Extension Development Better Practices: JED edition
(short: EDBP: Jed)What?
- This is a personal initiative to collect some insights aimed to Joomla Extensions Developers that want to list their extensions at JED (Joomla Extension Directory).
- It should be a simple doc, just a starting point for new DEVs and a quick reference for established Joomla Extension Developers
- This are not rules, this is to collect and share some good ideas and practices from the community so everyone can use them if they want.
See it as a "Good operating practice", a "better practices list" and not just a "Best practice closed doc" ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_practice
- This is not a book project as there are already books on some of the issues with more capable authors: http://www.alledia.com/books/ Challenge to all
I'm asking that people improve this idea with comments and examples.
I would also like to see additional versions for "Extension Developers better practices":
- Technical edition (coding practices, security and so on)
- Business edition (selling practices, commercial plans)
- Support edition (clients and costumers support)Publishing plan:
I start it here at JED forum, in draft mode, to collect some insights and comments from you all. Then it will be published at JoomlaDocs where everyone can improve the text.
I know I could just start a JoomlaDocs pages but I think people can give more contributes at this forum as it is more adequate to comments.
In the end I hope some users will want to be more involved in the JoomlaDocs version, as I’m very bad in English.Your turn:
Do you have a nice description text on your JED entry page or know how to do it?
Send us some insights to help other DEVs to enhance their descriptions at JED.
You can also improve this text with comments so later it can be published at JoomlaDocsChapters/Topics to be created
- Will post links to each page when available
- Links to reference pages are included just to avoid double work later
-----------------Extension Development Better Practices: JED Edition
2- Extension name
(reference page: http://docs.joomla.org/Extensions_name
3- Choose a License
(reference page: http://docs.joomla.org/Extensions_GPL_notices
4- Commercial or non-commercial?
5- Basic/Pro versions
6- Code Files
(reference page: Components:xml installfile http://docs.joomla.org/Components:xml_installfile
7- Extension Packing
(reference page: - http://docs.joomla.org/Extensions_packing
8- Extension Distribution
(reference page: http://docs.joomla.org/Extensions_distribution 9- JED entry page: description text - viewtopic.php?f=262&t=530171
10- JED entry page: links and pictures
Post suggestions for topics to be created or create your own topics!Note to self - Useful Joomla links
Joomla! Developer Site http://developer.joomla.org/
JED FAQ - http://docs.joomla.org/Category:JED
Developer Manual (old version) - http://help.joomla.org/content/section/12/125/ Others Best Practices
Web Browser Extensions - Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki - http://www.libsuccess.org/index.php?tit ... Extensions
Better practices for Magento extensions - Yireo - http://www.yireo.com/blog/general-news/ ... extensions
DotNetNuke Module/ Extension Development Best Practices - http://www.iowacomputergurus.com/blog/6 ... tices.aspx
Extensions development - OpenOffice.org Wiki - http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... evelopment
Tutorials: Online translation for Joomla core and extensions: https://sites.google.com/site/transjoomla
- Portuguese Joomla Community / Joomla pt-PT Translation Team