The Joomla! Forum ™



Forum rules


Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am
Posts: 102
Location: Sydney, N.S.W, Australia
Hi, I am using Joomla 2.5 on my WAMP localhost server and would like to rename the site in the www folder. I can rename it however it is not then recognised by WAMP so have to change it back again to what it was. What else do I need to rename for the site to work with the new name? I will probably require some detailed instructions. Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:07 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1065
Location: India
R wrote:
Hi, I am using Joomla 2.5 on my WAMP localhost server and would like to rename the site in the www folder. I can rename it however it is not then recognised by WAMP so have to change it back again to what it was. What else do I need to rename for the site to work with the new name? I will probably require some detailed instructions. Thanks in advance.

Just go to your Joomla backend. Reach Global Configuration and find 'site name'. Give the name of your site here.

_________________
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:48 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am
Posts: 102
Location: Sydney, N.S.W, Australia
Thanks Ankit, I didn't know that it was so easy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1065
Location: India
R wrote:
Thanks Ankit, I didn't know that it was so easy!

Its ok dear. Enjoy!

_________________
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am
Posts: 102
Location: Sydney, N.S.W, Australia
Hi Ankit, That doesn't work. It changes the website name but when I rename my folder in the www folder the site will not load. As I said I am using WAMP which is my localhost server so I need to rename the folder in my WAMP www folder located in C: [drive].


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:39 am 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1065
Location: India
R wrote:
Hi Ankit, That doesn't work. It changes the website name but when I rename my folder in the www folder the site will not load. As I said I am using WAMP which is my localhost server so I need to rename the folder in my WAMP www folder located in C: [drive].

It seems you are setting up site on local end.
You will also be required to enter the updated url. The new URl will contain things like:
localhost/NEW_FOLDER_NAME/........... and so on

_________________
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am
Posts: 102
Location: Sydney, N.S.W, Australia
I don't quite understand you or you don't understand me. This is not a new url I simply (I thought simply) want to rename my folder (site name) that is located in the www folder in WAMP. When I open the www folder there is a folder inside that contains all of the Joomla info including extensions etc, I just want to rename that folder.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am
Posts: 8
i think there is no other settings needed, just rename your folder under the www folder, then try accessing it again with the new folder name. sometimes you need to delete cache / history of ie of the computer you are using.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am 
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am
Posts: 102
Location: Sydney, N.S.W, Australia
Hi arvincandaruma, that worked thanks. I noticed that I was also making a stupid mistake; I had the shortcut with the old name! Dumb hey!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am
Posts: 8
glad i could help, sometimes we forgot small things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1065
Location: India
R wrote:
I don't quite understand you or you don't understand me. This is not a new url I simply (I thought simply) want to rename my folder (site name) that is located in the www folder in WAMP. When I open the www folder there is a folder inside that contains all of the Joomla info including extensions etc, I just want to rename that folder.

I just asked you to use the new folder name in the URL, rather using the old folder name. Nothing else.

_________________
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm 
User avatar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1065
Location: India
R wrote:
Hi arvincandaruma, that worked thanks. I noticed that I was also making a stupid mistake; I had the shortcut with the old name! Dumb hey!

Ah! good to know that your problem is solved...

_________________
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group