why people leave Joomla ?

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
mbd
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

why people leave Joomla ?

Post by mbd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:54 pm

why people leave joomla , is it cuz server load , joomla takes much of server load ??

or other reasons ?

is it joomla takes much of server load ?

or maybe bandwidth i mean .. !

we have to know so we could fix it .. and so it's important for me to know .. really
Last edited by mbd on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joomla needs our help ... to the freedom .. live your life as you like but help as much as you can.

compass
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: why people leave Joomla ?

Post by compass » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:36 pm

I didnt know they were leaving Joomla. Everything I see tells me people are picking it up all the time.
Follow me on Twitter @compassdesign
www.compassdesigns.net - Get get free templates and news for Joomla
simplweb.com/joomla-hosting - Fully Managed Joomla Hosting - Unlimited Support

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:44 pm

Sure people are coming all the time.

Mdb was wondering why people might be leaving. Different.

Does seem to be heavy on the server.

nolanpro
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nolanpro » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:45 pm

I agree, Joomla does put a big load on server processing. It seems like something that could be fixed with the Cache but it doesn't help much. I would reccomend a revamped caching system for future versions.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:48 pm

All mysql/dynamic sites put a load on a server, however Joomla performs exceptionally well. Have you seen how well http://www.joomla.org and our other sites work?

With a correct hosting setup Joomla is fine on server resources.
Brad Baker
https://xyzuluhosting.com
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:15 pm

Good point.
Free hosting + Joomla! = Bad

I think part of the problem is some people are attracted to Joomla! for price reasons and they might also find free hosting appealing.

In the case of Joomla! you get way more than what you pay for. As for free hosting. . . 

flokky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by flokky » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Does anyone of you know who muchs queries are executed when the homepage of a Joomla based site is requested? Depending the site this can vary between 18 - 110 queries!

Sorry, but THAT is a lot of server load for a simple PHP site. Of course, when deploying it on a dedicated server, you can expect better results.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 pm

Rey had been working hard on reducing the number of queries in the last few versions of Joomla, here, you can find the number of queries for a default joomla with start page.
Last edited by Tonie on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathandiehl
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by nathandiehl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Tonie,
thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it before.

1.0.9 is 62% fewer queries than 1.0.0

that is impressive.
If you're new to Joomla, Please read Anna's Joomla! Tips: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=5503

http://nathandiehl.com | Find out what makes me tick

flokky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by flokky » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:30 pm

Those figures are indeed impressive.

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:16 pm

nathandiehl wrote: Tonie,
thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it before.

1.0.9 is 62% fewer queries than 1.0.0

that is impressive.
If that trend contiues I can dump my dedicated IP and go back to free hosting. (not)

fuziononline
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fuziononline » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:42 pm

brad wrote: All mysql/dynamic sites put a load on a server, however Joomla performs exceptionally well. Have you seen how well http://www.joomla.org and our other sites work?

With a correct hosting setup Joomla is fine on server resources.

So what is "correct hosting setup" i'm hosting with godaddy and it seems real slow.

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Ideally a dedicated server if you can afford it.

mbd
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mbd » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 pm

godaddy is good for domains only not hosting i guess
Joomla needs our help ... to the freedom .. live your life as you like but help as much as you can.

technopuzzle
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by technopuzzle » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 pm

I thought I'd put in my 2-cents on the hosting issue.

You may want to take a look at http://1and1.com for hosting as an alternative to GoDaddy. 1And1 offers cheap, reliable, fast hosting (both shared and dedicated) and I've never had any major problems (and only a couple of minor ones) with them in the past couple of years that I've been with them.

I run multiple Joomla sites with them and so far I've not seen any server load issues (or other issues for that matter).

If you do decide to use (or test out) 1And1 I ask (but not required) that you use my affiliate referrral Mod note: affiliate link removed, against the rules

--Roger
Last edited by brad on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Roger Raymond
Techno Puzzle

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:34 am

I wondered when this thread would start getting censored.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:54 am

ddp wrote: I wondered when this thread would start getting censored.
Where is it being censored? If you have a problem with the moderators Mike, please feel free to contact Tonie, any of the global mods, or myself. I just can't see how your comment adds any value to this particular discussion.
Brad Baker
https://xyzuluhosting.com
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:32 am

Frankly, I don't understand the entire thread!  :P

@mbd - Why do you think people are leaving Joomla!? That is what I do not understand. You always seem to have very positive comments to make on the boards 8) - so, I am certain you have a reason for asking this. But, I am not personally seeing people leave. I am seeing them come!  :)

@ddp - there are forum rules that the moderators have to help enforce. You can find the rules listed under the "rules" button on the top of the screen. The specific rule that was addressed by the removal of the little piece of information was: "Any posts deemed to be self promotion, advertising, or spam can and will be removed. " It was not a big deal -- we all make mistakes about the rules from time to time -- but, comments like the one you made are unfortunately not very kind. Please, just let it go next time, okay? It keeps things more peaceful as the moderators have to do a job that is not too much fun! Thanks!  :)

Amy

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:57 am

Hi guys,

I meant no offence about my "censored" comment. Sarcasms is hard to inffer in a post. I was just noticing that the discussion had digressed to "this server being better than that server" which gets into the realm of commercial posting.

