The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Please use the mailing list here: http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-general rather than this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 am 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Code:
$user =& JFactory::getUser();
$user_type = $user->get('usertype');

this used to be a nice way to get the users' usergroup. This is depricated in 1.6.

What has it been replaced by?

And how does that work when users can be assigned to more then one usergroup?

Admin-Menu-Manager, Access-Manager, Redirect-on-Login, Frontend-User-Access, Admin-User-Access, Pages-and-Items, module Admin-Messages, module Logged-in-Users, plugin load module in article, plugin pure css tooltip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

As a rather new user I might be getting ahead of myelf trying to answer this question. But I took your question and jumped into the code. Hope this helps.

The attribute 'usergroup' appears to have been replaced by an n-to-n mapping table: jos_user_usergroup_map. This must have been done to support multiple usergroups per user. So an array is to be expected.

I can find two method of interest to you:
  • http://docs.joomla.org/API16:JAccess/getGroupsByUser
  • http://docs.joomla.org/API16:JUserHelper/getUserGroups

The first gives the option to include inherited user groups. JAccess also defines getUsersByGroup, by the way. It probably is easy for you to check whether the array contains a certain group, or have all sorts of other fun with it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:11 pm 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

thank you!

(how did you find that stuff? If I search for 'usergroup' in docs.joomla.org I don't find it.)

Code:
jimport( 'joomla.access.access' );
$groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser(43);
print_r($groups);

returns:
Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 )
which is an array of all usergroup id's including those which are not in the usergroup_map table (the usergroups which checkbox go disabled in the user-manager, example: public)

Code:
jimport( 'joomla.user.helper' );
$groups = JUserHelper::getUserGroups(43);
print_r($groups);

returns:
Array ( [2] => Registered )
which is an array of the actual usergoup names the user is connected to, without the 'hidden' groups.

i tried to deduct a slimmer version, like $user_type = $user->get('usertype'); in 1.5
Code:
$groups = isset($user->groups) ? $user->groups : array();
print_r($groups);

Admin-Menu-Manager, Access-Manager, Redirect-on-Login, Frontend-User-Access, Admin-User-Access, Pages-and-Items, module Admin-Messages, module Logged-in-Users, plugin load module in article, plugin pure css tooltip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

carsten888 wrote:
Code:
$groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser(43);
print_r($groups);

returns:
Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 2 )
which is an array of all usergroup id's including those which are not in the usergroup_map table (the usergroups which checkbox go disabled in the user-manager, example: public)

You mean that the array holds the values 1 and 2?
Well, since the function is declared as "static getGroupsByUser($userId, $recursive=true)", I guess that "JAccess::getGroupsByUser(43);" gives the recursive result. And checking the jos_usergroups table (in PHPMyAdmin) reveals that 1 is parent of 2, and 0 is parent of 1 (but evidently, 0 is not returned). Unless you hacked you usergroups table, it should hold 8 values, so your result is not all values. So you might try
Code:
$groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser(43, false);
print_r($groups);

This should return the same result as
Code:
$groups = JUserHelper::getUserGroups(43);
print_r($groups);

Please note that I haven't tried any of this myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 am 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

I tested this and confirm that when adding false it returns only the most valid usergroups
Code:
JAccess::getGroupsByUser(43, false);

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

PHP nube here. . . Sorry.

When I use the code above namely:

Code:
$groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser($Joomla_userId, false);
print_r($groups);

"print_r" seems to give output like: Array ( [0] => 8 )

When I try "echo $groups;" it simply says Array

I need to know how to grab just the "8" above so that I can output content based on a user's group. So for example, I would like Admins to see one version, Editor's to see another version, Author's another, and Guests to see a different version of the page content.

How do I access the user's group number or name to tell my code how to output different things.

I appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks,
Dan Yager
Manual Signature Removed

It is not the critic who counts ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena ... so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. –Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by imanickam on Thu May 24, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manual Signature Removed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 pm 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

A user could be in one or more groups, thats why always an array is returned, even thou there is only one value in it.

So depending on how you check.
Show if users is assigned to at least one particular group
Code:
//only visible for super-users (= group 8)
if(in_array(8, $groups)){
   echo 'only visible for super-users';
}

show if user is assigned to 2 particular groups
Code:
if(in_array(8, $groups) && in_array(1, $groups)){
   echo 'only visible for users assigned to super-users AND public';
}

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:04 pm 
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

In addition to the above arrays are accessed like: $groups[0] which is 8 in your case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Carsten/Sovai,
Beautiful! Thanks for the quick responses!

I will give this a try. I believe this is the final missing piece in a google map project I am working on for my site! This will help me show different versions of the map to different user types.

Again thank you very much.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
Manual Signature Removed

It is not the critic who counts ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena ... so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. –Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by imanickam on Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manual Signature Removed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Quickheads wrote:
Carsten/Sovai,
Beautiful! Thanks for the quick responses!

I will give this a try. I believe this is the final missing piece in a google map project I am working on for my site! This will help me show different versions of the map to different user types.

Again thank you very much.

Warm regards,
Dan Yager

If you get it done please share a link to it so we can all see how well it works.

Last edited by imanickam on Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manual Signature in the Quote Removed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:30 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Thanks to Sova and Carsten I got it working just fine. You can check out the results here:

http://www.quickheads.com/member/map.html

If you are not logged-in, the map centers on the United States. If you are logged-in and you have an icon, the map will center and zoom on your own icon. If you are a member of the Quickie Builders Association, you can see the contact info for everyone on the map when you click their icon.

I even used it to generate different versions of the underlying XML file so that you couldn't cheat and find the contact info without being a member!

Works like a champ! I love that "if (in_array)" statement. VERY Handy!

Thanks all!

Warm regards,
Dan Yager
Manual Signature Removed

Last edited by imanickam on Thu May 24, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manual Signature Removed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:00 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Thanks! It took me a while to puzzle together the code I needed (as I'm a php noob), but if it can help anyone else I will post it:

<?
$groups = JUserHelper::getUserGroups(2);
//only visible for the user group of your choice (= group 2)
if(in_array(2, $groups)){?>
Hi!
<? }
?>

And yes, "Hi!" would be where you put whatever content you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I don't know if anyone might find this useful, but I wrote a function that returns a 'true' value if a given username is a member of a given group (or any of an array of groups, or a member of "always privileged" groups). I use this to restrict and change behavior of pages which display or change sensitive data on my site. Note that you need to provide your own database access parameters where specified.

Code:
<?php

/*
 * Function isAdmin($userid, $group) returns true if logged-in user is a member of string or array $group
 *      Group names are case-insensitive. The array $privGroups contains the groups who will always be
 *      returned as admins
 * Temporary (one hopes) fix for a deficiency in Joomla
 */

//  Return true if $userid is a member of any of the $groups array, or is in $privGroups

function isAdmin($userid, $group){

$privGroups = array('Administrator', 'Super Users'); // Always return true for these

if(is_array($group))$mygroup = $group;
    else $mygroup[0]=$group;
    $j=0;
    $n=count($mygroup);
    for($i=count($mygroup); $i<($n+count($privGroups)); $i++) {
        $mygroup[$i] = $privGroups[$j];    //  Add "always" admins to argument admins
        $j++;
    }

//  DB access credentials: $db, $dbhost, $login, and $pw need to be defined here

$link = mysql_connect($dbhost, $login, $pw)
        or die("Could not connect : " . mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db($db) or die("Could not select database");

