JOOMFISH 1.7 Tips & tricks

How to support more than one language on your site.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

55thinking
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

JOOMFISH 1.7 Tips & tricks

Post by 55thinking » Thu May 18, 2006 6:18 pm

The following tips apply for Joomfish 1.7 stable & joomla 1.0.7. Not tested with other configuration

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP 1  - HOW TO LOAD A CSS DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Add the following tag in your template index.php file:

/templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

This will write CSS files, depending of the selected language: english.css, spanish.css, german.css, italian.css, portuguese.css, etc...

2. If your defaut joomla language is set to english, then leave english.css empty & place it in the /templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/ directory. Customize the other css files according to your needs. The most natural use is to change the path to an image file:

#whatever
{
background-image: url("../images/header_german.gif"); for the german.css file
}

#whatever
{
background-image: url("../images/header_spanish.gif"); for the spanish.css file
}

Place the produced CSS files into the /templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/ directory

THAT's IT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP 2 - HOW TO LOAD AN IMAGE IN YOUR TEMPLATE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the same  method lo load images placed in the template (please note that images placed in text are correctly managed with joomfish 1.7 stable):

/templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/images/IMAGENAME_.gif/jpg/png" alt="" width="" height="" />

Produce the different images with text, and name them

image1_english.gif
image1_german.gif
image1_spanish.gif
etc...

THAT's IT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP 3 - HOW TO LOAD SITE WIDE TITLE, META KEYWORDS & DESCRIPTION DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is a bit more tricky. We will need a core hack

1. Open includes/joomla.php file

Go to line 470 & 471 replace

$this->_head['title'] = $title ? $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];

by

// $this->_head['title'] = $title ? $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $
//title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];
$this->_head['title'] = $title ? _SITENAME . ' - '. $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];

2. Open includes/frontend.php file

Go to line 166/167 and replace

$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', $mosConfig_MetaDesc );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', $mosConfig_MetaKeys );

by

//$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', $mosConfig_MetaDesc );
//$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', $mosConfig_MetaKeys );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', _METADESC );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', _METAKEYS );

3. Add the following variables in your different language files (/languages/)

define( '_SITENAME', 'whatever here' );
define( '_METADESC', 'whatever here' );
define( '_METAKEYS', 'whatever here' );

THAT's IT This should work, and not erase dynamic titling & meta keywords&description per page appending

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIP 4 - HOW TO LOAD A MODULE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MODULE - http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg329684

Feel free to add your own tips in the thread below!!!

NEXT PENDING ISSUE FOR ME IS NOW A FULL COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN JOOMFISH & OPEN-SEF
Last edited by 55thinking on Fri May 19, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
55 Thinking - Strategy Design Technology 
Good looking, Fast and Usable web solutions   
http://www.55thinking.com/

eyezberg
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: JOOMFISH 1.7 Tips & tricks

Post by eyezberg » Thu May 18, 2006 8:34 pm

muy! lindo señor, this is going to be SO usefull for many site designers!
Do you mind if this gets "fished" into french and posted on joomla.fr (credits given of course)?
Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. AE
http://joomla15.[URL banned].com for J! 1.5 screenshots
http://www.eyezberg.com

55thinking
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by 55thinking » Fri May 19, 2006 6:55 am

No need to ask go ahead
55 Thinking - Strategy Design Technology 
Good looking, Fast and Usable web solutions   
http://www.55thinking.com/

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Fri May 19, 2006 8:10 am

Very well done 55,

just one side note.

In some circumstances the $mosConfig_lang variable isn't directly accessable in the template.

In that case you need to make sure the template script knows it by using a:

global $mosConfig_lang;

prior the first use.

about TIP 3:
The more effective and cleaner solution would be to overwrite those variables (e.g $mosConfig_sitename) within your language file.

The a bit crapy thing is - you would need to create a new instance of the $mainframe object or set the head array manually. But I would prefer this solution as it is less changes in core files.

