Joom!fish "What to show if" option

How to support more than one language on your site.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
badar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joom!fish "What to show if" option

Post by badar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 pm

Hello again dear Joomla guru's(hope you will save me again today  :-[ ) I have such trouble : my site is in 3 languages,and for translations i use Joom!Fish of course(the best!  :-* ) Buuut... If i have 3 languages,of course i have 3 type of visitor's that for example english speaking users don't wan't to read or even watch on news on russian,or russians' don't want to watch news on english...Soo,i have came apart on Joom!Fish option "What to show if..." ... but it only can do 1 option : if there is no translation available,it just writes default text like e.g "no translation" ... But i wan't that if russian language is selected,news on english language are hidden and reverse... If this is possible of course.

Best regards,
BadaR  :)

ivo.apostolov
I've been banned!

Re: Joom!fish "What to show if" option

Post by ivo.apostolov » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:01 pm

Not really. You can see the example of the multilanguage main menu or to use the new feature in 1.8 - Show original text with the available translations.

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Hello guys

I need the same thing: more languages (i'll have 8 or 9) and i don't want ANY content to be displayed if the item has not been translated into the currently selected language. No replacement text, no original content, nothing.
Question is: Can this be done?
A guy named Alex Kempkens sais here:
what you need to do is something like the different content areas. Check out the documentation of http://www.joomfish.net and there you find a how to about different content for different languages.

I think this what you are looking for
So i need to know if this can or cannot be done.
And if it COULD be done, if you'd want to do it, what files would you change?
This seems like a great option if it were available, cause untranslated items would then be invisible, so the languages would be both tied (in between translations) and untied (if no translation is available, it would not display)... this would be great

Thanks in advance... i really need this guys  :-\
Catalin
Last edited by catasoft on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

ivo.apostolov
I've been banned!

Post by ivo.apostolov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:40 pm

Search for ml_mainmenu

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:46 pm

ivo.apostolov wrote: Search for ml_mainmenu
The mainmenu works fine, and besides it contains few items so can be translated in all languages.
But the problem i have is with the content: in some languages the entire initial content will be translated, while in others maybe only 10%. So this is very very important to me, in order to keep the site nice looking (otherwise, in the less translated languages, there will be more "Not translated" messages than real articles :()

So i'd like to influence everything (or at least the content items):
  • front page items -if not translated- should not be displayed AT ALL
  • module items (newsflash, latest, etc)  -if not translated- should not be displayed AT ALL
  • and so on
Is there some kind of general entry point where i can say FALSE (if not translated) and the item will not be shown?

Thanks
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

ivo.apostolov
I've been banned!

Post by ivo.apostolov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:49 pm

Well, this is more or less access control issue rather than multilanguage. You need to control what to show when and to who?
The purpose of the fish is the translation or the ability to give you the chance to present any data in any language.

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:57 pm

Unfortunately, i want to present everything to everybody at everytime. No logging, everyone's guest, but the rendered output should differ depending on language :(
So are you saying this is not possible? At least for the front page, i'm sure it can be done. From code it should be easy to check if an item is translated or not and if it is not, NOT display it...

Do you think i should go for Multi-sites rather than translate a site using JoomFish?
And if i do, how do i synchronize between the Content Item from one site and the same in another site (language)?
Plus there would be the language-selection box issue...

What do you think?
Last edited by catasoft on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivo.apostolov
I've been banned!

Post by ivo.apostolov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 pm

Well, try with "translating" the publishing field of jos_content. Originally, if the value is 1, the article is published. Try to add that field and to translate the 1 to 0. I am sure this could work.

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm

This surely would seem to solve the problem.
Could u suggest the files to look at?
Is it administrator/components/com_joomfish/contentelements/content.xml?

So i should add a line like:
Publish Item

But i wonder why -if one marks a translation as Unpublished- the item is still displayed? This doesn't seem to be an intuitive behavior.
Anyway, i could dive into the JF code, if there would be some documentation, or if i already knew the Joomla internals...
Otherwise, i think it's not an easy task, no matter how experienced one is :(

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:10 am

Hey Ivo

Could you please suggest to me at least if the changes implied are as simple as i stated above, or imply looking inside source code  ???
This would be a great start for me...  :-[ 

armodude
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by armodude » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Hello. This issue is also of very big importance to me. I think it should be clear that one of the most logical cases for "if there's no translation" should be "don't publish item".

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 pm

And yet this is no included.
I for one have started to change the sources, but i fear the fish may not be very stable...  ???
Also, i was wondering if certain modules -like the "Most popular items" module- display items different in every language. Cause what happens if the most popular items in English are not translated in French? Then this module would display untranslated articles. Instead, it should display the French items that are most visited...
Anyway, there are many questions and issues that arise when one starts to implement a truly multi-language site...

Catalin

merlinus3000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by merlinus3000 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm in the same problem as mentionned above.

Here is the project :

A multi-country website, and depending on the countries, many languages. Some countries having 2 or 3 national languages.

Tought about using joomfish for having the appearance change (menu, modules, etc). But I want a different "content" for each country/language (news and information).

What is then the best solution I could use for that ?

Off-topic : is there a solution to detect the country from one is connecting and redirecting him to the right place ? Thanks

panter011
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by panter011 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:31 am

Hello Guys,
here is my opinion, I thionk we can accomplish this situation using joomfish, we will better have a look at the 'multisites' addon/component.
JYG

catasoft
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by catasoft » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:06 am

Hey there panter

You're right, the multisites component is right for the job, but is still limited.
I studied it, tried it, and the fact is, it does website cloning, with everything: database+files.
Now, since Joomla1.0.12 has some 3000+ files, i dislike this solution: if i have 4 languages, i don't want 12.000 files in my hosting account.
BUT
I made some twists in the code and managed to make things work after all, so that i only use one Joomla install and just switch between the databases.
I use OpenSEF+Multiple databases+some tweaks in the index.php
The multisites component can be used just to replicate the database, it doesn't do updating. For instance it doesn't know how to only copy the non-existent modules or components from main-database to new-database, so it overwrites everything there, and thus destroys language specific settings (such as module titles) one has set in a specific database.
If you're interested in more info on this, i could post more, maybe i will even create a component to handle all these details. But it may take a few weeks :)

Catalin
Last edited by catasoft on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

denton100
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by denton100 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Hello Ivo!
I have the same problems :'( i don't want any content to be displayed if the item has not been translated into the currently selected language. Is there a solution to fix this problem?

ivo.apostolov
I've been banned!

Re: Joom!fish

Post by ivo.apostolov » Tue May 06, 2008 2:32 pm

You should the multilanguage mainmenu, that is available. Although this was discussed a lot and is very tricky to hide untranslated content.

patterncatcher
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Joom!fish

Post by patterncatcher » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm

I know this is an old post, but what I would like to do is add a rel="canonical" tag to the head if the article is not translated, pointing to the article in the default language.

I am trying to write a plugin to do this, but I need to know how to find out if the current item is translated or not - is there a joomfish hook for this?

Thanks

Return to “Joom!Fish and Multilingual Sites”