The Joomla! Forum ™



Forum rules


Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
I am a Joomla! newbie (sorry for that).

I have an administrator and a user (=Publisher). I have put this article on the front page and it shows. When I log in as user, I cannot edit the article. How can I make sure that a logged in editor can actually edit something? What am I doing worng?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
Hi gctwnl,

I hate to do this to you, but a quick search of the forums revealed many possibilities http://forum.joomla.org/results.php?cx=007628682600509520926%3Ahigrppcfurc&cof=FORID%3A9&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&q=edit+article+front-endt#1248.

One thing that I'd check is to be sure that your installation is the latest 1.5.14 and that your hosting company meets all of the recommended requirements http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html. I've had similar issues with everything working fine, except for one key piece of functionality, because the hosting company was running PHP 4.4 . This may or may not be the cause, but it's always good to be sure everything is up to date.

Let us know what you find and we'll help you solve this.

Best,

Matt

PS: Have you tried this in different browsers (i.e. FireFox and Internet Explorer)?

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:09 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
Hi gctwnl,

I hate to do this to you, but a quick search of the forums revealed many possibilities http://forum.joomla.org/results.php?cx=007628682600509520926%3Ahigrppcfurc&cof=FORID%3A9&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&q=edit+article+front-endt#1248.

One thing that I'd check is to be sure that your installation is the latest 1.5.14 and that your hosting company meets all of the recommended requirements http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html. I've had similar issues with everything working fine, except for one key piece of functionality, because the hosting company was running PHP 4.4 . This may or may not be the cause, but it's always good to be sure everything is up to date.

Let us know what you find and we'll help you solve this.

Best,

Matt

PS: Have you tried this in different browsers (i.e. FireFox and Internet Explorer)?

Thanks for replying.

I have tried with Firefox, but no change. I am using Mac OS X client and server (I am my own hosting company) and the Joomla site has been installed on Mac OS X 10.5.8 server, Joomla 10.5.14 reporting during the install that everything was fine. I have seen an overview somewhere of the system, but somehow I am unable to find it again.

The site was started from scratch. It now shows a frontpage with one article and a menu with only Home. Using JA_Purity as Template.

System Legacy has been turned on and then off again, as I wanted DocMan to work. But DOcMan does not work properly, RubberDoc does not install and JoomDoc installs, but I cannot find a way to add a link to a document in an article. So far, it has been pretty frustrating, this learning curve ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
What version of PHP are you running?

Matt

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:59 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
What version of PHP are you running?

Matt

According to Apple's notes of the last security update for 10.5.8 Server I am running PHP 5.2.10


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:46 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
Hi gctwnl,

I believe 5.2.10 should be fine. Having not run into this situation myself, its hard to say what the problem might be. I think your best bet will be to eliminate the possibilities.

First, lets eliminate any thing server-side. I'd try a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.14 on another domain or sub-domain. I would install the sample data and use the default template. Then, log in as Admin, create a Publisher account (Editor should work too), and then log in the front-end as that new user. If you can edit an article, we can safely say the problem is not stemming from the server.

If the fresh install works fine, we know this issue is specific with the website. You may then want to consider re-building the site. I know that it sounds like a huge undertaking, but you can do most of it very quickly by copying many of the database tables and copying over any modifications made to the template. Take it one step of a time, while testing the front-end editing capability each time.

Of course, be sure to search the forums and Google for this issue as well. Most issues have been experienced before and solutions generally can be found.

Try a fresh install and report back.

Best,

Matt

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Bratislava (Slovakia)
Hello, i have same problem, it doesnt work :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
Hello jablko,

jablko wrote:
Hello, i have same problem, it doesnt work :(


Can you be more specific? Try using this as a guide.

Thanks,

Matt

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:38 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
Hi gctwnl,

I believe 5.2.10 should be fine. Having not run into this situation myself, its hard to say what the problem might be. I think your best bet will be to eliminate the possibilities.

First, lets eliminate any thing server-side. I'd try a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.14 on another domain or sub-domain. I would install the sample data and use the default template. Then, log in as Admin, create a Publisher account (Editor should work too), and then log in the front-end as that new user. If you can edit an article, we can safely say the problem is not stemming from the server.

I did this earlier and it worked. But then I had all these articles and categories and I started over without installing the sample data so I could create my site.

I have been trying to get some sort of functionality installed that my editors may upload documents to the site and then refer to them in an article. I installed DocMan, had to turn on legacy, could not remove that (it did not work), etc., tried JoomDoc, had various problems with permissions, added other plugings I wanted to use later, etc. Probably it will not be possible to find the real reason why it doesn't work now, so the easiest is probably to start all over again.

But that will mean yet another dead site in MySQL. If I want to remove the old attempts for a site from the database, how can I do that?

And maybe you know a way to offer my editors simple options to upload (say) PDF files and link to them in their articles?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
I did this earlier and it worked. But then I had all these articles and categories and I started over without installing the sample data so I could create my site.


Is that when this problem started (Publisher cannot edit)?

gctwnl wrote:
But that will mean yet another dead site in MySQL. If I want to remove the old attempts for a site from the database, how can I do that?


You can just delete the database :)

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:39 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
You can just delete the database :)

Showing my ignorance here: is that just part of my site and is it automatically gone when I start over? I do not know much about MySQL. Or are these tables I need to remove via de MySQL management interface (whatever that is)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:43 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
Or are these tables I need to remove via de MySQL management interface (whatever that is)?