I had no problem with the comment being deleted (about and affiliate link). It makes sense to me. You need to be able so censor some things and have stated the rules clearly in the forum rules which I try to obey. However this is still censorship. But I don't see any other way to go for the moderators.

I am sorry and did not wish to change the topic of this thread to censorship. Not a big issue here in Joomla!

I think Joomla! is great!! I personally do not know why people would leave it.

I also think that the moderators do a really great job

Sorry I'll try and watch my jokes in the future. Sometimes offence is unintended.
Last edited by ddp on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:58 am

I have the same problem, dude! Good apology - great job! Keep up the good attitude. Thanks!
Amy

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:09 pm

:o

Free hosting + Joomla! = Good (all free and save your money ) :laugh:
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

ddp
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ddp » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 pm

alikon wrote: Free hosting + Joomla! = Good (all free and save your money ) :laugh:
Hey it's all a matter of perspective. You are right what have you got to lose.

However with increased traffic a more robust server solution is probably better.

Unless you know of a free host that gives massive bandwidth?  If so PM me don't post it here  or everyone will use it!! LOL ;D
Last edited by ddp on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:46 pm

There are free webhosts that offer unlimited bandwidth and there are free webhosts that know how to succesfully configure servers.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

Steve F J
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Steve F J » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Why are people leaving Joomla!
I really don't think there is any one answer to that.

1...It could well be that the CMS is above and beyond some peoples needs.

2...It has to be said that the Admin sections are terribly confusing at first - there is just so much, and it needs time to get the head round that. Some people might just not have the time, and may just get a  little dispondant when they begin to realise that they can't have their dream web site right now - today. To get that site, they must be prepared to learn. There are quite a few sites out there that are more or leass as out of the box.

3...And this one I think is a biggy. Sorry! The forums show lot of people place quetions relating to problems that are real issues that they can't resolve - and get no answer. So with that, they go elsewhere. The only solution to that is to ensure every single topic started is replied to. Customer care.
I went to the doctors the other day. I said, "Doctor I'm really hoping you can help me out." He said, "But you have only just come in."

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Good feedback, Steve, thanks for sharing. We appreciate hearing honest reflection offered in such a kind manner.

Since you have 30 posts, and we are talking about these issues, I want to make certain has questions that you know where to get "the good stuff" here on the forums.

FAQ It's worth spending time there when you start -- I still do!

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! If new people read through the material in that guide, they WILL understand how to build a Joomla! website. I promise. Money back guarantee. I'll even refund ten times what you have to pay to get Joomla! -- that is how very confident I am in the material that these people have written

Good luck! Amy

Steve F J
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Steve F J » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:47 pm

much thanks Amy. :)

I love your guarantee - a remarkable bargain at even half the price.

Come to think of it though. There is a guide book which can be got off the Net Don't know if there is one for Joomla!. I think what would really help is if just such a book could be got from such places as Waterstones. I tried to get the Mambo book, but neither they nor Borders could find any reference to it. I think it would help a lot if a book could be got quite easily, and be able to be read wherever.
I went to the doctors the other day. I said, "Doctor I'm really hoping you can help me out." He said, "But you have only just come in."

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:52 pm

Steve F J wrote: I love your guarantee - a remarkable bargain at even half the price.
I try!

I purchased the "Building Websites with Joomla!" book by Hagen Graf - ISBN 1-904811-94-9

He "converted" his Mambo book to Joomla! It's an okay book -- for certain it will get you started and it rolls through all of the core features; plus, starts into some standard extensions. I believe that Hagen even donates a small portion to the Joomla! project for each copy sold. So, if you are like me and building bookshelves is not an issue, I recommend.

Otherwise, the Newbie material really does get you going.

If you get stuck, Steve, and can't get your post answered, feel free to PM me -- I'll try to find someone smart to help you!
Amy

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:25 pm

First off no one is leaving Joomla...Where this notion came from I just don't know...
Free Hosting  Plus or Minus anything is bad... may be good to the person who wants to run a website but thats where the advantages end.

Disadvantages are:
1 - Server is usually very overloaded because to keep the cost down virtually 100's maybe 1000's of websites are being served from it!
2 - Something is always subsidizing the service be it Java Float Ads, Data Mining and cookie tracing.
3 - there is never a reliable support system
4 - they can delete your site anytme they want
5 - rarely will you find one with both PHP and SQL Support!

My server runs on a dual proc 450 Mhz Pentium II machine under Linux OS (Suse 9.3)
I bought it for $50 at a yard sale, I hooked it up to my DSL line and use Dynamic IP service to use the domain...
For half the price of one of those cheap hosting accounts I get a dedicated server totally under my control and get a lot more than just web hosting! I also have an IRC server, Email, streaming media server, I can even run Flash communication server aside from the usual PHP and MySQL...

Joomla flies on that old machine!
Last edited by Asphyx on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve F J
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Steve F J » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:32 pm

AmyStephen wrote: If you get stuck, Steve, and can't get your post answered, feel free to PM me -- I'll try to find someone smart to help you!
Amy
You're what I call a True Star. Much appreciated.  :)

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Asphyx wrote: First off no one is leaving Joomla...Where this notion came from I just don't know...
Hey! You got it here, first! NO-ONE is leaving. And, he is from NYC, so, I think ya'll better stay put.

No problem, Steve, I'm just going make Asphyx help you, anyway  ;)

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”