The Joomla! Forum ™



Forum rules


Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am
Posts: 457
Hello everyone,

Is there an easy way to add a Facebook link on my Joomla website that shows a facebook icon and people can click on it and it takes them to my facebook account?

Thanks.

_________________
Best wishes and God bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:01 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 am
Posts: 783
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Hi,

There are a few ways to achieve this. Probably the easiest is to install a Joomla module or plugin from the Social Profiles category in the Joomla Extension Directory:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... l-profiles

A couple that I have used and like are:

Anything Tabs: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... files/9774
Social media Icon Links: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... iles/11989

Neil.

_________________
Please request help via the forums rather than by PM so everyone can benefit from the conversation.
NEIL ROBERTSON
Webilicious Web Design and Development
http://webilicious.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am
Posts: 457
ozneilau wrote:
Hi,

There are a few ways to achieve this. Probably the easiest is to install a Joomla module or plugin from the Social Profiles category in the Joomla Extension Directory:

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... l-profiles

A couple that I have used and like are:

Anything Tabs: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... files/9774
Social media Icon Links: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... iles/11989

Neil.


HI neil, thanks for your message.

I decided upon Social Media, and installed it.

But sometimes an icon pic appears which has links to live, and bing etc. Why and how do I remove it?

Thank you.

_________________
Best wishes and God bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 am
Posts: 783
Location: Tasmania, Australia
When configuring the module in Extensions -> Module Manager, you choose an icon and enter a URL for each link that you wish to show. If you only need a link for Facebook, then you should only choose the facebook.png icon and enter one link. Is this what you are doing?

Are you able to provide a link for us to look at to see what is going on?

Neil.

_________________
Please request help via the forums rather than by PM so everyone can benefit from the conversation.
NEIL ROBERTSON
Webilicious Web Design and Development
http://webilicious.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am
Posts: 457
ozneilau wrote:
When configuring the module in Extensions -> Module Manager, you choose an icon and enter a URL for each link that you wish to show. If you only need a link for Facebook, then you should only choose the facebook.png icon and enter one link. Is this what you are doing?

Are you able to provide a link for us to look at to see what is going on?

Neil.


It's ok Neil, it's all good now :)

I chose Social media Icon Links because of your comments on the feedback page. It seems the best one and I really like it.

"I will be using this on most of my websites now for a few reasons. 1. I have realised a module is better than a plugin for social networking as plugins don't always work consistently across all components whereas the module can be set up to be displayed consistently on every page. 2. This module is W3C compliant and this is unusual with social networking extensions. 3. I install the "PGT SocialWeb" module to provide "Share" functionality and "Social Media Icon Links" uses very similar icons so that they compliment each other well. Thanks for providing this excellent free extension!"

Neil, why do you need PGT SocialWeb as well though?

I don't understand properly what PGT SocialWeb does? Can you please explain it to me in basic terms?

Thank you Neil for your help.

_________________
Best wishes and God bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 am
Posts: 783
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Hi,

Social Media Icon Links provides "Follow" buttons and PGT Socialweb provides "Share" buttons.

"Follow" buttons are associated with a social networking profile such as your organisations Facebook page.

"Share" buttons allow a visitor to share a link on their own social network (e.g. their FaceBook wall).

You can probably see better what I mean by clicking on the buttons on an example website like this website I have in development: http://cewa2.webilicious.com.au

Neil.

_________________
Please request help via the forums rather than by PM so everyone can benefit from the conversation.
NEIL ROBERTSON
Webilicious Web Design and Development
http://webilicious.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:47 am
Posts: 457
ozneilau wrote:
Hi,

Social Media Icon Links provides "Follow" buttons and PGT Socialweb provides "Share" buttons.

"Follow" buttons are associated with a social networking profile such as your organisations Facebook page.

"Share" buttons allow a visitor to share a link on their own social network (e.g. their FaceBook wall).

You can probably see better what I mean by clicking on the buttons on an example website like this website I have in development: http://cewa2.webilicious.com.au

Neil.


Thank you Neil, that was helpful :)

By the way, how did you get the facebook thumbs up "Like" icon on your webpage and what does it do exactly?

And did you know that when I drag my mouse and highlight the words "facebook social plugin" on your webpage that an icon pops up, and when I press that icon, I get words like: Blog with windows live, Search with Bing, etc.

_________________
Best wishes and God bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:42 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 am
Posts: 783
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Hi,

The "Like" icon is in another social networking extension called "Iyosis Facebook Module" that displays Facebook Like Box, Activity Feed or Recommendations: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... play/15882

There's a good explanation of the difference between "Like " and "Share" here: http://www.829llc.com/blog/facebook-vs-facebook-share

Essentially, "Share" allows you to add a comment when you share a link. "Like" performs a similar function but does not allow you to add a comment at the same time.

Neil

_________________
Please request help via the forums rather than by PM so everyone can benefit from the conversation.
NEIL ROBERTSON
Webilicious Web Design and Development
http://webilicious.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group