Alex
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

designguru
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by designguru » Tue May 23, 2006 6:55 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm glad to see some of my innovations are being found useful ;)

Something else I want to use on this french-english site is a cookie that stores a user's language preference once they choose which one they want (currently I have that stored in a splash html file ie. http://www.kendryden.ca/index.html )

Anyone made such a cookie yet?

q./
Qasim Virjee - Principal, Design Guru
http://www.whyjoomla.comhttp://www.plantseedling.com
(web production & joomla advocacy firm based in Toronto, Canada)

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Wed May 24, 2006 8:14 am

This cookie is already set by the Joom!Fish. It's set per computer/browser of course.

Joomla! 1.5 will provide language selection per user, which is then stored in the user profile.

Alex
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 am

Hi 55,

I am going to sticky this topic, very valuable. Thanks!

Would it be okay if we take (some) these tips and put them on our wiki site? See http://forge.joomla.org/sf/wiki/do/view ... TipsTricks

Regards Robin

hermoye
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hermoye » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:49 am

Hi,

Thans for your tips. I tried to use "TIP 3 - HOW TO LOAD SITE WIDE TITLE, META KEYWORDS & DESCRIPTION DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?".

Actually, it seems to work only on some pages, and not on the home page.
I tried to also change joomla.php line 422:
"$this->_head['title'] = $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];" -> "$this->_head['title'] = _SITENAME; "

but the problem is that language file has not been read yet when this line is executed. So it displays "_SITENAME".

I tried to put put :
"include_once( $mosConfig_absolute_path .'/language/' . $mosConfig_lang . '.php' );"

before the call to :
$mainframe = new mosMainFrame( $database, $option, '.' );

in index.php

Then _SITENAME is replaced, but the titles remains only in the default language.

Do you have any idea to solve this problem ?

Thanks,

Laurent

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:16 am

Hi,

just a short questions? Are those hints already implemented in our WIKI?

Thx
Alex

Robin
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Robin » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Alex,

I have asked 55 once, but he never replied. Seemed only fair to ask him first  ;)

fire2006
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

how can I integrate joomfish with a 3rd party component?

Post by fire2006 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Woah, very cool tips! Thanks! 

1) Does anyone know of any documentation that explains how to make a 3rd party app joomfish-able?

I am using a great calendar component by http://www.extrosoft.com/ called Thyme Calendar.  Problem is, it is not multi-language programed... and I have 3 different asian audiences viewing my website.

2) How, therefore, can I hack thyme to use Joomfish's language files for calendar dates etc?
3) Also, how can I make the calendars content to allow for multiple translations through joomfish?

Please help shed some light!

thanks so much!
Paul Preibisch - Educational Technologist
Fire Centaur - English Village - Secondlife
http://slurl.com/secondlife/English%20V ... %20Village&

dweezil99
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dweezil99 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:24 am

Tip #1

should I really 'add' the tag after the existing css include tag?

uniterre
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by uniterre » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Please, how TO LOAD A CONTENT ITEM DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE ?

with Joomfish, is it possible to select just the ID of a content item in the translation page ? So we don't translate the content but we switch to another content item.

Thanks,
Alexandre

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Joomfish, the pathway tip

Post by infograf768 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Thought I would share with you this code to get a language-dependant pathway in a Joomfish site:

Just add in your template where you want the pathway to display, the following lines (here for French and English).

Code: Select all

<?php  if($mosConfig_lang == 'english') { echo '<div id="pathwaynest" align="left"><p class="pathwaytext">You are here: '; include "pathway.php"; echo '</p></div>'; }?>

<?php  if($mosConfig_lang == 'french') { echo '<div id="pathwaynest" align="left"><p class="pathwaytext">Vous êtes ici : '; include "pathway.php"; echo '</p></div>'; }?>
PS: thanks to Pasamio for helping me resolving some issues.  ;)
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

comeback
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by comeback » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:30 pm

really exelent! Just what i needed

dweezil99
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dweezil99 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:10 am

Many thanks.

marian
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:13 am

55thinking wrote: The following tips apply for Joomfish 1.7 stable & joomla 1.0.7. Not tested with other configuration

TIP 1  - HOW TO LOAD A CSS DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?

