www.Phil-Taylor.com joins with Mambo Dev Team...

Reaction to the statement posted on www.opensourcematters.org
PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

www.Phil-Taylor.com joins with Mambo Dev Team...

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:18 pm

.. in supporting their actions.

I have stayed very quiet during the recent situation, choosing to correspond directly by email rather than in public forum, however now is the time for me to post publically.

My response to those still emailing me to comment on Miro's actions is still "No Comment".

However, my comments about the core teams actions....
I have given my full support to Andrew Eddie (And therefore the whole team) in making the very difficult and hard decision to make a stand and to make open source matter.

Those that have been with Mambo from the day one, the day when Miro pulled the Mambo code from Sourceforge and then appointed Robert Castley to take mambo forward will know the full story of Mambos success, that is, many people making an "ok" product into an award winning product that can beat the likes of Firefox in a fight. Andrew Eddie and the team are the real stars here and deserve all the Awards they get.

I personally feel people that have been in Mambo since day one, pleople like  Emir, Andrew, Robert and a few others are the only people that really know the whole story, the history and the the issues involved.  I too have been there since day one. 
Others that do not have the full story, dont understand the relationship and history mambo and miro have and dont understand how opensource is not about wages and not about awards but that open source is a passion, will never understand how this situation appeared or some of the actions that were taken by the core team (or indeed by miro).

Mambo is free, GPL and will always be so, it is built by passion and not by the carrot of wages, its driven by feedback from the community and the skills of the core dev team, not by deadlines and project budgets.

I, as one who makes a financial full time living from custom solutions involving open source software at the same time as contributing hours of free time to the Mambo Core Code and in other free ways, have a huge vested interest in the success of the award winning software currently known as Mambo (Things like content rating, PDF's, Newsflash publishing, SEF and even mambots were either written by me or (in the case of mambots & SEF Urls) pushed to the forefront of development out of a need to have them for commercial customers.

Open source and Commercial services can work together and do work together in many places (Think about what opensource software runs your webserver, the internet DNS servers and think about the fact that that you probably pay for it somehow!)

I appreciate that the Core team at this time cannot say probably what they want to say publically - This I know is very frustrating, however I am sure the many kind works of community members worldwide is helping them get through this.  So if you have not yet said something encouraging or supportive why not do it now, by email or PM, or in a forum. (Remember private encouragement is better than public praise - always)

As a public, and private, show of support to the cause of OSM, Blue Flame IT Ltd are pleased to announce that they will make a donation of AUS$1000.00 on request from the core dev team, in order to pay anything they need to pay. 

We urge all other businesses and individuals to follow our example and pledge support, in fact to "put your money where your mouth is" (To coin an english expression)

"Open source software is an idea whose time has finally come. For twenty years it has been building momentum in the technical cultures that built the Internet and the World Wide Web. Now it's breaking out into the commercial world, and that's changing all the rules. Are you ready?" cite: http://www.opensource.org/
Hi Phil,

In light of these recent issues with Mambo/Miro and the ex-Mambo Core Development Team, will you be working with them on your components for sale with a new CMS, or continue with Mambo?

-William
My reply:
I never had, nor ever will have any commercial arrangement with Miro. The only legal agreement between myself and Miro (And this is the same agreement the core team have ALL signed, to the best of my knowledge) is a "Joint Copyright Assignment by the Contributor" agreement.

I shall continue to develop services and products (both commercial and opensource - all available from my website at http://www.phil-taylor.com) that fulfil needs of the community, it seems, from what I read, the community will be using the Mambo version developed by the core dev team, what ever that will be called, (Besides, Miro have no developers now, do they?!)

What the community wants, they will get
Last edited by PhilTaylor-Prazgod on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Taylor
- https://mySites.guru - Manage Multiple Joomla/WordPress Sites In One Dashboard for Security, Audits, Backups and more....
- https://www.phil-taylor.com/

ex-mamber

Re: www.Phil-Taylor.com joins with Mambo Dev Team...

Post by ex-mamber » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:29 pm

Good to see your support to the Core.
Funny, when I tried your live support just a few hours ago,
it said you were there, but you never answered -to just these questions :)

Any Core dev or youself, care to post the contents of this "Joint Copyright Assignment by the Contributor" or is this not possible due to legal matters again? Just out of interest..

And if someday, someone has a few spare moments to sum up what "only people that really know the whole story, the history and the the issues involved" know, that would be great..

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:36 pm

ex-mamber wrote: Good to see your support to the Core.
Funny, when I tried your live support just a few hours ago,
it said you were there, but you never answered -to just these questions :)
Hey Its Sunday :-) Was either at church or spending time planning the finer details of my wedding :-) Mambo may well be my full time life but Trevena, my fiance, comes a close second :-) (Or joint first :-) )
ex-mamber wrote: Any Core dev or youself, care to post the contents of this "Joint Copyright Assignment by the Contributor" or is this not possible due to legal matters again? Just out of interest..
Um I dont have a scanner here but it has 3 points and I signed mine on the 01/09/04 - let me make a final legal check and maybe I'll retype the text (As its not that long)
ex-mamber wrote: And if someday, someone has a few spare moments to sum up what "only people that really know the whole story, the history and the the issues involved" know, that would be great..
I simply mean the whole Miro/Mambo story from the day when Miro pulled the code from Sourceforge (There is a link to Peter Lamont's statment somewhere in waybackmachine) and the real reasons he pulled it (to stop people using it under a license that allowed them to modify it - i guess) and then rereleased it under Roberts management (community uproar! - GPL Allowances) - from that day right up to now, I guess there are only about 4 or 5 people who have been around, and privy to the core devs mailing list, from those days.
Last edited by PhilTaylor-Prazgod on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Taylor
- https://mySites.guru - Manage Multiple Joomla/WordPress Sites In One Dashboard for Security, Audits, Backups and more....

Dikud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dikud » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi Phil. Your words in supporting of DevTeam are the second good news today after Robert resigns from Mambo foundation Board. It will be very pleasant if you'll give us a bit a hope to see new versions of (ex)Mambo on this year ;)
Russian Docteam Leader
Russian Forum Moderator

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Dikud wrote: Hi Phil. Your words in supporting of DevTeam are the second good news today after Robert resigns from Mambo foundation Board. It will be very pleasant if you'll give us a bit a hope to see new versions of (ex)Mambo on this year ;)
Mambo is licensed under GPL, anyone who knows what that really means will know that anyone is licensed to modify and redistribute the core mambo code.

I believe that there is a good feeling in the Core Mambo Developers camp, and in the community for someone to release more Mambo versions in the future. 

That is all the hope I can give you, I have no inside information.
Phil Taylor

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:58 pm

What the community wants, they will get
Well said, nothing but the truth.

Dikud
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Dikud » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:26 pm

That is all the hope I can give you, I have no inside information.
You are right. It's only GPL is that Bible to vow fidelity in (ex)mambo CMS ;)
Russian Docteam Leader
Russian Forum Moderator

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:06 am

a little out of topic,..

very glad to see phil taylor on board!
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

http://www.joomlaconsultancy.net

Return to “Reaction to the 'Letter to the community'”