stupid questions

Reaction to the statement posted on www.opensourcematters.org
zippy the pin head
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

stupid questions

Post by zippy the pin head » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:44 am

Hi

I know this is a stupid question but I don’t understand why miro taking control of its own product is such a big issue.

If miro at least co own the IP behind mambo then why is it such a big issue if wants to make some money out of it?

Miro is a for profit business, if you keep preventing software companies from making profit from software who is going to pay your day jobs?

Maybe someone can explain to me why making a profit has become a crime?

Am I missing something obvious?

louis.landry
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: stupid questions

Post by louis.landry » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:49 am

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joomla Platform Maintainer
A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.

zippy the pin head
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by zippy the pin head » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

webImagery wrote: There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...

with this sort of attitude I am not surprised Miro wants to take back control.

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Elpie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:10 am

zippy - its not what they have done, its the way they have done it.  To get an insight into what has happened you will need to spend some hours reading through the Announcements at the mamboserver forum, then check out their press releases and read the documention they have provided for the Foundation.  Then you need to take into account their actions on that forum - the way they banned users (many of whom were just asking questions and expressing concern, and who were not flaming or breaking forum rules), the way they took over admin accounts and used them, booted moderators, and generally clamped down on anything they perceived as not necessarily supportive of the Foundation and/or Miro. 

There is little point in asking people why it is such a big deal as everyone has their own opinion and their own reasons for breaking away from the Miro/Mambo organisation. or for staying with it, if that is what they have decided.  If you read all the material, you can make your mind up for yourself as to whether you think what they have done is a good thing or not. 
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Elpie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:17 am

zippy the pin head wrote: with this sort of attitude I am not surprised Miro wants to take back control.
Hey zippy - please don't let it get to you.  One persons comment does not a community make!
There are loads of very unsettled people here and in the other forums.  The change, and the speed with which it has happened, has one heck of a lot of people on edge and some very nice people are just getting a little snappy at times because of all the uncertainty.  We all need to just be patient and let things settle down.
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:19 am

that is a very very wise post
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

gram
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by gram » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:39 am

@zippy,

My own reasons go to user contributed code.  Many, many users contributed code because they felt (and had no reason to see otherwise) that their contributions (think hours, time, $$$) were being contributed to an initiative that was in control of the user community.

From the way things look now, Miro is turning this into a profit vehicle, and users who were automatically included before now have to pay fees, dues whatever...  to continue to enjoy contributor status.  Open source projects generally benefit tremendously from the contributions of everyone involved, not just those who can pay to participate.  This means paying users will be in control of the source code and its development.  It goes against the grain of what an open source intitiative is all about, and exclude many potentially valuable contributors.

Just my $.00002
GRAM
http://coders.mlshomequest.com/ < -- Developer of samSiteMap component

benwk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by benwk » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm

@ Elpie

I agree with TJay completely. Very sage.

Return to “Reaction to the 'Letter to the community'”