1. Add the following tag in your template index.php file:

/templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

This will write CSS files, depending of the selected language: english.css, spanish.css, german.css, italian.css, portuguese.css, etc...

2. If your defaut joomla language is set to english, then leave english.css empty & place it in the /templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/ directory. Customize the other css files according to your needs. The most natural use is to change the path to an image file:

#whatever
{
background-image: url("../images/header_german.gif"); for the german.css file
}

#whatever
{
background-image: url("../images/header_spanish.gif"); for the spanish.css file
}

Place the produced CSS files into the /templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/css/ directory

THAT's IT

TIP 2 - HOW TO LOAD AN IMAGE IN YOUR TEMPLATE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?

Use the same  method lo load images placed in the template (please note that images placed in text are correctly managed with joomfish 1.7 stable):

/templates/YOUR TEMPLATE NAME/images/IMAGENAME_.gif/jpg/png" alt="" width="" height="" />

Produce the different images with text, and name them

image1_english.gif
image1_german.gif
image1_spanish.gif
etc...

THAT's IT

TIP 3 - HOW TO LOAD SITE WIDE TITLE, META KEYWORDS & DESCRIPTION DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE FRONT-END SWITCH ?

This one is a bit more tricky. We will need a core hack

1. Open includes/joomla.php file

Go to line 470 & 471 replace

$this->_head['title'] = $title ? $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];

by

// $this->_head['title'] = $title ? $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'] . ' - '. $
//title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];
$this->_head['title'] = $title ? _SITENAME . ' - '. $title : $GLOBALS['mosConfig_sitename'];

2. Open includes/frontend.php file

Go to line 166/167 and replace

$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', $mosConfig_MetaDesc );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', $mosConfig_MetaKeys );

by

//$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', $mosConfig_MetaDesc );
//$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', $mosConfig_MetaKeys );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'description', _METADESC );
$mainframe->appendMetaTag( 'keywords', _METAKEYS );

3. Add the following variables in your different language files (/languages/)

define( '_SITENAME', 'whatever here' );
define( '_METADESC', 'whatever here' );
define( '_METAKEYS', 'whatever here' );

THAT's IT This should work, and not erase dynamic titling & meta keywords&description per page appending

TIP 4 - HOW TO LOAD A MODULE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE

MODULE - http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg329684

Feel free to add your own tips in the thread below!!!

NEXT PENDING ISSUE FOR ME IS NOW A FULL COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN JOOMFISH & OPEN-SEF
:o help! I am a total newbie to joomla, I am trying to change the language of my site (to Hebrew) - I just dont get it - when you say add... replace... Am I taking the source of the site created by joomla, editing it and then using it as any other website I created before the days of Joomla? can I then go back to Joomla (say to add another category) or will it then only be able to handle its own creations and I will have to re-edit the the lines each time? ??? 

Ifrit
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Ifrit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 am

akede wrote: Very well done 55,

just one side note.

In some circumstances the $mosConfig_lang variable isn't directly accessable in the template.

In that case you need to make sure the template script knows it by using a:

global $mosConfig_lang;

prior the first use.

I require a bit of help here, I do not fully understand what it is I need to do exactly...

I need to use the $mosConfig_lang variable, but it I need to call it in a place that is out of reach, or "not directly accessable in the template", I need to call it on VirtueMart template (browse_1.php template), it's simply not returning anything if I do a

Can you help me, Alex? I have a bit of an urgency here  :-[

dweezil99
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dweezil99 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:44 am

Regarding TIP 4 - HOW TO LOAD A MODULE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE...

Imagine I wanted 2 "Random Image" modules.  One picking random English images and one picking random Spanish Images, I could use this tip to do this but how can I install 2 random image modules.  Surely they cannot co exist as they will be called the same thing.

Any thoughts?

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Ifrit wrote:
I require a bit of help here, I do not fully understand what it is I need to do exactly...

I need to use the $mosConfig_lang variable, but it I need to call it in a place that is out of reach, or "not directly accessable in the template", I need to call it on VirtueMart template (browse_1.php template), it's simply not returning anything if I do a

Can you help me, Alex? I have a bit of an urgency here  :-[
Just add a

global $mosConfig_lang;

before the first use. This should make it available in general.

