The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I'm running Snow Leopard, OS X, which uses PHP 5.3.0. I installed the latest package, Joomla 1.5.15. When I go to Article Manager, I get error messages like this one:

Code:
Warning: strtotime() [function.strtotime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /Library/WebServer/Documents/joomlafive/libraries/joomla/utilities/date.php on line 56

Same likewise for User Manager, and a few other places. Wasn't this bug supposed to have been fixed as of 1.5.13??? What else should I do to fix this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:16 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

This is not a Joomla issue. This is a PHP change, not a Joomla change. PHP 5.3.0 needs the date.timezone ini entry setting properly in order to avoid the warning being sent out. Prior to PHP 5.3.0, the line existed in the PHP ini but was generally commented out. Let php know what your time zone is. You can edit your php.ini file and put in the following line:
Code:
date.timezone = "America/Anchorage"

You can find valid time zone strings at http://nl3.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php You should, of course, use the time zone you want, not necessarily "America/Anchorage". Depending on your setup you may need to restart your web services after making the change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:11 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Okay . . . I went into /private/etc/apache2/php.ini and modified this line to read:

date.timezone = "America/New_York"

Then, I shut down, and restarted Apache server. I'm still getting the timezone error messages. When I check phpInfo(), I'm getting no values for date.timezone. What else should I do?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

lolajl wrote:
Okay . . . I went into /private/etc/apache2/php.ini and modified this line to read:

date.timezone = "America/New_York"

Then, I shut down, and restarted Apache server. I'm still getting the timezone error messages. When I check phpInfo(), I'm getting no values for date.timezone. What else should I do?

Unfortunately, apache frequently has several php.ini floating around. Check the php information on the backend of your Joomla installation to see which one Joomla is accessing under the "Loaded Configuration File" item. Make sure that file is appropriately modified.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I am unfortunately dealing with the same issue and have not been able to resolve it. i changed the php.ini file accordingly to 'America/New_York', and that is definitely the loaded config. file on my backend...I am using XAMPP version 1.7.3 on Windows Vista. Here is the message i continue to receive, any help is greatly appreciated.

Warning: mktime() [function.mktime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for '-5.0/no DST' instead in C:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla150\libraries\joomla\utilities\date.php on line 117

AND

Warning: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for '-5.0/no DST' instead in C:\xampp\htdocs\Joomla150\libraries\joomla\utilities\date.php on line 250

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hi All,
I overcome such issue as follows;
1.Open date.php
2.Find the line
Code:
function __construct($date = 'now', $tzOffset = 0)
which is the function definition
3.At the very beginning of the function definition, insert the code
Code:
date_default_timezone_set ("yourTimeZone");

4.You can find the list of time zones by searching google. In my case the time zone was "Europe/Istanbul"

Regards
Ayzit Elif EKEN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:30 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ayzit wrote:
Hi All,
1.Open date.php
2.Find the line
Code:
function __construct($date = 'now', $tzOffset = 0)
which is the function definition
3.At the very beginning of the function definition, insert the code
Code:
date_default_timezone_set ("yourTimeZone");

4.You can find the list of time zones by searching google. In my case the time zone was "Europe/Istanbul"

Regards
Ayzit Elif EKEN

Can You please show me what your code looks like/ I am now getting an erro saying
Code:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/cfis7206/public_html/libraries/joomla/utilities/date.php on line 52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:21 am 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

ayzit wrote:
Hi All,
1.Open date.php
It is bad practice to change default code to solve issues which can be resolved in a simple way. By changing code you will need to document very well what has been changed since any upgrade will remove the code changes and it has to redone again. Also for non coders changing code results in errors as you can see above by none experienced users

Leo 8)

-- Member Joomla Bug Squad --

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm 
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

So what's the simple way?

I have pending articles and I tried adding the time zone to the php.ini but that didn't solve it for me. I have 404's everywhere and my articles are all pending. I am not upgrading my server upgraded to a new php 5.3.10 and I am on 1.5.25

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:10 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Thank you dhuelsmann!!! The simple edit to the php.ini worked for me.