Can someone explain this to me like I'm a five year old?

Reaction to the statement posted on www.opensourcematters.org
TonyNYC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can someone explain this to me like I'm a five year old?

Post by TonyNYC » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:57 pm

Ok, I have just recently gotten into building sites for fun and for friends.  When I found mambo, I was amazed and very impressed.  I have done a few simple sites and am learning more every day.  I have a bank of mods and comps and hacks that I have catalogued and saved.  Now all of a sudden I see that the core team has left the main project and started a new one.  The only way I found that out was by going to mamboportal...none of the regular mambo sites say a damn thing about losing their main guns...this is a little sketchy to me.  It seems obvious that the peeps that started joomla are the real deal as well as the heart of the original mambo effort.  Sadly, I can only find their names on this portion of the mambo site (the honour roll):

http://www.mamboserver.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=97

The names of the three corporate folks: Peter Lamont, Jim Begley and Justina Phoon, are listed brightly on the first page.  I don't understand the mentality of these people in not working with the core team. What are you guys thinking and how big are your heads?

Many people from everywhere have put great effort into everything mambo: hacks, templates components, mods, discussion, helping eachother, making it so website Dr. Frankensteins like myself can build a competent website.  My main concern is that this split is a setback and a contradiction to the whole idea of open source as I understand it.  Working together is imperative to progress.  Making money is necessary to pay the bills. With such a great project, neither should be an issue.  If this is a setback, it may only be a temporary one.  If a true separation occurs between the two CMS's, it may be the best thing that every happened and lead to the evolution of one or both systems in a superior manner.  The peeps at mambo could remember where and how things started and work with, not separately from joomla.  Joomla peeps could do the same.  And also for the joomla peeps,  a novice like myself has trouble understanding how things like this happen when its supposed to be a group effort.  Regardless, thanks to all for such an intense tool.

deleted user

Re: Can someone explain this to me like I'm a five year old?

Post by deleted user » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:41 pm

Miro started Mambo as a part of their business back in 2000, IIRC. The following year, to help get greater input to Mambo, it was changed to an open source project. 4 years later we now have an award-winning program. Miro set up the Mambo Foundation to oversee the project - a wise decision, ensuring that a structure of healthy and practical management and accountability is in place as well as keeping Mambo independent of Miro.

What has gone wrong is: (a) the leadership of the Mambo Foundation happen to all be on the paid staff of Miro, which puts into question its independence, and (b) that none of the development team were invited to be part of the project's management. Not one of them.

A saying we use in the UK is "someone moved the goalposts."

The result is the wholesale departure from Mambo of the development team, along with a copy of Mambo, which, being open source software, they are allowed to do. Looking at the number of 3rd party developers announcing allegiance to the Joomla! version and the 4,000+ signed-up members to the Joomla! forum, the vote of support for the team that has developed Mambo over the years continues with the software that as of 1st September is now known as Joomla! Miro will continue to develop Mambo using a new team of developers, although inevitably Mambo and Joomla! will become quite different as new versions are released.

That's as I understand it, although you may need to be a bit older than five to understand this!  :)
Last edited by deleted user on Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoomer
I've been banned!

Post by zoomer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:23 am

lester wrote:
That's as I understand it, although you may need to be a bit older than five to understand this!  :)

Tommy and Billy got some play-dough from their Mommy, but their Mommy would only let them make certain things with it. Billy didn't like that so he swiped some of the play-dough and went to live with Daddy so he can make whatever he wants out of it. Daddy even lets Billy invite friends over whenever he wants so they can make even better things out of the play-dough.
i am who i am, but most times i don't even know who that is.

MystaMax
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by MystaMax » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:33 am

zoomer wrote: Daddy even lets Billy invite friends over whenever he wants so they can make even better things out of the play-dough.
at least they think its play-dough! LOL (im sorry i couldn't resist!) :laugh:  ;D

on a serious note, thats as simple as I can see anyone putting it.

TonyNYC
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TonyNYC » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:37 am

fu#$in A man...hilarious, and I asked for it!

Return to “Reaction to the 'Letter to the community'”