I suggest you go back through the template you created (edited/altered/gutted BEEZ) and figure out what you changed that is not allowing the template to be discovered.
"Look at this piece of text and tell me what's wrong with it."
Uh... one needs to know the criteria that it is being judged on to know how to answer. You can't tell someone to fix what is wrong without telling them the important criteria. You can't get there from here. The criteria for what needs to be set correctly needs to be documented.
Note again that this installed just fine from the Extensions manager and is working perfectly. So whatever the criteria is for Discover is different from what it needs to operate. The criteria for Discover is clearly unique.
Saying you "gutted" the files isn't very helpful to say what exactly you have changed.
I am sorry you are unfamiliar with the common phrase. It means that nothing which was inside remains inside. Everything inside the file has changed. From a context of making sure the system can tell it apart from the other templates, there is no way any text-based analysis could believe it to be related to it's source.
Why would you ever install a template as a module? It is a template. If your template installed as a module, then I suggest you really did change something incorrectly.
These kind of comments leave me baffled. It's a template. It installed as a template, it shows up in the extension manager as a template, it functions as a template. Why you would assume that I installed this and it shows as a module, but somehow works as a template...
What I said was that I installed it "as a module" which is well known english to mean "as one would install a module". Which is part of the completely new, completely undocumented way of dealing with templates.
Given that the extension manager doesn't give you a choice -- doesn't ask you if you are installing a template or a module or a component, my statement has no ambiguity.