// extract all groups user's a member of
    $SQL = "Select q.title FROM (j16_user_usergroup_map as p)
        LEFT JOIN (j16_usergroups as q)
        on p.group_id=q.id
        WHERE p.user_id=$userid;";
    $res=mysql_query($SQL) or die('<p>Groups select query failed<br />' . mysql_error()  . "<br />$SQL</p>");
    if (mysql_num_rows($res) == 0) {    //  No groups? Then user clearly isn't a mamber of "$group"
        if($termlink) mysql_close($link);
        return false;
    }
    while ($line = mysql_fetch_array($res, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {
        extract($line);
        $userGroups[]=$title;
    }
    mysql_close($link);   //  Close link
    for($i=0; $i<count($userGroups); $i++){
        for($j=0; $j<count($mygroup); $j++) {
            if(strtolower($userGroups[$i])==strtolower($mygroup[$j])) return true;
        }
    }
    return false;
}

?>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 am 
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

that can be shorter.

Code:
function check_group($group, $inherited){
$user_id = $user->get('id');
if($inherited){
//include inherited groups
$groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser($user_id);
}else{
//exclude inherited groups
$user =& JFactory::getUser($user_id);
}
$return = 0;
if(in_array($group, $groups)){
$return = true;
}
return $return;
}

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Thanks to carsten888 for the post. If brevity is a virtue, here's an even shorter version:
Code:
function check_group($group, $inherited){
   $user_id = $user->get('id');
   if($inherited){
      //include inherited groups
      $groups = JAccess::getGroupsByUser($user_id);
   }
   else {
      //exclude inherited groups
      $user =& JFactory::getUser($user_id);
   }
   return (in_array($group, $groups))?true:0;
}

This routine from carsten888 differs from my routine posted earlier in that this one requires a group number (the 'id' field in the j16_usergroups table) to be provided, while mine wants a group name. Also, mine will check to see if the user is in ANY of the groups in the input array, or is in the single group, if provided as a string, not an array. For clarity of meaning, I would use the group name rather than an ID field. Checking for any of a number of group memberships can be useful if different groups have some overlapping responsibilities but are not otherwise related, and we wish to check to see if the task at hand is among the responsibilities shared among groups.

It's a matter of style and preferences, I suppose, and I certainly would prefer to use a less arcane method of answering the simple question, "Is this user a member of the group(s) allowed to see the page being loaded?" When I was looking for a built-in way of addressing this question last Autumn, nothing close to carsten888's concise and very applicable code existed, nor was there any documentation that I could find about how to answer the question within the Joomla framework. So I rolled my own.

I did look at the website linked in carsten888's post, and find there a Joomla extension that may do the trick exactly, so will explore this option further. Anyway, thanks for the post and the function.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:22 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hello,

Interesting function but Please could someone tell me where to put the function and how to call it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:47 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I use my routine in the initialization of any PHP page that changes its behavior based on whether the user is privileged or not. The return from isAdmin(...) is saved and used whenever a page's behavior or appearance is altered based on privilege level. It could be invoked near the top of a template's index.php file, but in my site, it's used only within the many specialized PHP codes that implement functions like editing database files, hiding or revealing menu options, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hello - Thanks for your reply - I need to test privilege level only in one only page - its a Articles » Gallery View - I would like to make the changes in gallery_item.php (in html folder of the template)

Declaring the function in gallery_item.php does not work - the site render seems to stop at a moment
Then I declared the function in a first time in template index - OK
But when I try to call the function in gallery_item.php same problem as mentionned above - here's the code I inserted :

Code:
<?php $varGroup = check_group('Registered', FALSE); ?>

Could you please help me to find the right way to call this function
And I would prefer to put the function not in the index file because as I said this should be availabvle only for this gallery page.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

It's been a while but: If you look at carsten888's code and my followup, it seems the $group argument to the function is the id number of the group you're trying to check against, not its name.

However, if you're just trying to see if the Joomla user is registered or not, this code should work:
Code:
$user = & JFactory::getUser();
//  See if we have a logged-in user
$notLoggedIn = ($user->guest) ? true : false;     //  Set variable indicating guest status