The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hi everybody!

I searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to an installation issue i'm having with Joomla 3.03.

Even though php 5.4.12 VC9, apache 2.4.4 and mysql 5.6 are working fine, Joomla gets stuck while creating the database tables.

Is there any known solution to this problem?

Thank you,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Do the database user have permissions to create tables in the database?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:20 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

first of all, thank you for your time.

The mysql user is the root one, so i don't think there's a problem with creating tables..

consider also that even if the process gets stuck it does create some tables in the db... and then it hangs on forever.. is there a way to get some logging file of sort?? any other idea?

thank you,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 am 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Haven't used Mysql 5.6 yet, and I doubt a lot of others have. I'd probably first test to see if all tables can be created normally. You can do this by getting /installation/sql/mysql/joomla.sql. Copy it somewhere to a file called test.sql, open file, replace #__ (double underscore) with jos_, save document. Create a test database with either phpmyadmin or the mysql command prompt. Then import the file with the replaced prefix.

If you do this on the command prompt it will be:

mysql -u root -p
enter password
create database test;
exit
mysql -u root -p test < test.sql

Have fun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I ran into this problem on Dreamhost Shared Hosting today. Try upping your PHP memory limit and PHP execute time.

I'm using php 5.3. Increasing my memory limit to 128mb, and execute time to 3000 seconds solved the issue for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Thank you for your help.. as soon as my job leaves me some time i'll try and let you know!
Have a nice day guys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

hello MrCitizen. can you tell details of putting them on dreamhost.i have no code knowledge. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

is there anyone knows what to do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hi Bcrowlio,
How are you accessing your shared hosting server? You could do this via an FTP client, but using command line via SSH would likely be easier. Either way, here are the steps you need to take:

1. In your server's home directory, (which is the lowest directory for shared hosting users,) make a new file called "phprc" inside of the .php folder. If the folder doesn't exist yet, create it. The period in front of the folder name means that it's invisible, so make sure you can see invisible files in your FTP client, or use the command "ls -a" to see all files in the command line.

2. Add the following lines to the 'phprc' file:
Code:
max_execution_time = 3000 ;
memory_limit=128M ;
Then save it.

3. Wait 10 minutes if using an FTP client, or run the command '[removed] php53.cgi' in SSH to have your config changes take effect.

Then try installing Joomla. This fixed the problem for me. You may want to disable or delete the file after your install is complete so that your PHP install goes back to Dreamhost's default values.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:01 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hello,

I had the same problem and is solved with MYSQLi changed to MYSQL in previous step.
I hope will help you, :)

Greetings,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

galamij wrote:
Hello,

I had the same problem and is solved with MYSQLi changed to MYSQL in previous step.
I hope will help you, :)

Greetings,

thats just perfect! i going to change MYSQL to MYSQL all night long! sure it will be awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am 
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

If you are getting some tables, can you say which ones or just take a screen shot to show? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I was having this problem as well on a new and clean installation of Joomla 3.1.1.

And after looking at the DB, it was creating the DB tables, but they were empty of content.

I tried all of the above suggestions yesterday, and none of them solved the problem.
I had already migrated another site to v3 from 2.5.9, so it was confusing that I was having this trouble on the same hosting service [dreamhost].

I tried increasing the php allocations as outlined above. I made sure my user could create db tables. MYSQL (not MYSQLi) Etc., etc.

I am posting this in case I am not the only one who these solutions did not work for.

And, through trial and error [and curiosity] I found a solution that did work. It is not very elegant, but it gets the job done.

I installed a clean version of Joomla 2.5.X. Updated it using the Joomla Update engine in the extensions manager to v2.5.11.

I downloaded the v2.5.9 to v3.0.3 update patch and updated using the extensions manager via the Upload Package File method. That was successful. I then used the update engine to update from 3.0.3 to 3.1.1.