Yes, but you can just remove the entire database. This must be done manually, Joomla won't do it for you. Just make sure that you are ready to do this. Once it's gone, there is no getting it back. You might want to back it up and archive a copy, just in case.

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
gctwnl wrote:
Or are these tables I need to remove via de MySQL management interface (whatever that is)?


Yes, but you can just remove the entire database. This must be done manually, Joomla won't do it for you. Just make sure that you are ready to do this. Once it's gone, there is no getting it back. You might want to back it up and archive a copy, just in case.

I used the mysql interface to remove the databases, removed the contents of the site and made a fresh start (Note for Mac OS X Users, make sure you are sudo'd to user _www before you unzip Joomla in a site, this prevents hordes of permissions problems when installing plugings and extensions and more). I installed JCE and the Dutch language pack.
No, I have created a new site, added a user, a section, a category, an article and I can edit an article. The edit icon/button appears (sometimes?) before the article title, but so far so good.

For basic success, I now need only one thing: the ability for an editor to upload a file and link to it in the article he/she is editing.

JCE seems to be able to do that (file browser?) and the JCE pluging file browser is enabled, but I don't see a button for this function.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:56 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
JCE seems to be able to do that (file browser?) and the JCE pluging file browser is enabled, but I don't see a button for this function.


Something tells me that you may need to change the layout of the buttons within the JCE configuration. Maybe it's not part of the default layout for JCE.

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
gctwnl wrote:
JCE seems to be able to do that (file browser?) and the JCE pluging file browser is enabled, but I don't see a button for this function.


Something tells me that you may need to change the layout of the buttons within the JCE configuration. Maybe it's not part of the default layout for JCE.

I need to buy the JCE File Manager plugin for a $30 subscription fee, it seems. The File Browser seems to be something else. The parent association of the school has no money to spend for this so it would come from my pocket. I do not mind $30, but if I spend $30 for every bit I do not understand and then do not use, it will amount to serious money. If I was certain the commercial extension to the JCE was worth it, I would buy.

Something free that just offers me document upload and a link inside an article I am editing seems not to exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
Have you looked at http://extensions.joomla.org/? There many (most, in fact) free extensions there.

This one looks promising, although I have no experience with it.

Best,

Matt

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Last edited by betweenbrain on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm
Posts: 2
Location: Bratislava (Slovakia)
betweenbrain wrote:
Hello jablko,

jablko wrote:
Hello, i have same problem, it doesnt work :(


Can you be more specific? Try using this as a guide.

Thanks,

Matt

I fixed it, thx :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:01 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
jablko wrote:
I fixed it, thx :)


That's great! Could you post the solution for others to learn from?

Thanks!

Matt

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
Have you looked at http://extensions.joomla.org/? There many (most, in fact) free extensions there.

This one looks promising, although I have no experience with it.

Best,

Matt

Yes, I looked at many of them. This one looks indeed promising, but then when you dig into it you see that the forum discussions contains code patches so it will work with XML (and .docx) uploads. Code patches? I am not going there. I decided at taking the plunge and burning $30 and subscribed to the JCE extensions and I downloaded and installed File Manager.

A bit clunky but it works.

Now I need a decent template. Something nice, school-like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
I decided at taking the plunge and burning $30 and subscribed to the JCE extensions and I downloaded and installed File Manager.

FWIW, installing JCE is usually the second thing I do when installing Joomla for a client (first being changing the admin username). My clients tend to like it best, while it provides the advanced functionality it provides.

gctwnl wrote:
A bit clunky but it works.

How do you find it clunky? I'm always curious to hear what others think.

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:51 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
Examples (from the top of my head, I am not at my desk right now)

I create a new subdirectory, but when I click on that subdirectory and upload, the file ends up in the root dir and not the subdirectory. I have to edit (by hand) the text field at the top. To change download to a different directory, I need to go to administrator settings. Both not examples of direct manipulation. The file broser just did not behave like a nice browser in that way.

I also noticed for instance unexpected format changes when doing backspace (suddenly everything in front of it changes format).

Entering size display with a large list of options, but what do they mean? I tried a few, they all ended up looking the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:06 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
I create a new subdirectory, but when I click on that subdirectory and upload, the file ends up in the root dir and not the subdirectory.

Yes, I had that problem too. If I recall correctly, you need to navigate to the directory via the left-hand pane, not the middle one.

gctwnl wrote:
I also noticed for instance unexpected format changes when doing backspace (suddenly everything in front of it changes format).

I've never run in to that. I'll need to play with it.

gctwnl wrote:
Entering size display with a large list of options, but what do they mean?

Good question. Do you have a link to that statement?

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
betweenbrain wrote:
gctwnl wrote:
Entering size display with a large list of options, but what do they mean?

Good question. Do you have a link to that statement?

I was referring to the File Manager when you create a link. You can tell it to display size and date.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
gctwnl wrote:
I was referring to the File Manager when you create a link. You can tell it to display size and date.


Gotcha. That might be worth investigating. I've honestly not exhausted all of the functionality and features of JCE.

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:02 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 28
Forget this (edited out). The edit button is somewhere else than I expected.

I have put the site up (temporarily) at this domain.http://www.vanderlindenweb.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cannot edit article
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am
Posts: 800
Location: Connecticut, USA
Glad you got it working!

_________________
betweenbrain™ | http://www.betweenbrain.com
Construct Template Development Framework | http://construct-framework.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nesto1930 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group