to know for the community what an alpha 2 means.
The goals are clear to me now.
It least I know now that means stability on the framework design and the dust around the API's is settling down.
That  bugs are there, I don't worry, since they can be solved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm 
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

This will be part of the announcement we will make on the main site around alpha 2. I will try to do a rewrite of this thread for the developer portal so u can easily refer to the text.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:31 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Have fun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:33 pm 
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Good stuff here.. should be translated :)
Ill wait untill announcement.

http://www.eyezberg.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:04 pm 
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Topic locked : Announcement can be found here : http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/39/63/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]