What did not work was every other method of install. Switching the updater in 2.5.11 to "short-term support" and trying to use the Extension Manager Update function for Joomla failed with database errors. Or rather it seemed to work, but then I would get the occasional error. This was one of them:

Quote:
sql=alter table `(tableprefix)_users` drop key `usertype'

There were others.

Even after "fix"ing the database using the extension manager.

Just installing v3.1.1 did not work. Even doing a clean install of 3.0.3 would hang on "creating database tables".

What did work was this three-tier update. 2.5.11 to 3.0.3 [using the package patch] and then 3.1.1 using the extensions manager.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I just want to confirm that increasing the max execution time solved the problem for me.

I have php v 5.3.3

However, i needed to change the setting in both the php configuration and also my virtual server host (virtualmin) has settings under Server Configuration -> Website options -> Maximum PHP script run time that needed to be changed to 120 seconds to make the installation work.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:43 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I've had a similar issue, however, in my case on Phase 3 Finalisation, once I hit Install, it goes through the first process which is either removing the old tables (there are none), or backing them up (there weren't any, this was a clean install) .. then it goes to the second process of creating the tables, then it blinks and takes me back to the Overview page. I verified via PhpMyAdmin that it does actually create the Tables, so my next thought was it couldn't create the configuration file - so while this isn't smart security wise, I 777'd the entire directory and all sub-directories and files to ensure it had proper access to read/write files as needed.

On another note, on 2) Database, I don't even have the option of selecting MySQL, it lists ONLY MySQLi - very odd.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:50 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

i am having the same issue but it is not alleviated my switching to MySQLi. MySQL workbench confirms that tables are being created but it still hangs on this step.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Just to confirm, setting my php.ini max_execution_time = 3000, and restarting the webserver did finally get the script to install the DB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Tonie wrote:
Haven't used Mysql 5.6 yet, and I doubt a lot of others have. I'd probably first test to see if all tables can be created normally. You can do this by getting /installation/sql/mysql/joomla.sql. Copy it somewhere to a file called test.sql, open file, replace #__ (double underscore) with jos_, save document. Create a test database with either phpmyadmin or the mysql command prompt. Then import the file with the replaced prefix.

If you do this on the command prompt it will be:

mysql -u root -p
enter password
create database test;
exit
mysql -u root -p test < test.sql

I been trying to get the install to work and each time it would get stuck at step 2 of creating the databases. I even created a phprc file with the following

max_execution_time = 3000 ;
memory_limit=128M ;
magic_quotes_gpc = Off;
magic_quotes_runtime = Off;
magic_quotes_sybase = Off;
session.save_path = "/tmp"
log_errors = 1
error_log = /home/USERNAME/php.log

I checked it with PHPINFO() and the execution time and memory limit changed. After many frustrating hours I tried your suggestion above using phpmyadmin and each time I received a Gateway Timeout error . upon refresh it appeared to of created the 65 tables. Not sure how I can prevent the gateway timeout to allow the regular installation to work?

EDIT: I can install a clean install of 2.5.11 no issues. Fails upgrading to 3.02 with DB errors. Clean installs of 3.02, 3.03 and 3.1.1 all fail trying to create databases. I am using PHP 5.4 Fast CGI with MySQLi (and tried MySQL as above stated and still failed)

The gateway timeout occurs 3 mins after the SQL script is executed in phpMyAdmin. By all google searches, this time cannot be increased or prevented in the SQL script?

Thank you,

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Joomla 3 Stuck on Remove or Create Database Installation, progress bar moving, but stuck

I tear my hair out for a week to get you this solution.

I debug with Eclipse.

It was stuck for me at \installation\template\js\installation.js :-

install: function(tasks, step_width) {
var req = new Request.JSON({
url : this.baseUrl + '?task=Install' + task,
data : form,
format : 'json',
}

the data and format arguments cause the mootools Request.JSON call to failed.

Hope this solution help someone.

My Website http://priceup.com.au/, google webmaster said it was Joomla 1.5 and needed to upgrade.

