XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everything!)

Discuss the development and implementation of Joomla! 1.0.x templates here.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everything!)

Post by Dave914 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Happy New Years Joomla Community!

I've created a custom template for my site; it's a realatively simple two-column page with a header image set above both columns. I followed the Joomla 1.0.x template tutorial for my Joomla 1.0.13 release. So far, I've downloaded a few templates from siteground, all made for 1.0.x and all of them have successfully uploaded onto my back-end template installer. My template, however, will not install. I've spent a couple days looking through the forum and about problems with the same failure message:
Upload template - Upload Failed
ERROR: Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package.
[ Continue ... ]
Upload template - Failed
Installation file not found:
/home/XXXX/public_html/media/install_477ab7a122dd7/
[ Continue ... ]
Here's what I know and what I've tried:

1. Other templates have successfully been installed on my site, therefore I do not believe there is a problem with Joomla itself.
2. All my permissions are writable except for my Sessions/ directory. I could not edit the php.ini file (or find it, anyways) so I used the work around by inserting code into the .htaccess file. That, however, caused my frontpage to have some jumbled code on it. I tried to upload the template while Sessions/ was writable but I recieved the same error.
3. Safe mode is off.
4. I've compared my XML file to templates that have worked and all seems fine.
5. I've zipped the template with both 7zip and WinRAR. Neither worked and both produced the same error message.
6. I've also tried uploading it to my server via ftp and then installing it locally. Didn't work. I got the common error message:
Upload new template - Error
Installation file not found:
/home/p1r49722/public_html/administrator/components/com_installer/template/DM_design1/
[ Continue ... ]
7. The zip file is neither doubled zipped nor hidden inside another hierarchy of folders.

I tried to include as much information I could about the problem. I've searched the forums SO MUCH and am banging my head against my desk because of it. Hopefully I can resolve this soon and set to work on my website. Thanks for the replies in advance!

PS: I couldn't attach the template zip so I've put it on my website. Here's a URL: http://www.dmmphoto.net/dave/DM_design1.zip
Dave
Last edited by Dave914 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everything!)

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 am

I am having the same problem. just want to say good luck, I really hope someone here can help us! I will be back to checking on you. later!

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everythin

Post by Chris Davenport » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:16 am

One of our Google Highly Open Participation Contest students is currently working on a troubleshooting procedure for template installation.  It is focussed on 1.5 rather than 1.0.x but most of the issues that people encounter are basically the same.  You can pick up a copy of the work done so far near the end of this thread: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,244700.0.html.  I suspect that the problem you are both having is to do with server permissions and/or ownerships.

Hope it helps.

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everything!)

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:21 am

for you information. there is a typing mistake in your XML file:
dave@dmmphoto.net, which you can see where is wrong now.
I don't think correct this typing mistake will help you install the file but it is nice to point it out. hanging on there body! I wich someone better will come and help us!

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've Tried Everythin

Post by Jenny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:21 am

One thing I can mention is remove the underscore from your template folder name and zip template name.  Also in your xml you have:

Code: Select all

<name>Design01</name>
Where it should be the same as the folder name.  Name the folder the same as the name of the template.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:45 am

also if it's a custom template, and it's just for you, the installation file is almost irrelevant.  Just FTP the entire folder to your joomlasite/templates folder and forget about the installation entirely.

You do need a template_details.xml file and it needs to at least be proper syntax (the mismatched tags might break it) but things like the template name, etc, will not be a problem like they are when you try to install it.

Unlike components, templates don't need to access several folders during installation so you don't really *need* the xml file except to give the template manager something to write so you can *choose* that template in the back end.  When I create custom templates for myself, sometimes I forget to update the xml file ... so it will have my "stock" template name and file structure, rather than the actual structure of the template.  It does not affect the function of the template.

Of course you should do everything you can to figure out why it's not working, but when all else fails at least you'll be able to use the template.

Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave914 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:05 am

binwangzz + Chris: Thanks for the support. There seems to be a lot of information out there that should be compiled into one source. Thankfully, this forum is active. :)

MMMMedia: I've fixed the tages as well as the name. I am now however getting this error while installing locally:
Upload new template - Error
File /home/p1r49722/public_html/administrator/components/com_installer/template/DM_design1/index.php does not exist!
[ Continue ... ]
Tydust: How do I install it manually? Do I just replace my index over Joomla's index.php file? If so, where exactly is the directory for the index file I should replace? I see alot of them and I'm never sure which index joomla is calling on. I'm guessing it's the one in my publichtml folder. I didn't know I could manually install it like that. Seems pretty useful and I might end up having to do that if all else fails. Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, almost got this resolved.  :D

Dave
Last edited by Dave914 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

binwangzz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by binwangzz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:21 am

thank you very much! that has clear out the mysterious xml function in joomla template now. :)

I am using JASA on my xp so I can just copy paste the whole template folder into my joomla template/ directory. but it just won't work.

