News section on www.opensourcematters.org

Reaction to the statement posted on www.opensourcematters.org
magic
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

News section on www.opensourcematters.org

Post by magic » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:49 pm

To who it may concern.
Especially dedicated to Peter Russel  ;)

A lot of folks declared support for the new Open Source CMS previously called Mambo here.
We use Forum to communicate and to look what is going on.

But the most of people interesting in Mambo CMS (or potentially – interesting in new one) still waiting with decisions.

Why?
Because absence of information for them.

No news are bad news!

Letter to the community on http://www.opensourcematters.org is not enough!
About us on http://www.opensourcematters.org is not enough!
FAQ on http://www.opensourcematters.org is not enough!
Forum is not enough too, because is too large, too many posts and threads here. On the forum is simply too much information.

I think a News section on http://www.opensourcematters.org is immediately indispensable.

The most of people would like to have very simple, short and actual information like e.g. :
- important, actual facts concerning the new CMS life
- progress of building core development of new CMS now
- progress of translating …
- new translation teams and theirs websites supporting new CMS
- 3PDs declared supporting new CMS with theirs websites supporting new CMS
- other web sites supporting new CMS
- and so on …
… along with a lot of components and modules in Download repository by developers decided to support new CMS

Such section (information) will be very helpful to make decisions for people who did not decided yet to support and unite with new CMS team and product. I mean ordinary Mambo users but also supporters of previous Mambo software and project.
This will be not only source of information, but a kind of propaganda too. We need propaganda.

We will prove and show to the world that new CMS becomes a fact, not empty discussion.

I know what I say because some experience from Solidarity movement past in Poland. Without wide populating short handouts describing what is going on we could not to win against communist government.

What do you think?
Last edited by magic on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: News ( Announcements ) section on www.opensourcematters.org

Post by unity » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:56 pm

Magic has a good point here.

All the 'action' currently is in the forums - which is fine if you look but doesn't necessarily create a strong impression that the project is moving forward.

The one thing Miro hve done in the last few days is keeping pumping items into the news pages at Mamboserver so it at least looks like business as usual, whatever else may be going on behind the scenes.

We don't need to go to town here, but a maybe a news section with one or two short items a day, even if only linking/repeating stuff from the forums, may create a positive impression that things are moving ahead.

magic
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: News section on www.opensourcematters.org

Post by magic » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 pm

Yes, indeed !
Our activity should "looks like usual business".
Their's should look like panic moves.

This forum is full of actual information.
Everything we need is a kind of short report of this.
And we have the best CMS to do it - why not to use it now?

Additional question: why not to use Download repository on http://www.opensourcematters.org to offer the software (components, modules, bots, templates) made by developers declared participation to this new project? This could to convince a lot of people ...

mediamagnate
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

It Feels like Christmas as a Child

Post by mediamagnate » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:54 pm

Can't disagree with Magic on too much here at all. Yes, we have plans to open up traditional and new ways of comminicating with our audience. We, as you can appreciate, are actually laying down the  foundations of a very bright future. And despite comments to the contrary in press, we were not aware we'd be in this position 10 days ago.

The whole experience, not only for the core teams but the community, I think is a bit like Christmas as a child. The days seem to roll on too slowly with no present in sight! "We want it now!", don't we? :)

We we will be making some exciting announcements this week and you'll probably see me posting less frequently this week as I address some of the points you've discussed here. Thanks for letting me know I've been spending too much time in the Virtual BBQ.
magic wrote: Such section (information) will be very helpful to make decisions for people who did not decided yet to support and unite with new CMS team and product. I mean ordinary Mambo users but also supporters of previous Mambo software and project.
This will be not only source of information, but a kind of propaganda too. We need propaganda.
So far as propaganda — we'll leave the vacuous comments alone as we have no interest in debating misinformation. We have purposely sought and taken advice and we have chosen not to be magicians pulling white rabbits out of hats.

Thanks for your post.
Last edited by mediamagnate on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joomla is a project, not a product! www.nooku.org

magic
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: It Feels like Christmas as a Child

Post by magic » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm

mediamagnate wrote: Thanks for letting me know I've been spending too much time in the Virtual BBQ.
This was not my intention  ;)
We have our neighbour-site BBQ party ( http://forum.opensourcematters.org/inde ... 556.0.html ) made on the base of Your idea (you are invited!). May we ask for copyright exemption?  ;)
But small number of this party participants was an impression for me to think WHY.
mediamagnate wrote: The whole experience, not only for the core teams but the community, I think is a bit like Christmas as a child. The days seem to roll on too slowly with no present in sight! "We want it now!", don't we?
Yes. We want.
But everything I propose is to activate News section on existing http://www.opensourcematters.org including active short reports of what is going on (on the base of this forum's posts but not only - direct info from DevTeam would be highly appreciated).
And maybe some developers (interesting in) could to fulfill some place in Download repository (if they will have possibility) ...

I know - everything is temporary for now, but NOW is very important for future.
mediamagnate wrote: So far as propaganda — we'll leave the vacuous comments alone as we have no interest in debating misinformation. We have purposely sought and taken advice and we have chosen not to be magicians pulling white rabbits out of hats.
As "propaganda" I was mean reliable, true and actual information. This is the best "propaganda".

Maciek

alwarren
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by alwarren » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:58 pm

magic, we have to remember that, in the past few days, legal counsel advised the team to remain silent. They were smart to listen. Now, listen to what Peter Russell says. Something big is about to happen. That much is certain. I think we will all be pleasantly suprised very soon.
Al Warren
This ain't my first rodeo. Red Foreman says it best.
CQDX de WR5AW

Deffexor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Deffexor » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:28 pm

I was just thinking about this last night actually.

The front page does need more information on it as to what's transpired recently. Maybe a post should refer to what other "news outlets" have said about this whole debacle.

OSM defininitely needs periodic updates.

lester
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by lester » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:53 pm

The front page gives me the impression that you already need to know what Mambo is and have some understanding of the split.

Without breaking the silence that legal advice has offered there could (I'd say should) be some short introduction as to what the product is (part explanation, part sales talk) so that newcomers know very quickly that they have come to the right site.

Return to “Reaction to the 'Letter to the community'”