I do not know anything about virtualmart, just that there are some special things to have a look on. Have you seen the other threads about it?

Alex

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 pm

dweezil99 wrote: Regarding TIP 4 - HOW TO LOAD A MODULE DEPENDING OF THE LANGUAGE...

Imagine I wanted 2 "Random Image" modules.  One picking random English images and one picking random Spanish Images, I could use this tip to do this but how can I install 2 random image modules.  Surely they cannot co exist as they will be called the same thing.

Any thoughts?
You do not need to install them. You can copy modules in the module manager. With that you can create more than one instance of the module in your system.

BTW: nice idea

Alex

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:02 am

New soltion for Pathway here:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg520940

Enjoy!
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

gg4j
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gg4j » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Tryed the code:

Works, but error reported:
Use of undefined variable italian - assumed 'italian' in

..templates\nametemplate\index.php line ...

I tryed
inserting the line
global $mosConfig_lang;

above the if declaration, but it's the same..
Why does it say it's an undefined variable (or constant, after global $mosConfig_lang; declaration) if it can properly read it?

About the position of modules: is it possible to load the order of modules in the same position horizontally?

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 pm

What is the Joomla Variable to print the ISO language Code?

consigliere
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by consigliere » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:40 pm

I found it, it wasn't a var, it was a constant, the _LANGUAGE constant. I consider this piece of code very useful to segment sites in search engines depending on the language. The code below is used in the index.php template file. If you are interested, I grab it from  http://www.compassdesigns.net/tutorials ... orial.html

Code: Select all

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="<?php echo _LANGUAGE; ?>" xml:lang="<?php echo _LANGUAGE; ?>">
Last edited by consigliere on Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azrael
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Azrael » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:01 am

Great tips, this is most helpful. But how do I configure the menu names and links for each language?  ???

rued
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by rued » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 am

Regarding Tip 3, an better solution was missing in the Wiki so I wrote it today:
http://forge.joomla.org/sf/wiki/do/view ... itleTricks

@Joom!Fish Devs. please review and correct if needed.  ;)

NOTE! There seems to be an issue with 3. pd components for site title, the meta tags are translated but not site title - any idea why and what to do about it? On core Joomla! components the title is translated correctly..
Last edited by rued on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune Rasmussen - http://www.syntaxerror.no
Norske nettløsninger og integrasjoner, CONSIGNOR EDI, Mamut ordreimport og produkteksport, kortbetaling og faktura m.m.

Norsk Joomla! - Norwegian Translation Team - http://www.norskjoomla.no

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:09 pm

As far as I know there is an overall issue with the Metatag information and site title in general. This should be solved in 1.8 release.

I'm still not 100% sure where to place those dialogs. They are supossed to be related to the language configuration. But I do not want to blow up this table with those information as I think they do not really belong there.

I don't have a clear idea in mind yet. Suggestions welcome

Alex

PS: As the forge seems to be very slow again I will review your entry a bit later

rued
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by rued » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:31 pm

Ok, thanks for your reply Alex.
akede wrote: I'm still not 100% sure where to place those dialogs. They are supossed to be related to the language configuration. But I do not want to blow up this table with those information as I think they do not really belong there.

I don't have a clear idea in mind yet. Suggestions welcome
As I newer has been digging deeper into the Joom!Fish code, I can't tell you whats best to do from a coders view.
But for me as an site admin and/or user I would expect to find those in the list with the rest of the translations, maybe under the name "Site Title/Metas" (or something like that) in the drop down list.

Hope this helps..  ;)
Rune Rasmussen - http://www.syntaxerror.no
Norske nettløsninger og integrasjoner, CONSIGNOR EDI, Mamut ordreimport og produkteksport, kortbetaling og faktura m.m.

Norsk Joomla! - Norwegian Translation Team - http://www.norskjoomla.no

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:26 am

Joop helps a lot as this is definitly one option.

Alex

Return to “Joom!Fish and Multilingual Sites”