I need tried to restart JASA or set the whole template folder in 777 but still not work. :(

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am

I'm confused as to what you're trying to do.  Let's say you have a template called "zamboni", you can paste the entire template folder /zamboni into  joomlasite.com/templates  and it will find the /zamboni template as long as there is a template_details.xml file in /zamboni and it has a minimal file structure in it.  The template name, author, date, and a few other things need to be filled in.  I think it also needs the css folder and a css file, and the index.php in the /zamboni root, and an images folder in the /zamboni root.  Minimal structure for Joomla to recognize it as a template.

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 am

you want to put the entire folder DM_design1 into joomlastuff.com/templates/
DM_design1 should have an images and CSS folder, its own index.php, and its own template_details.xml

Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave914 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 am

tydust: Manual installation didn't work. It seems to me as though something is wrong with the template, perhaps in the XML file. I feel like there's probably some syntax error or typo thats eluding me. I'll keep working on it and shifting through the code. Can anyone else install my template on their machine?

Dave

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:34 am

I tried to download and look but it says file not found.

Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave914 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:51 am

Opps. Sorry. I was updating the file.

Here's the updated file and a new link:
http://www.dmmphoto.net/dave/DM_design1.0.zip

:)
Dave

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:06 am

Case sensitive.  The capital letters in your zip name are not going to go well with the lowercase letters in the template name in the xml file.

I would also take out the dot and the underscore as Jenny said.

I would name the template dmdesign1 and the zip file dmdesign1.zip and see if that works.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:10 am

Just to recap -  :)

In the templateDetails.xml name the template dmdesign1 .
The folder should also have the name of dmdesign1 .
The zip file should be called dmdesign1.zip .

Consistency is the key to debugging something when it is not working correctly.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave914 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:06 am

Sorry about the change. When I have an unsuccesfull upload my server won't allow me to delete the old folder. So I've had to keep changing the name. I'll start installing it locally.

Here's a fresher link:

I'm starting to think it may be a permissions problem with on my server. /templetes/ just gave my this message when trying to upload: templete_thumbnail.png:
move /home/p1r49722/tmp/cpanel.TMP.T8mexRvwb06kImdY to /home/p1r49722/public_html/templates/dmdesign1/template_tumbnail.png failed: Permission denied
template_tumbnail.png (template_tumbnail.png): upload failed
I'm going to contact my web host about the problem and see if they can fix the permissions on the directory.

Dave914
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Dave914 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 am

;D

Turns out it was a permissions problem with my web host. It wasn't allowing me to upload some of the files.

Issue is resolved. Thanks so much for the help!

Dave

chozma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: XML Installation File Not Found on Custom Template (And I've

Post by chozma » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

I had the same problem as was described originally. Nothing wrong with my xml file and file structure ok but it said it couldn't find the xml file. I just ftped the whole template and it works fine now.

Looks as though I might have some server permission errors which is causing this problem, although sometimes it does work, weird. But ftp works fine to get round this one.

H

kgrinsteiner
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kgrinsteiner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:55 pm

I was getting the same errors when I was trying to upload modules.

Here was my solution:

php Safe-Mode had to be OFF

Hope this helps someone!

Kyla
http://www.rangelinedesign.com

stephfox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stephfox » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi All,
I've been banging my head against a wall with the same issues trying to install a template which seemed to be perfect, but wouldn't show up via installer or FTP... I've just managed to solve it, so here's what I did in the hopes it helps someone else:

I removed all underscores and hyphens from the template name and directory name.

I duplicated my mytemplate/templateDetails.xml file, and renamed it mytemplate/
template_details.xml
In the first xml file I have:

<files>
		<filename>index.html</filename>
		<filename>index.php</filename>
		<filename>template_thumbnail.png</filename>
	</files>
In the second I have:

<files>
		<filename>template_details.xml</filename>
		<filename>index.html</filename>
		<filename>index.php</filename>
		<filename>template_thumbnail.png</filename>
	</files>

I FTPed the whole lot into a new folder inside the directory:
administrator/components/com_installer/template/[mytemplatename]/

DON'T FTP it into your templates/ directory, as the steps below will install the files into that directory...

I then log-in to Admin section of site, go to Site/Template Manager/Site Tempates and select 'New'

Then enter the full path to your uploaded files in the 'Install from directory ' field:
eg. this was the full path to the root of the server for my site, so it started: usr/shared/web/[myservername]/administrator/components/com_installer/template/[mytemplatename]/

Once I clicked Install, thankfully, it worked.

It took a lot of trial and error, I'm still not sure which bit was the vital change, but suspect that having the XML file duplicated and renamed was what did it. No idea why...
Cheers,
Steph.

Return to “Templates & CSS - 1.0.x”