I downloaded Joomla_3.1.1-Stable-Full_Package.zip.

Joomla 3 needed php >= 5.3.

I had Centos 5.x, php 5.2.x, mysql something.

My server upgrade script is below:-

1) UPGRADE PHP 5.1 to 5.3 - ( DO FIRST )
----------------------

cd /etc/yum.repos.d

rpm -Uvh http://mirror.webtatic.com/yum/centos/5/latest.rpm

yum --enablerepo=webtatic update php

2) UPGRADE MySQL
-------------

cd /etc/yum.repos.d

wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi.repo

yum --enablerepo=remi update mysql-server

yum --enablerepo=remi update mysql

3) UPGRADE APACHE
--------------

yum update httpd

USEFUL COMMANDS IN PROCESS OF THE UPGRADES
------------------------------------------
rpm -qa | grep httpd

yum list all | grep httpd

However, if you want to change (or update) a root password, then you need to use the following command:

$ mysqladmin -u root -p'oldpassword' password newpass

Something in the php.ini file attached made it come unstuck.

ATTACHED IS WORKING PHP.INI VERSION USE - YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE MODS TO TIGHTEN SECURITY :-

I have not work out EXACTLY what in the php.ini made it worked.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:47 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Hi,

I have a problem while I am installing both Joomla v2.5.11 and Joomla v3.1.1
I am using Windows 7 32-bit and I wanted to try and run joomla locally.
Firstly, I installed different programs one at a time, i.e. Apache, then phpmyadmin, then mysql and lastly, Joomla. But it always stucked at creating database. Since it did not work out, I un-installed Apache, phpmyadmin, and sql.

Secondly, I installed the latest version of WAMP packages
Starting all WAMP services, log-in into phpmyadmin and created the database for Joomla, i.e. ABCDEFGH.
I tried to install both Joomla v2.5.11 and Joomla v3.1.1, but it always stuck at creating database tables

I even tried following suggestion shown in:
[http://www.outofmysandbox.com/2012/08/step-by-step-tutorial-for-installing-wamp-and-joomla-2-5/]
but it still did not work out.

Could somebody give me suggestion on this ?

Regards,

NB: The stuck process is shown in the attachment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

JerryA wrote:
Just to confirm, setting my php.ini max_execution_time = 3000, and restarting the webserver did finally get the script to install the DB.

Hi,

Have had the same probelms and updated my php.ini file as above and this also fixed my problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 am 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Updated the php.ini in XAMPP did the trick for me as well.
Changed the max_execution_time value from 30 to 3000 and restarted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:02 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

I am running PHP 5.4.16 and the change to

max_execution_time = 3000

in the php.ini file followed by a 'Restart All Services' in wamp worked for me.

Cheers Joomla forum!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:37 pm 
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Running WAMP 2.4, and ran into same issue.

Edit php.ini: max_execution_time = 600
Restarted Apache service.

Problem solved. Thanks Joomla community!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Same thing here, increasing the max time for runnning the script solved the problem.

Many Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

This seems to be an javascript issue. I opened up Firebug and this is what I could see:

See the attached screenshot.

Any body else facing the same problem?

One more thing, sometimes this error comes up after 20 tables have been created & populated, sometime after 31 tables and sometimes after 40... so, this actually happens randomly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:39 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

No reply here? Plz help!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:32 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Okay!!

So I found out something and that seemed to help!
This is what I did:

Quote:
Edited the SQL install file (Root/installation/SQL/mysql/joomla.sql) and replaced all "ENGINE=InnoDB" with "ENGINE=MyIsam".

This dbtype is more responsive to Joomla install conditions!!

Found the solution here: https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-138283-post-167973.html#pid167973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

You are right hackernewbie, your answer help me

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:05 am 
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

I just wanted to confirm that hackernewbie's solution worked for me. I tried all of the other previous solutions and none worked.