Developing a complex web application using Joomla 1.5

For Joomla! 1.5 Coding related discussions, please use: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general
iamdanafaji
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Developing a complex web application using Joomla 1.5

Post by iamdanafaji » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:31 am

Hi,
I mostly work in C#. Few months ago I became familiar with joomla. I want to know from the joomla expert whether it is possible to develop a complex web application which will run on both intranet and internet. So far I worked on Human Resource Management system, Point of Sale system, Outdoor Patient Department system etc where I used c# and .Net 2005. So if I want to develop a system which I mentioned here using joomla ... is it possible to do that? I also want to know about the performance issue.

marcanuy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Developing a complex web application using Joomla 1.5

Post by marcanuy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:02 pm

It's possible, you can define users groups and depending on their profile show the content they may need with the proper extension/app loaded.
Performance depends on several issues, primarily the way the application has been programmed and server capabilities.

becyn
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by becyn » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:03 pm

iamdanafaji wrote:Hi,
I mostly work in C#. Few months ago I became familiar with joomla. I want to know from the joomla expert whether it is possible to develop a complex web application which will run on both intranet and internet. So far I worked on Human Resource Management system, Point of Sale system, Outdoor Patient Department system etc where I used c# and .Net 2005. So if I want to develop a system which I mentioned here using joomla ... is it possible to do that? I also want to know about the performance issue.
Joomla is written in PHP , html, with a sprinkling of javascript.
You will want to familiarize yourself with MVC format and Joomla component writing.
You can find some info on the joomla developers site and the wiki docs.
I have written an interactive service management system with joomla which is along the lines of what you want to do. Joomla is very flexible, but there is definitely a learning cure involved if you want to use the Joomla API methods correctly and to their full power.
In fact, I'm still learning!
Learn something new every day!

iamdanafaji
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by iamdanafaji » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:57 am

becyn wrote: I have written an interactive service management system with joomla which is along the lines of what you want to do. Joomla is very flexible, but there is definitely a learning cure involved if you want to use the Joomla API methods correctly and to their full power.
I just want to know whether I should use joomla or any other php framework like cakephp to develop a web application. Which will be more cost effective? ???

becyn
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by becyn » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:29 pm

iamdanafaji wrote:
becyn wrote: I have written an interactive service management system with joomla which is along the lines of what you want to do. Joomla is very flexible, but there is definitely a learning cure involved if you want to use the Joomla API methods correctly and to their full power.
I just want to know whether I should use joomla or any other php framework like cakephp to develop a web application. Which will be more cost effective? ???
Personally , I don't understand what cakePHP is supposed to do other than apply another layer of abstraction to PHP. Maybe you understand it better?
Joomla has database classes , templates, modules, plugins, and components, all ready to work for you.
One could conceivably make a "cookie cutter" site within minutes.
Learn something new every day!

marcanuy
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by marcanuy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:37 pm

The main difference between both is that Joomla is an application built on a custom framework. It's defined as a Content Management System and it's functionality can be extended in several ways. CakePHP is a php framework.

amoreno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by amoreno » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:13 pm

When I start programming i had this doubt, now i program everything, from the most simple to the most complex using joomla.
Obviously there is a curve of learning as becyn says, but from my point of view it worths !

Albert

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Coding”